Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

White/campbell

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 5 Mar 2024 19:42

Hello I'm trying to find out anything about my mother's side of the family. My mother's mum was called matilda campbell, her birth certificate says she was born 1913 to james and Annie campbell 9 howe street belfast. She married in 1942 to John mcintosh and lived in 17 malcolmson street along with I'm sure her brother John campbell. On matildas marriage certificate it states a thomas campbell as her father and the addresse of malcolmson street. The name thomas campbell is on the house fron 1918-1960s I think then it is taken over by John mcintosh. My mother was an only child and I can't seem to locate a birth record for her. Her name (maiden) would be Patricia mcintosh. I cannot find a mother's name living in malcolmson street with John and matilda and I'm confused about the name thomas campbell and not John. I'm wondering could matilda possibly be young Annie's daughter in some way?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Mar 2024 19:47

Your post is a bit confusing - sorry, no offence meant.

What exactly are you asking for, please?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Mar 2024 19:55

Where have you looked for info?

You say at the start that Matilda's parents were James and ANNIE Campbell...then at the end you ask if she could be 'young Annie's' daughter. Who was 'young Annie'?

Her birth cert should give MMN - what was it?

Where does the name WHITE fit in?

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 5 Mar 2024 19:56

Sorry its my first time doing this ?? from a previous post on here I have established that matilda campbell (my grandmother) was born in 9 howe street to James and Annie campbell, although on some records matilda dosnt seem to appear at all. James and Annie also had a daughter named Annie who would have been a young teenager 15/16 when matilda was born. I'm wanting to find out why matilda was living in malcolmson street which would be the falls road with her older "brother" John and naming a Thomas campbell as her father on her marriage certificate. I'm maybe way off but I was wondering if maybe the young Annie is matildas mother and there has been some secrecy around it as she was a teenager. Matilda seems to be a mystery to all I speak to.

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 5 Mar 2024 20:00

Sorry the previous thread on here is tilted Mary Lynn née white where the campbell family are discussed

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 5 Mar 2024 20:06

White is Annie's maiden name before she married James campbell

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Mar 2024 20:10

I'll try to help........as long as you give the link to your previous thread

I don't want to be looking for info which has already been posted...............

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 5 Mar 2024 20:11

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1370379

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 5 Mar 2024 20:13

Thank you so much. Page 5 is when annie and James children are mentioned. Someone else also quired matilda in the thread questioning her birth date etc.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Mar 2024 20:30

The other thread was posted by a member named Deborah - not by you, as I mistakenly thought

This is an extract..............

Ireland Census 1911 Transcription
Residents of a house 5 in Howe Street (Shankill, Antrim)
James Campbell Campbell Head of Family Married 46 1865 Brtaltown, Co Armagh
Annie Young Campbell Wife Married 39 1872 Co Antrim
Mabel White Campbell Daughter Single 16 1895 Belfast
Annie Campbell Daughter Single 13 1898 Belfast
John Campbell Son Single 10 1901 Belfast
Sarah Josephine Campbell Daughter Single 8 1903 Belfast
William Campbell Son Single 6 1905 Belfast
David Eric Campbell Son Single 3 1908 Belfast
Bute Jas Kathleen Campbell Daughter Single 0 1911 Belfast
-------------------------------

And with her father in 1901:

Residents of a house 52 in Emerson Street (Shankhill, Antrim)

James Campbell Head of Family Married 35 1866 Armagh
Annie Campbell Wife Married 28 1873 Armagh
James Campbell Son Single 7 1894 Belfast
John Campbell Son Single 3 1898 Belfast
Isabella Campbell Daughter Single 10 1891 Belfast
Maggie Campbell Daughter Single 8 1893 Belfast
Annie Campbell Daughter Single 5 1896 Belfast
Mable Campbell Daughter Single 6mnths Belfast
James White Father in Law Widowed 48 1853 Antrim

(the children born before 1895 were James Campbell's children from a previous marriage)

Please now say exactly what you are asking for in this thread. Bear in mind that there is only limited online access to Irish records

You say you have Matilda's birth cert.....................................

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Mar 2024 11:35

Name MATILDA CAMPBELL
Date of Birth 04 September 1913
Group Registration ID 538310
SR District/Reg Area Belfast
Sex Female
Mother's Birth Surname WHITE

9 Howe Street, father registered birth on 10th November.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Mar 2024 12:24

You refer to confusions over the name Thomas, not John.

BUT........the birth cert shows father to be JAMES, which could possibly be interpreted as Thomas if badly-written

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 6 Mar 2024 12:42

I'm pretty sure it was thomas as I remember my mother joking that her grandad was thomas and she married a thomas (my father)the only thing I can find on matilda campbell is her marriage certificate.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Mar 2024 12:53

What was the date of the marriage?

Who witnessed it?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 Mar 2024 13:46

"I cannot find a mother's name living in Malcolmson street with John and Matilda "

Where would you expect to find that?
The street directory only names heads of households, so you can't tell who else was living at any address..

John McIntosh, iron moulder, was at 17 Malcolmson Street in 1960.
Thomas Campbell, labourer, is there in 1955 and earlier (from some time between 1915 and 1918).

There are no street directory records for the years between 1955 and 1960

What record do you have to show that Matilda lived with her brother John?

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 6 Mar 2024 14:12

Yes thats the problem there is record of a thomas but no mother. What I have is a bit of information from someone from.john mcintosh side. She confirmed that John moved to malcolmson street after the marriage. Also my mother grew up in malcolmson street and lived there right up untill she was married in the 1970s. I know John lived there also as there is a newspaper article referring to him John campbell 17 malcolmson street 1938 when he was 38, he was shot and had to have his leg amputated. My mother talked about her uncle and his disability. I will attach what I have so far.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Mar 2024 14:41

Name JOHN CAMPBELL
Date of Birth 31 August 1900
Group Registration ID 19786
Sex Male
Registered by mother, Annie Young Campbell, 105, Emerson Street,
Father James George Campbell, (Occ: Butcher..........same as Matilda's father)

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 6 Mar 2024 14:48

Yes the same mother and father, and their ages match, that is why I assumed they are from this family with annie and James as their parents. It the matilda naming Thomas campbell a Labourer of malcolmson street as her father that's confusing me. John is also named as married roman Catholic man in the article. I just dont know if they are the same family like I said matilda campbell born 1913 only returned results as James as her father which is why I assumed could she be the daughter of one of the teenage siblings and Annie and James named themselves as her parent. It's so frustrating. They seem to have appeared then disappeared

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Mar 2024 14:55

Name RUTH KATHLEEN CAMPBELL
Date of Birth 23 August 1910
Group Registration ID 606173
Sex Female
9, Howe Street

Name DAVID ERIC CAMPBELL
Date of Birth 01 December 1907
Group Registration ID 654087
Sex Male

Name SARAH JOSEPHINE CAMPBELL
Date of Birth 21 January 1903
Group Registration ID 4468937
Sex see register entry

Name WILLIAM CAMPBELL
Date of Birth 04 November 1904
Group Registration ID 4735704
Sex see register entry
61, Tennent Street

Name ANNIE CAMPBELL
Date of Birth 12 January 1898
Group Registration ID 11407445
Sex Female
Mother's Birth Surname White

In ALL cases, parental info matches that for Matilda's birth registration

The discrepancy in the father's name on the marriage cert (I assume you have the actual document?) could be down to a slip of the tongue, or terrible writing by the person recording the info

You haven't said who witnessed her marriage....................

Jink20

Jink20 Report 6 Mar 2024 15:55

This may be of some use to you

"Only Northern Ireland historic registration records are available to search online. The records available are:

birth records over 100 years old
marriage records over 75 years old
death records (including World War II death records) over 50 years old

You cannot find civil partnership and more recent birth, death and marriage records online however, if you want to search or view these, you can book an appointment at GRONI's Public Search Room in Belfast or, if you know the details, you can apply online for certificates"

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/services/go-groni-online