Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Vindictive Post reporting YOU RISK BEING BANNED

Page 0 + 1 of 16

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gee

Gee Report 3 Jun 2011 08:11

Hi GR

There appears to be someone or some people on here that go around reporting threads that are not offensive in any way.

I hope you monitor who is reporting what and how many times they report none abusive threads and deal with them appropriately

My thread about not posting twice about the same person has been reported and removed for review.....it is a helpful thread for new people and the people that post on that thread are the prolific helpers on the boards

It is quite hurtful that someone can have your thread removed when all you are trying to do is help people....not much of a reward for all the hours we put in that help make this site a success

Can I suggest to the people that report threads for no good reason, you PM the poster and explain why you are offended.

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 3 Jun 2011 10:03

Being a regular poster on the, "PLEASE DONT POST ABOUT THE SAME PERSON TWICE" thread myself I am certainly unaware of anything contained within its opening post that should cause offence to anyone. Hopefully those at GR whose responsibility it is to review abuse reports will draw the same conclusion.

I can only think that the individual who reported the post may have been someone who possibly felt aggrieved at having been told by other GR members that a post of their own was a duplication of another post that they had made. Such "Duplicated Post" comments are often seen on threads. In some cases the comment is made in a gracious way with an explanation of why such a practice should be avoided but in others it is delivered as just the two words above. It is easy to imagine that someone who had received such a comment on their thread might react badly and spotting the "PLEASE DONT POST ABOUT THE SAME PERSON TWICE" post which is almost constantly on the first page of the Find Ancestors board, decided to do what they did.

There is no doubt that some posts which appear on GR message boards do require a review because of their content which might in some way be considered offensive or contains information that disregards someone else's privacy but in the case of Ginny's original post I would certainly contest that it did either.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 3 Jun 2011 10:30

I agree there was nothing that warranted a review of the opening post in Ginny's thread "PLEASE DON'T POST ABOUT THE SAME PERSON TWICE" or any of it's content either. I am a regular reader and occasional poster on the thread.

Gee

Gee Report 3 Jun 2011 15:42

Whey Hey......thank you GR for reinstating my post

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 3 Jun 2011 18:47

There are various organized campaigns to report various ... types of posts, and one or two were well underway yesterday.

I'm confident now, from the staff's response, that the problem is recognized and will be dealt with appropriately, and just want to say I appreciate the response to the problems that occurred yesterday, including the reporting of Ginny's post.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Jun 2011 20:06

Thank you for re-instating Ginny's post.

Many people have said that they have found it useful and informative

and Janey is correct .... there does seem to be some concerted campaigns to report posts.

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Jun 2011 23:42

Ginny's thread "PLEASE DON'T POST ABOUT THE SAME PERSON TWICE" has been sent for review once again

Beyond a joke, GR

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 4 Jun 2011 23:51

Maybe Ginny should edit the OP to add: if you report this post, I will hunt you down and ...

No, No! I mean: if you report this post, it will be reinstated, and you are now on notice that such reports will themselves be reported as abusive, which they are and are known to be.

I cannot imagine that whoever has reported it this time was not aware that it was reported before, and that the current report is not part of a (badly) organized collective effort.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 4 Jun 2011 23:58

Maybe GR should Sticky it to the top of the board for a week to show that they don't have a problem with.

It can't be allowed to continue

jax

jax Report 5 Jun 2011 00:35

Maybe GR should tell Ginny who this person is if they are not going to own up to it

Name them and shame them I say :-D

jax

Joy

Joy Report 5 Jun 2011 00:47

Just wondering if there is a glitch in the site - another such requested review:
General Chat : Answer a question with a question??

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Jun 2011 00:49

nah Joy

it's someone having "fun"

Gee

Gee Report 5 Jun 2011 01:37

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/ancestors/xx/thread/1228199?page=0

Hoisted by your own pertard...thats what I hope

Gai

Gai Report 5 Jun 2011 01:56

I hope GR can trace whoever is doing this reporting and banned them from the site.

Gee

Gee Report 5 Jun 2011 02:07

I'm sure GR can trace the reporter...I'm very sure!

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 5 Jun 2011 02:17

Yes, GR knows perfectly well who reports posts, and is able to see patterns.

I don't feel that I should repeat what has been said to me by staff, but I am satisfied that malicious reporting is being dealt with.

Obviously it could be difficult to spot a pattern if numerous individuals are involved, but it might not be impossible (e.g. a raft of my posts were reported within a short time the other night, so even if all reports were by different people, the pattern was obvious).

GR wouldn't be able to disclose the name(s) of the people involved, but I think the situation is safe in their hands for now.

The more the post is reported, the more obvious the ill-will becomes.

Gee

Gee Report 5 Jun 2011 09:16

If you keep reporting posts that are not breaking the rules then you risk being banned from this site

So, hiding behind your RR is not going to protect you

Joy

Joy Report 5 Jun 2011 10:55

Surely there has to be a glitch of some kind - yet another:
General Chat : News Flash!!

Gai

Gai Report 5 Jun 2011 12:21

PP, are you aware that GR changed the system awhile ago that when you click on someone's board name that is the name that now appears.

Joy

Joy Report 5 Jun 2011 13:27

General Chat : News Flash!! has been removed so there just has to be a glitch. No one in his / her right mind would have removed it.