Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Look Up and or Advice - McEwan or is it Ewing

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christopher

Christopher Report 26 Feb 2018 10:07

Hi

I have been looking for a breakthrough for my g Grandfather times 5 - I have his DC dated 1857 in Greenock where it lists his parents as Thomas McEwan and Bridget Semple (Ireland).

It has been suggested that Thomas McEwan may have been called Ewing (as there is a suggestion that the McEwan is a version of Ewing).

Any thoughts on this theory?

Any help appreciated before i spend two weeks chasing a ghost or a red herring

malyon

malyon Report 26 Feb 2018 10:36

when was he born

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 26 Feb 2018 10:37

Hi Christopher

Thomas McEwan born when and where?

Jean

Jean Report 26 Feb 2018 10:50

There is a Charles McEwan age 58 died 1857 in Greenock with mothers maiden name Semple. on Scotlands people.

Is this your man ?

Christopher

Christopher Report 26 Feb 2018 10:57

Hi All

Yes - i have Charles McEwan - he is the man - I have had the DC for years now - but it was only last night that someone suggested that Thomas McEwan (the father listed on the DC) may have been called Ewing.

I have done endless searches for Thomas McEwan and Bridget Semple (using dob circa 1770-1780 based upon the face that Charles was 57or 58 when he died (so I assumed DoB as circa 1799 or 1800.

I have made contact with people who have the same links but no one has progressed beyond this DC from 1857.

There was one thread i launched two years ago that suggested that I focus on Nimmo (he was a brother in law of Charles McEwan) who registered the death. The suggestion was that i focus on funds an area with Semple - McEwan and Nimmo.

Christopher

Christopher Report 26 Feb 2018 10:59

Also - i have sought to look at Thomas mcewan in scotland - there is a census reference of a man aged 60 in Lanark - but why would family all come to Glasgow then Greenock whilst the father went to Lanark...

I can feel frustration coming on again

Jean

Jean Report 26 Feb 2018 11:10

On the 1841 census on Scotlandspeople there is a Charles McEwan age 10 and the 1851 shows a Charles McEwan age 51 in Greenock but you would have to buy credits to look at the census.

Just had a look on Ancestry for these 2 .
Could only find 2 Charles b c 1801/3 both born in Ireland .

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 26 Feb 2018 18:47

1851 Vennel Greenock

Surname Forenames Relationship Marital Status Sex Age Occupation Birth County Birth Place Disability Notes

MCEWAN Charles Head M M 50 Gas Fitter Journeyman IRL -
MCEWAN Mary Wife M F 48 Fent Dealer IRL -
MCEWAN Mary Ann Dau U F 20 LKS Glasgow
MCEWAN Charles Son U M 19 Engineer Apprentice LKS Glasgow
MCEWAN Theresa Dau - F 7 Scholar RFW Greenock
MCEWAN Joseph Son - M 4 Scholar RFW Greenock
HARDEY Charlotte Niece U F 22 Dressmaker IRL -
ONEIL Catherine Servnt U F 20 House Servant IRL -

Would this be your man..?

If so there is a huge gap between Charles jnrs.Birth and Theresa's...maybe a 2nd marriage

Have you considered MCKEOWN..(tended to be the Irish Spelling.)

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 26 Feb 2018 19:35

https://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1356815?page=0

(above relating, with Death Cert. image, might need a magnifying glass, lol)

Chris :)

Christopher

Christopher Report 26 Feb 2018 20:20

Eringobragh - good to have you on board (remember the Susan Motherwell saga)

Chris - that was my previous request - if you go back t the thread someone told me that ewing was mcewan ??? think they may have been winding me up.

Having sid that i am going to search the brother in law that was listed in the DC (Nimmo) :-)

Chris Ho :) Report 26 Feb 2018 20:58

(from Census on other 'Thread')

1871 (Find My Past)
Thomas Nimmo Head Widower Male 55 1816 Railway Official Ireland
Rose Anne Nimmo Daughter Unmarried Female 29 1842 Housekeeper Greenock, Renfrewshire, Scotland
Teresa Nimmo Daughter Unmarried Female 15 1856 - Greenock, Renfrewshire, Scotland
15, Hope Street, Greenock, East Greenock, Renfrewshire,

02 January 1873 - Greenock Telegraph and Clyde Shipping Gazette -

Fatal Accident.
Last night Thomas Nimmo, carriage cleaner, in the employment of the Caledonian Railway Company, while standing on the line outside the passenger station had both his feet taken off by the pilot engine which was shunting carriages. The driver sounded his whistle, but Nimmo failed to get out of the way in time. He was removed to the Infirmary. The unfortunate man succumbed to his injuries in the Infirmary this morning. He was 59 years age, and resided at 15 Hope Street.

(if Daughter)

Scotland Marriages 1561-1910 Transcription (Find My Past)

First name(s) Rose Anne
Last name Nimmo
Marriage year 1873
Marriage date 14 Jan 1873
Marriage place Greenock Old Or West,Renfrew,Scotland
Spouse's first name(s) James
Spouse's last name Taylor
Place Greenock Old or West
County Renfrewshire

(just after 1851 Census, below)

First name(s) Thomas
Last name Nimmo
Marriage year 1851
Marriage date 13 Jul 1851
Marriage place West Or Old Parish,Greenock,Renfrew,Scotland
Spouse's first name(s) Charlotte
Spouse's last name Hardie
Place Greenock
County Renfrewshire
Country Scotland
Father's first name(s) James
Father's last name Nimmo
Spouse's father's first name(s) James
Spouse's father's last name Hardie

Christopher

Christopher Report 26 Feb 2018 21:29

Cor blimey - and i live in Darlington where trains were born

Christopher

Christopher Report 26 Feb 2018 21:31

just a quickie - do you get Scottish census through find my past rather than have to go through scotlandspeople

Chris Ho :) Report 26 Feb 2018 21:33

(only the transcript, you can't see the actual image!)

Christopher

Christopher Report 26 Feb 2018 21:40

cheers

Christopher

Christopher Report 27 Feb 2018 00:12

I now think i am looking for Thomas Ewing and Bridget Semple - a hunch is saying Donegal as i had a look a the 1834 allotment tithe books and they are in that area

Christopher

Christopher Report 27 Feb 2018 00:13

I now think i am looking for Thomas Ewing and Bridget Semple - a hunch is saying Donegal as i had a look a the 1834 allotment tithe books and they are in that area

Chris Ho :) Report 27 Feb 2018 07:15

So was the first wife of Thomas Nimmo, a Semple (if that is surname)?...

Would the Marriage Cert. of his Daughter give a clue to her Mother?...(not sure on Scot. Certs.)

You might have to go 'round the houses' a bit, to get there!...(back to Bridget, that is!)

(if you see an actual Scot. Census image, you should get Birthplace in Ireland, which should help perhaps, might just have to spend some pennies, lol)

https://digital.nls.uk/directories/browse/

(Scottish Post Office Directories)

(might find addresses on above)

(1860-61 has Thomas Nimmo,9, Market St)

(1849-50 has M'Ewan, Charles, bellhanger and gas fitter, 12 Vennel. notes further down, M'Ewan, Miss Mary, draper, 12, Vennel)

(that was his occ. on Death Cert.)

(1851-2, notes, Semple, Miss Catherine, spirit dealer, 10, Vennel)

(1841-42 M'Ewen, Mary, spirit dealer, 12 Vennel. M'Ewen, Mrs. cloth shop, 9, Vennel)

(seeing below, it was a shop)

13 December 1859 - Greenock Telegraph and Clyde Shipping Gazette

Mary Devine, a girl of 11 years of age, pled guilty to a charge of stealing from the shop of Anne Cunningham, 10 Vennel, a pint and a quart bottle.

Christopher

Christopher Report 27 Feb 2018 09:39

Bit to absorb here - but you have actually created a chink in the locked door. The Vennel is the common link and all the numbers have close proximity. I need a piece of paper and a towel for my head - this does start to add up if we have a Semple in proximity doing spirit dealing (she may have been a worker). Yes Semple is a name.

Christopher

Christopher Report 27 Feb 2018 09:51

Hi Chris Ho - are those references from census or posts office