General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Paranoid...

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Island

Island Report 4 Apr 2020 13:50

…. or just sensible?
Is anyone else swabbing down everything that comes into the house?

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 4 Apr 2020 13:54

I’m not, but I have just washed the kitchen floor but only the round mats not under them. :-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 4 Apr 2020 14:01

I have milk delivered in glass bottles and have recently started to wipe them over with a piece of kitchen roll wet with Dettol Anti Bac spray. before putting in fridge.

When daughter went shopping this week, she did the same for plastic wrapped items before they too were put in fridge.
Other items stayed in their shopping bags out of the way for a couple of days, before storing away.

Island

Island Report 4 Apr 2020 14:16

That's what we're doing Gwyn. Fresh fruit and veg stays outside.
With existing health issues you can't be too careful - as tedious as it is :-\

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 4 Apr 2020 14:29

I am leaving everything in the front porch and using anti-bac wipes on one item at a time before carrying them through to cupboard/fridge/freezer.

I open things like sugar etc and pour the contents into a plastic tub before ditching the packaging.

What is everyone doing with fruit? I am anti-bac wiping bananas before rinsing them but only rinsing apples, pears, grapes etc three times as Inormally do. Unusually for me, I am peeling pears before eating them.

I am sending ecards instead of proper cards.

I hate getting mail now. I use a tissue to hold envelope while I open it, peek inside and if it's a catalogue both go straight into the bin. If it's something important I get a wipe and do front and back of each page. I have a few wrinkly pages but, hey, they match OH and me! :-D

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Apr 2020 14:30

We've just started wiping things down with Dettol Spray or Dettol surface wipes before putting them away and being more careful about washing veg. Only started doing this since watching something on TV saying that although the risk from these items is very, very low it's worth doing it just to be on the safe side. Anything that helps get through this crisis quicker is worth a try.

Kath. x

Dermot

Dermot Report 4 Apr 2020 14:31

Mrs Bucket would be proud of you all. :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 4 Apr 2020 14:36

But Dermot, how do you know that we all ain't Mrs Buckets? :-D

Island

Island Report 4 Apr 2020 14:41

Not to forget Kim and Saggie Dermot :-D

'pay attention to the keyholes lovie'

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Apr 2020 14:46

Had a Sainsbury’s delivery yesterday evening and wiped down every outer container with a wipe

After putting it all away did a big hand wash and then a hand wipe with sanitizer wipes

Was speaking to daughter later on and she said mum you are getting paranoid ,!

But she also said she is she doesn’t want to go out at all as it frightens her

She is vulnerable having been through Hodgkin’s lymphoma and been left with peripheral nerve damage from the drugs

Her hubby is a lorry driver and still working and being over careful at every drop and pick up. .he is away all week and as soon as he came in last evening he stripped off and his clothes were in the washing machine and he was in the shower

He has to work as he won’t get paid if he doesn’t but too his loads are needed to keep businesses working .

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Apr 2020 14:48

Yes using dettol spray and kitchen paper on plastin stuf and also the mail and any other paper that comes into the house is picked up by gloved hands and a quick wipe with disinfectant (yes, wrinked paper). A carcboard box from Amazon for Oh yesterday got put in the conservatory and sprayed with dettol and left for 5/6 hours before opening the outer box with gloves. Apparently the virus can live on cardboard for 24 hours but not as long on paper (post etc_. Veg like courgettes and bananas, oranges I wash in soapy (washing up liquid) water and then rinse in hot water and dry with kitchen towel Veg in plastic I wash the plastic or wipe with disinfectant and then just wash as normal when the wrapping comes off. The problem is we don't actually know do we? We can only do our best.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 4 Apr 2020 14:54

I read somewhere that the usual freezing does not kill this virus. Daughter confirmed that she had heard this a couple of days ago too.

It does not like heat so we have had more cooked vegetables and no salads for about three weeks now. I am buying tomatoes and washing them thoroughly - same with cucumber but I always have peeled off the yukky green skin from those anyway.

I buy whole lettuces as well as bagged lettuce leaves and always rinse both in salt water but I have not bought these for a good while.

I have covered the dining table with a plastic tablecloth but left the kitchen table as it is as both are then easy to wipe with anti-bac wipes. I have not disturbed any dust on floors or furniture but shall do so before Easter as it is now more than three weeks since I did so. All wooden floors will then get disinfected.

My daughter, my neighbour and I are sharing delivery slots and using front porches to drop off and deliver. They are doing the same as I am with groceries. Daughter has begun to get hers delivered to the side gate so she can take items straight into the garage for disinfection.

What other things is everyone doing?

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 4 Apr 2020 15:01

Am same send messages on FB for birthdays etc.
FaceTime or phone to family and friends.

Doing the best we can to take care or ourselves and
like everyone else missing hugs and kisses from our grand children
and great grandies.

Don’t wear perfume as the smell of cleaning materials has taken
over and out does the perfume. :-)

Island

Island Report 4 Apr 2020 15:10

OH is beaching his birthday cards :-(

Don't forget to disinfect letter box flaps - as requested by PO

Barbra

Barbra Report 4 Apr 2020 15:12

All post & parcels wiped down Anti bacterial wipes before putting away. cupboard shelves work tops all wiped down .its just being careful veg fruit washing that before putting away what else can we do have health issues just stay safe all Barbara

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 4 Apr 2020 15:32

I wipe everything that comes into the house.

Because of my previous bowel operation it's not anything new TBH but I am extra careful at the moment.

I wipe all the door handles, letter box and door bell to protect others not just us. Our postie usually waves at us to indicate they'll leave small parcels outside the door. Previously they just opened the outer door and left the packages inside the porch.

Sue

Dermot

Dermot Report 4 Apr 2020 15:51

Common sense is invaluable.

Island

Island Report 4 Apr 2020 15:52

Here's a thought - what if all us unfit/mature people survive and all those who are still gadding about don't...…. Though heaven help the NHS
That'll be it! No next generation :-0 :-0

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 4 Apr 2020 17:00

I'm doing the same as all of you on here.
Washing and wiping down all my shopping, taking things out of cardboard boxes, leaving most things in the porch for a few days after being delivered.
I keep thinking perhaps I'm being paranoid but with our health issues I cant be too careful.
Its so hard not seeing the grandchildren but we do have face time which is better than nothing.
Take care everyone and stay safe <3 <3

Dermot

Dermot Report 4 Apr 2020 17:16

Instead of attending Sunday services, I can now watch the proceedings on Webcam.

Very bland. No atmosphere. And no 'collection' either! ;-)