Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

PLEASE LOOK AT THE DATE BEFORE REPLYING !!!!!

Page 0 + 1 of 34

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 9 Apr 2008 13:31

VERY old dates on threads.

Hi everyone, i'm just have a general moan, but when you are searching the boards by name, can you please check the date on the thread before you reply!!

Today as with every other day we are having alot of threads being pulled up that are ancient.... some are over 4 years old.....!!!

Genes keeps all threads in it's database so people looking for family members in time to come can find out who else has been looking.....

....but PLEASE, if you are searching check the date on the thread before you reply. If the thread is relatively old, i mean does anyone check a thread they posted in Jan this year let alone 3 years ago??

The best option is to PM the person the thread belongs to (click on their name), make reference to the original thread and sit and wait for a reply. Alot of people may not even be here anymore, and those of us who are still here have to wade through all the old messages trying to get to the new ones!!

Sorry to have a moan on a lovely afternoon...

Tracey

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 9 Apr 2008 13:36

Hi

Thanks Tracy, I've just spent the last 30 mins finding info for a post that was 3 years old!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wished I'd have seen your message before.

Cheryl

Dea

Dea Report 9 Apr 2008 13:58

Hi Tracey,

I have said this myself many times recently and DO second (AND third!) what you have just posted.

The person MAY still be looking and appreciate a contact but by PM is best.

It may be that they have found all the info since posting and it is really a waste of people's effort when they could be finding out things for someone else.

Dea x

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 9 Apr 2008 14:00

I think the main bug bear for me is that people when they have found what they want... do not go back and close the thread.

This for anyone who doesn't know merely means you add the additional words **Closed** after your subject line.

This can all be done quite simply with the edit command on your first post of a thread.

michelle 1981

michelle 1981 Report 9 Apr 2008 15:16

What can i do if the person doesn't get back in touch even after a pm?

cos i'm waiting for a couple of people to get back to me but i don't think they will.

Pam

Pam Report 9 Apr 2008 15:20

A lot of the old threads are pulled out by newbies who do not understand that their reply then appears on Trying to Find. With the old system we never knew what, if any, information had been supplied because it was all pm's.

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 9 Apr 2008 15:22

Michelle,

The chances are they are no longer a fully paid up member?

Maybe they joined the site and lost interest and no longer check for their messages.

Altho i have to say i had a reply from someone who replied like i messaged yesterday... it's been 9 months!!! i had to go back 30 pages nearly on my pm's to find the original message!

So don't give up hope!

*note to self, need to clear up pm's*

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 9 Apr 2008 15:50

n

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 9 Apr 2008 23:21

I think newbies think that all messeages posted on the boards will go direct to the posters e.mail.

This DOES NOT happen.

...but it DOES if you send a PM (click on the name)

Then if your lucky, they still have the same e.mail account.

Well said Tracy

Gerri x

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Apr 2008 05:24

great thread ... fully agree!

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 10 Apr 2008 08:17

I def think they need to consider an 'Archive' link on the left.... so those who want to view messages 2 years or more old can go there....

The problem is there is no real solution... or timeframe !.... To me last months messages are old unless they are long running ones...

So where does the line start?

Tracey

Mazfromnorf

Mazfromnorf Report 10 Apr 2008 09:54

Thankyou will take on board we should have a new users code by the ones who spend so much time helping us maz

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 11 Apr 2008 02:26

June 2003 must be the record so far

Maureen

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 11 Apr 2008 02:37

Old posts need to change colour after a year, most people leave by then.

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 11 Apr 2008 09:36

Very new to computer and it's jargon what is PM?

Mazfromnorf

Mazfromnorf Report 11 Apr 2008 09:42

A pm is the private message instead of clicking on add you click on to the persons name and can contact them direct .I think I have got it right maz

David

David Report 11 Apr 2008 10:47

This info should be a Sticky for Newbies

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Apr 2008 20:02

n

Julie

Julie Report 11 Apr 2008 23:02

I just ignore them as i don't think people realise that when they reply to a thread through the name summary it will bring the thread to the front of this page & the same will happen on the History board

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 12 Apr 2008 10:03

Older thread usually show the original poster's surname