Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for Margaret Barrett born Dunfermline 1949

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 2 Oct 2019 11:12

Hi

I had a thread back in 2012 looking for my friend's Dad, Micheal Barrett, whom she had never known. We have made contact with a relation of a cousin who has said he thinks that Cathy has a half sister from the marriage of Micheal Barrett and Florence Fordham Johnston .Cathy was born in Hull in 1951 but her parents never married and she had no contact or knowledge about her Dad's Family. On the birth certificate it has father Michael Barrett occupation Lorry driver and Mother Elizabeth Taylor Hunter Dewar formerly Hodgkinson know as Barrett. her Mum was divorced after she was born.

As the cousin is not in touch with that side of the family we do not know if Margaret married/lives in Dunfermline or even if she is still alive.

Any help would be gratefully received

Thank you

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 Oct 2019 11:28

I would suggest getting the birth cert for Margaret which can be found on https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ it will give you middle names probably and confirm the parents.

Bear in mind Margaret may not know of Cathy and this is an open board so perhaps you could edit out the circumstances ?

Christine

Christine Report 2 Oct 2019 11:40

Hi Rose

I have seen the birth certificate and her father is named. The information from another member on genes reunited appears to support the information we have. Cathy's father left his wife and Cathy's Mum left her husband and they moved to Hull.

I will amend the narrative as you suggest but not sure how to do that

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Oct 2019 11:47

Just open your OP and delete the text

It would have been better to add to your original thread. People will undoubtedly start looking again for info which has already been posted

Christine

Christine Report 2 Oct 2019 12:00

Hi Erika

i tried deleting part of the message using the edit button but it did not seem to have save only post. I was not sure if that would just create a new thread. i am sure there must be information somewhere on this site on how to do things. i have been a member since 2012 and been active off and on during that time but I am still confused as to how things should be done. i do not deliberately break the rules it is just the rules are not always clear or even there to be seen :) What is OP? So if i use the edit button how do I save the amended message - is it just post?

AG has often given me links when i ask questions but I have no idea where she finds the links. Everything is easy when you know how so that is why i am so grateful for any help I can get.

So thank you everyone

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 Oct 2019 12:00

Does the birth cert give middle names as that would help you in finding a marriage or death for her?

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 Oct 2019 12:02

original thread link just for ref

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1304106?jump=1304106

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 Oct 2019 12:06

Margaret's surname may well have changed if her mother remarried? Do you know whether she did?

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 Oct 2019 12:08

Re editing, you should see " Report Edit Delete " at top of each of your own posts just press edit, do so and then "submit"

OP is original poster or original post. :-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Oct 2019 12:14

Click on 'edit' Make the alterations. Click on 'submit'

Christine

Christine Report 2 Oct 2019 12:20

Hi

Sorry Rose I do not have the half sisters birth certificate only Cathy's. Most of the information is from Scotland's people site and from a member of genes reunited who has given access to her ancestry tree but all of the living are marked private. The owner of the tree explained the family were not all in touch with each other. She has on her tree Michael Barrett married to Florence Fordham Johnston and a daughter born 1949. My friends Mum, Elizabeth Taylor Hunter Dewar, was married to John Hodgkinson but he was not Cathy's Dad. Cathy was born in 1951 in Hull and her mum was divorced in 1953 for adultery with Michael Barrett. Her parents met whilst working at the Dunfermline Bus Depot. Micheal and Elizabeth moved to Hull before Cathy was born. On the ancestry tree it shows a sister of Micheal's having lived in Hull.

I can see a Margaret Barrett married John Geddes Davie on Scotlands People but would need to get certificate. There are a lot of Barretts in Dunfermline during this period so hard to tell whose is whose.

Still unsure how to edit. if I click on edit and change it then it gives me the option to submit but I was worried i would just create a new thread :-( will try link thank you

Christine

Christine Report 2 Oct 2019 12:20

Just seen posts very helpful - thank you

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 Oct 2019 12:21

I note the marriage to Michael was in two surnames Johnstone and Kerr ( on Scotlandspeople) She'd married previously to Mr Kerr.

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 Oct 2019 12:25

Florence's death was in 2007, again in all 3 names. The informant might be her daughter?

BARRETT
FLORENCE FORDHAM
BURNSIDE
432/ 700

Christine

Christine Report 2 Oct 2019 12:33

Did not know that - very interesting.
As you can imagine after 67 years to finally find something out about your dad and his family is amazing for Cathy ( Catherine Margaret Barrett). I would love it if Cathy could make contact with someone who might be able to tell her about her dad. From the ancestry tree it shows Michael born in Cologne Germany and his father, also Michael Barrett, as having been in the black watch.I know I should not take other trees as factual but there does seem to be a lot of evidence.

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 Oct 2019 12:55

Do you have a date of birth for Michael, or any info on what happened to him after Cathy was born?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 2 Oct 2019 13:17

The only Margaret Barrett born in Dunfermline in 1949 had middle initials B B.

If that's your Margaret, then she married John Geddes Davie in Dunfermline in 1972.

192.com shows a John Davie, with a Margaret Davie in Dunfermline on 2012-14 Electoral Roll
There was a Kevin Davie with them in 2002.

Kevin Davie was born in Dunfermline in 1979.

I'll PM you the records in case this is the right Margaret.
I don't have a sub to 192.com to see the full address.

A Kevin Davie married in Dunfermline in 2008 - but of course I don't know if he's your Margaret's son.
In 2003 he's at a Dunfermline address, and his future wife is also there in 2004.

He's then at (another ?)Dunfermline address 2004, and 2008-09.
His wife is at the same address - in 2004-6, 2008-19

Christine

Christine Report 2 Oct 2019 13:21

From the tree on ancestry i can see the following

Michael Barrett 1891 to 1942 married Barbara Sinclair Hunter.. He was in the Black Watch and had the following children:
Thomas 1920 to 1943 died Kieve Germany
Michael 1921 to 1977 - Cathy's dad born Cologne Germany, married Florence Fordham Johnston also Kerr, as per AG, died Coventry 1977
Barbara 1923 to 1995 born Alton Hampshire died in Hull
George 1925 to 1981 married Mary M Kelly
Nora Smith Barrett 1931 to 1995 born India married George Veitch
Patrick 1934 to 1985.

There are a lot of people with the surname Barrett in Dunfermline.

As stated we are hoping to find Cathy's sister. I think her sister is/was Margaret Barrett born Dunfermline 1949. but have no evidence that this is correct more a good guess.

Hope this helps and thank you so much

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 2 Oct 2019 13:30

I'm not clear from your posts whether or not you have Margaret's birth cert .

I've PM'd you Margaret BB Barrett's birth record (as well as the other records I mentioned in my previous post) - if you buy a copy of the birth cert it will tell you her parents' names.

Assuming that Margaret is yours, and assuming she continued to live in Scotland, then she's still alive, unless she died in the last couple of months.

Christine

Christine Report 2 Oct 2019 13:33

Wow AG that is great thank you.

I will follow this up