Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WARNING ! .... Replies are NOT notified

Page 0 + 1 of 23

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mike *

Mike * Report 26 Jun 2010 21:12

The ONLY way you will see answers to your thread (question about your family) is to go back to your thread.

To do that all you have to do is click on 'MY THREADS' which is towards the bottom left of the page

When you've done that, next click on the title of the thread....ta da all the answers that have been posted are there for you

And to get back into that thread and post again....click on the purple 'REPLY' button and type in the blank box. When you've finished typing click on the submit button

Ginny

Mike *

Mike * Report 28 Jun 2010 14:41

PLEASE return to your threads and reply on them (instead of sending messages thru Genes).
Thank you

Dozey

Dozey Report 28 Jun 2010 14:55

I'm free Michael. To nudge up that is:-)

Mike *

Mike * Report 28 Jun 2010 18:09

At the risk of repeating myself ........

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE return to your threads and reply on them (instead of sending messages thru Genes).
Thank you

My inbox is full, the majority of which have no titles so have to track back to find which query they are about.

Mike *

Mike * Report 28 Jun 2010 21:36

nuther nudge

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Jun 2010 21:39

n to add to My Threads

Dozey

Dozey Report 28 Jun 2010 21:55

Think someone should open a book on how long it will be before we get a complaint on this one:-)))

By the way so you do not think I'm ignoring you - Hi Michael and Sylvia.

Dozey

Dozey Report 29 Jun 2010 08:29

Just sitting here singing along to The Animals hit. Good line this one at the moment I feel:-

Yes, I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood

Have a good day as our friends over the pond would say.

Mike *

Mike * Report 29 Jun 2010 11:38

Nice one Jeanie !

Dozey

Dozey Report 29 Jun 2010 14:21

Glad you liked it Michael:-)

We've just had a heavy shower. Hope that cools things down a little.

Mike *

Mike * Report 29 Jun 2010 20:11

Gentle reminder to return to your threads ... they won't come to you.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Jun 2010 00:10

n

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 30 Jun 2010 04:16

Hi - On the "Tips Board", I suggested a couple of ways to get automatic email notifications when there are any updates to a topic of interest (including ones bookmarked or in "My threads"):

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1227557

This seems to have gone down like a lead balloon and I am a bit baffled.

In the absence of the sort of inbuilt "thread subscription" system, ie. with automatic email alerts, that you normally get on message boards and forums, this seems like a handy work-around, to me anyway.

I have also been trying out another tool, called Web Page Scanner, and it just "dinged" and popped up a notice to tell me that a page I am monitoring has been updated - it also tells me which page has been updated and gives me a link to go straight to it :-)

I would be very grateful if someone could tell me [ politely :-) ] why I seem to be the only one around here who thinks that a "thread update alert" (inbuilt preferably or a workaround failing that) would be a nifty thing to have?

The fact that there do need to be "reminder" threads, constantly reminding people that they won't get alerted when there are updates, suggests that there is a need for an "automatic update alert" system. Doesn't it? Or am I missing something??? :-)

Best wishes,
Liz

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Jun 2010 05:00

Liz

I answered you on another thread as to why I don't think it a good idea, from my point of view

Why don't you put up your own thread on the subject and see what response you get on that?

EDIT:- sorry, have just seen that you have done that very thing!

It seems that you may indeed be the only person really concerned about it!!

sylvia

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 30 Jun 2010 05:25

Hi Sylvia - replied on the other thread about this on the Tips Board :-)

I take your point about being bombarded by updates - I am warming to the Web Page Update Scanner that beeps at me :-)

I can set it to scan every 15 mins and it doesn't email me - might be only available for Firefox though ;-/

Best wishes and thanks too for replying - when you replied the first time I mentioned this issue, a few days ago, I didn't understand why you were telling me about "My bookmarks" and "My threads" (knew about them already) but I understand now :-) ie. that you don't want to be bombarded by email alerts.

Liz

Dozey

Dozey Report 30 Jun 2010 11:15

I assume that everyone is happy now about e-mail alerts.

As I said to Liz on other thread - that sort of stuff goes over my head. I did wonder why so many of the helpers object to the PMs that go through GR. I'm pleased to get the more personal type of contact with the world. However, I have learned why the members who so tirelessly help others would find it a problem. 50 of them while trying to do research must be a real bind.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 30 Jun 2010 14:14

Hi Jeaniealogist,

I just posted this reply to PigletsPal on the thread that I started about this topic.

Apologies for re-posting the same reply here, but I thought it might help explain and also help anyone else in similar circumstances :-)

Thanks for the reply - I am getting a better picture :-)

I think why I am finding these tools useful is the context - which for me is urgency plus sometimes limited time to access the internet to check for updates (plus feeble memory!).

In case this might apply to anyone else, the benefits that I have found with Update Scanner are that when I go to the Update Scanner version of "My Bookmarks" it highlights in yellow:

- any change in the number of posts to a thread
- any change to the date and time of the last post to a thread

Where there is a change to date and time but not to the number of posts I think that it must be picking up the date and time of the last edit of any of the existing posts in the thread.

Pity the view doesn't also show the ID of the last poster too as I sometimes check back to find it was me who made the last post :-)

I am anticipating that I might need to do some update-checks by iPhone when I am away from home. Apart from saving time, the benefit of knowing which if any threads I really need to check will save me some dosh :-)

So, I think it is probably more to do with circumstances, rather than personal preference, that has made this issue important for me, at least at this time.

However, thinking about it, I can't imagine going back to doing everything by memory and visual checking of the info on the "My Bookmarks" summary page, as this way is so much easier - I'll put that down to my age :-)

Thanks again for replying Jeaniealogist (such clever names people have here - do you change the real name you have registered with to do that?),

Best wishes,
Liz

Dozey

Dozey Report 30 Jun 2010 14:38

Hi Liz

I've found the easiest way to register a Community Name is to click on "Community" then go to "Boards Summary". Scroll down through "Message Boards" and "Surname Boards".

At the foot there is a section called "Community Settings". You can enter name of your choice there but sometimes you will find that name is already being used and you will need to vary it somewhat. You can add country you are in - like SylviaInCanada or town as one member has, i.e. InNewYork.

I got mine by starting a thread asking for suggestions. Liked this one the best. Seemed so appropriate.

Regards
Jeanie

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 30 Jun 2010 16:28

Cheers Jeanieologist :-)

Found it!

Will leave changing anything until all my current enquiries are done and dusted to avoid confusion :-)

Best wishes,
Liz

Mike *

Mike * Report 30 Jun 2010 20:08

Jeanie you've got me thinking of a Cummunity name now.
Suggestions on a postcard .....
... now that's asking for trouble !