Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Reporting threads !!

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*** Mummo ***

*** Mummo *** Report 22 Jan 2012 14:35

When someone RR's a post why not put the name up of who reported it, surely no one could object to this as if you were really against a thread for a real reason people would understand why and then the people with itchy fingers might think twice about reporting.

Julia

Julia Report 22 Jan 2012 14:38

I second that Mummo. It would help the RR'd poster to understand why they had been RR'd. in the first place.

Julia in Derbyshire

PS. I hope you had a trouble free journey Mummo, from Cheshire to Portsmouth, during the holiday period.

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 22 Jan 2012 14:39

Great idea, Mummo! If you care enough to object to a post then why not let everyone know who you are! XX

Rambling

Rambling Report 22 Jan 2012 14:48

The only drawback on that is that non paying members can RR, so they couldn't be named I don't think?

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 22 Jan 2012 14:53

As I said on another thread regarding a post on it,

"Isn't it enough evidence that GR deemed it suitable to stay & reinstated it in the first place ?

I'm sure they don't look upon those abusing the RR system to score points favourably and I did hear persistent reporters doing this could get warnings and bans of their own "

:-)

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 22 Jan 2012 15:02

Point scoring?....as if :-D

*falls off crutch*

Julia

Julia Report 22 Jan 2012 15:12

Mildred, on the point scoring, well, I'll have to take your word on that, as it has been very much like that in the past.
What of the scenario, whereby, someone puts up a thread. people post on the thread. Then comes along someone who doesn't like the new poster, for whatever reasons, so they press the RR button, irrespective of what that person has contributed to the thread.
Now, don't tell me that isn't point scoring, because in my book it certainly is.

Julia in Derbyshire

PS. Memo to self, make it your life's work to find out who doesn't like you, and the other poster that was RR'd., for whatever reason, other than the content.

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 22 Jan 2012 16:02

altho good in theory,
practically that wouldnt work, as the person named would then be hounded as to why they felt the need to RR, like happens now if people disagree with the topic,
altho a little PM to the OP doesnt work as then there is an outcry of, "iv took if of because """"" asked me to, resulting in the person asking being quized as to why they have asked for it to be removed :-(

and yes mildred your right an ex member was warned that if they continues to report willy nilly they would be baned from the boards :-|

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 22 Jan 2012 16:16

I would also suggest that non paying members are not permitted to RR posts.

I'd be quite happy to hold my hands up to any RR i've submitted. Though they are few and fair between because as a rule I'm in favour of letting folk have their say whether I agree with them or not.....

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 22 Jan 2012 16:19

i definitly agree non paying members should not be able to RR,

they wana say n censor whats on the boards they should pay for the privalige lol x

*** Mummo ***

*** Mummo *** Report 22 Jan 2012 16:20

Also l still think its wrong that "free members " can RR.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 22 Jan 2012 16:29

i dont think non paying members should be allowed to RR
but whos to say its a none paying member in recent events

just got one thing to say to the RR er

:-P :-P :-P
sour grapes

Julia

Julia Report 22 Jan 2012 16:30

That is exactly what the Boston Tea Party was all about. No representation without taxation. So, if they do not pay any subs, they have no right to RR.

Julia in Derbyshire

Rambling

Rambling Report 22 Jan 2012 16:41

Julia it was "No taxation without representation" which is rather different ;-)

Julia

Julia Report 22 Jan 2012 16:46

Sorry Rose, got it the wrong way round, and I missed out the words " in reverse". But I know what I meant.
If people are not paying subs., why should they have a say on the boards.
Not very Democratic to me.

Julia in Derbyshire

Rambling

Rambling Report 22 Jan 2012 16:46

Stray is right though it would lead to hounding, even if the reasons for asking for the removal of the thread/post were justified...the poster's friends would not let it pass.

Rambling

Rambling Report 22 Jan 2012 16:49

I knew what you meant too Julia :-D

Julia

Julia Report 22 Jan 2012 16:54

Thanks Rose.

There has to be an answer to all this, but I, like everyone else, do not know what it is.
It causes everyone upset. Then that upset turns to suspicion.

Julia in Derbyshire

patchem

patchem Report 22 Jan 2012 18:23

If someone is a non-paying member but finds, when doing a google search, that their private details are being openly discussed on the boards, then surely they have a right to ask for action to be taken?
The boards are open to all to read.
As genes does not monitor itself, what else can someone do?

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 22 Jan 2012 18:30

I agree to a degree Patchem...and in that instance maybe they should be able to email support rather than have a post immediately unreadable to paying members when it's RR'd.x