Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Newton/Mutter of Beer, Devon, DNA test

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Trevor

Trevor Report 27 Nov 2018 20:03

I am trying to establish my genetic connection to the Newton and Mutter families of Beer, Devon. My purported grand father was Clifford Abraham Newton. Orthodox genealogical research cannot confirm this connection because of illegitimatcy but eyewitness testimony does but I cannot go any further until a DNA swab test is undertaken by myself and any descendant of Abraham Newton and Emma Mutter of Beer, Devon. I would be SOOOOOO happy to find such a volunteer and certainly would cover the cost for the service. Any takers out there?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 27 Nov 2018 21:17

Several people have Emma (1863) on their trees on GR. Have you tried contacting any of them?

Only one person (Julie) has Abraham Newton (1885).

You don't give dates in your post, but I assume those are the right Emma and Abraham, as they were born in Beer, according to the trees.

I see Emma was your supposed great-grandmother - wife of Robert Cox Newton.

And Abraham's middle name was Mutter, and mms was Mutter.
Ah, but -
born 1885, died 1886 - so presumably that's not the Abraham you mean, as obviously he had no descendants..

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 27 Nov 2018 21:49

It's unlikely that any descendant of Emma will just happen to see your post.
You'll have to research and find them for yourself via BMDs and Electoral Rolls (unless any of them are the aforementioned tree owners).

How much have you researched the Newton family?
(So that we don't repeat info you already have.)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Nov 2018 22:29

There is another thread by Trevor about this man

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Nov 2018 10:50

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1368893

https://www.genesreunited.co.nz/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1369273

Trevor, you've already been advised on an earlier thread to contact owners of relevant trees on GR.
Did you do so?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 Nov 2018 11:38

I think the other GR members are legitimate descendants, who are apparently hostile

Trevor

Trevor Report 28 Nov 2018 14:13

Good morning ErikaH and ArgyllGran. I thank you both very much for your kind offer of help in my quest to determine my 'grand paternity'. If my thinking is correct then any descendant of Abraham Newton and Emma Mutter (parents of my purported grandfather Clifford Abraham Newton) will carry the all important verifying DNA. No scientist here but only 3 to 4 generations is certainly close enough to show genetic evidence that we share the same gene pool and since my other ancestry all comes from a considerably distant part or England the genetic connection should provide 99.9% evidence that the centuries old Newton/Mutter families of Beer, Devon are indeed my own albeit not by the most positive connection. I was advised to visit. Answering your question ArgyllGran I have sent at least 20 different inquiries to descendants and possible 'cousins' that have a connection to Clifford Abraham Newton. One direct descendant was very helpful until I sent photos of myself and my father to her and then communication and assistance stopped. Perhaps the physical appearance was somewhat corroborative and or the allegation of illegitimacy and infidelity was too scandalous. I can't know. I can understand the reluctance to go further. So I continue to search for a willing descendant to submit to a DNA swab test. I am now looking for a well respected website where I can submit my DNA to throw into a general collection with the hope that there may e a match even if very remote as long as the connection lies in that region of Devon. Thank you both once again. The search continues.