Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Possible relatives

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Robert

Robert Report 26 Jan 2017 19:04

I am trying to find a Jennifer A Whittaker (nee Adamson) who was born in 1950
and is possibly married to Andrew J Whittaker.
She also has a sibling Kay E Adamson who I am also trying to find

malyon

malyon Report 26 Jan 2017 19:24

both born in hammersmith kay in 1948

Jennifer married 1970 surrey

patchem

patchem Report 26 Jan 2017 19:28

If you look for Jennifer Adamson born 1950 in people's trees on here, you will find the tree belonging to Jennifer Whittaker.

Suggest you try to contact her.

Added:
In addition, another member (Robert) has both Jennifer and Kay (1948) in his tree, so you could also try and contact him.

patchem

patchem Report 26 Jan 2017 19:44

There is a marriage for Kay E Adamson in 1978 to Mr Waugh (Sunderland), and Kay E Adamson to Mr Arnaud in 1998 (Durham).

If you look on 192.com, there was a Kay E Adamson in the same household as Mr Arnaud in Helensburgh from 2004 to 2010.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 26 Jan 2017 22:48

Re the Arnaud marriage -

they divorced in Dumbarton in 2011.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 27 Jan 2017 21:32

PM from Robert:

"Thank you for your response.
I am new to this family searching.
A Mr Kay E Adamson married a Miss Waugh in 1978. I have no idea if this is the same Adamson, but how do you find the divorce records and the more recent electoral rolls? I can't find mention of either of them after 2010."

Robert, the Arnaud divorce record is on scotlandspeople.gov.uk, because the divorce took place in Scotland.
It's not a subscription site - you have to register, and then buy credits. If you want a copy of a recent certificate , it can be ordered on the website, or older records can be viewed for the cost of a few credits.
Basic searching, such as I did for the divorce, is free of charge.

English divorce records after 1915 are harder to come by:
http://tinyurl.com/hy4ezey
English divorces 1858-1915 are on ancestry.co.uk, which is a subscription site.

With the Adamson / Waugh marriage, it's hard to know whether that Kay is male or female, as the Waugh forename could also be either male or female. From the spelling I would assume male, but you never know!
If the Kay Adamson who married Waugh is the same one who later married Mr Arnaud, then she must be female.

Recent Electoral Roll entries are on 192.com, as Patchem mentioned above, for which you need to buy credits to see actual addresses. (Or Patchem might send you the details in a private message if you want it.) However, if a person has opted out of the public ER, their name won't show up there.
You could try writing to the Helensburgh address, in case one or other of them is still living there, or in case the new owner or tenant knows where they have gone.
(I think it's a Garelochhead address - near Helensburgh - as per whitepages.co.uk.)

Neither of them appears to be in the BT phonebook, for the Helensburgh area, but perhaps they don't have a landline.

There is no record of Kay E Adamson or Arnaud having either remarried or died in Scotland, (unless not using the middle initial) nor her ex-husband Mr Arnaud.
Nor in England/Wales, unless very recently, in which case it won't be online yet.

It's possible that one or both of them may have emigrated, but there will be no record available to us online for such a recent event.

Please don't reply directly to me, but add your reply, if any, in the white box at the bottom of this page, below where it says "Add your reply", and click submit. That way all the helpers can see, and you may have more chance of someone spotting something useful.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 27 Jan 2017 21:58

It looks as if the Waugh who married Kay E Adamson in 1978 later remarried in Durham in 1992 - and married a definite female, so he must be male, and therefore that Kay Adamson is female!

I take it that "your" Kay is male, from your message?

Robert

Robert Report 27 Jan 2017 23:17

According to the birth records available here, Kay E Adamson born in 1948 is listed as male. I feel sure this is the right person because of the mother's maiden name and the area in which he was born. For the same reasoning, a sister Jennifer A Adamson was born in 1950.
The marriage records available here show a Kay E Adamson (male) married Miss Vivian Waugh in 1978. They also show Vivian Waugh married Miss Egleton in 1992 and a Kay E Adamson (male) married Allan Arnaud (male) in 1998 and were living in Helensburg. I have been informed that Adamson and Arnaud divorced in 2011.
I did write to the address in Helensburgh but it has been returned to me unopened saying the addressee no longer lives there.
A Jennifer A Adamson married Andrew J Whittaker in 1970 but I cannot find them.

patchem

patchem Report 27 Jan 2017 23:50

Robert,

How can a Kay E Adamson (male) marry Allan Arnaud (male) in 1998?

Where is she listed as male?

Surely Kay is female?

Get the birth certificate if you are unsure.

patchem

patchem Report 28 Jan 2017 00:02

Have you looked for children of Jennifer and Andrew, and then looked for them on 192.com?

You have not said how you are related to the family.

Do you know when/if the parents (of Kay and Jennifer) died, and looked for any wills for them?

patchem

patchem Report 28 Jan 2017 00:06

If this is their Mother's death:

Margaret Kay M Adamson
BIRTH: 4 Sep 1911
DEATH: Jun 1991 - Surrey Northern, Surrey, England

then there is probate in 1991.

Investigate that and death certificate for more information.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Jan 2017 09:19

Robert -
have you tried to contact Jennifer Whittaker on this site, as suggested earlier by Patchem (26th Jan @ 19:28) ?

Go to "Search" at the top right of this page, then "Search all member trees".
Search for Jennifer Adamson, YOB 1950.
One of the results is for a Jennifer Adamson born in London.
Click on "Find out more", and send a message to Jennifer Whittaker.

Robert

Robert Report 28 Jan 2017 11:50

I have sent a message to the Jennifer Adamson that 'patchem' suggested.
The actual sex of Kay E Adamson is unknown to me, but the one born in 1948 to George and Margaret Kay McPherson Adamson (nee Archibald) is shown in the records on this site to be male. The Kay E Adamson who married in 1978 to Vivian G Waugh is listed as male and Vivian as female. The Kay E Adamson who married Allan G Arnaud in 1998 are both listed as males. I also found a Vivian G Waugh who married in 1992 to a Miss Egleton, both listed as females. Whether they are the same people or not, I have no idea.
I think I am related to them as my original birth certificate shows the same mother.
I was born in 1938.
How do you find the probate records?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Jan 2017 12:12

Adamson, Margaret Kay Mcpherson, of 6 Oatlands Drive, Weybridge Surrey, died 4 June 1991. Probate Newcastle-upon-Tyne 24 July . . . . . .
9152001601A

http://tinyurl.com/hljot27
probatesearch.service.gov.uk
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Support/Help

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Jan 2017 12:36

If you were to look at an actual image on the GRO index, there is no indication of the gender.
The transcriptions which assign one are making assumptions.

Just think of the first name of Paris. In 'Romeo and Juliet', Paris is male.
Paris Hilton, the American heiress, is definately female.

As for your 'Kay'

Origin of the name Kay: As a female name, Kay originated as a pet form of any of the various names beginning with the letter K. It is now commonly bestowed as an independent given name. As a male name, its root is found in the Latin gai (rejoiced).

www.babynamewizard.com/baby-name/girl/kay

Robert

Robert Report 28 Jan 2017 16:09

At the beginning of this week I used the electoral roll on this site to try and find Jennifer (d.o.b. 1950) and Andrew Whittaker. None that I saw listed both people.
I made a list of Jennifer addresses and a list of Andrew's and found the same address for each of them in Eastcote Rd., Liverpool.
Looking today, I cannot find that address nor several of the others.
Any idea why?

Robert

Robert Report 30 Jan 2017 19:41

The Eastcote Rd address was wrong, when searching I did not put her d.o.b. in. The people there are only in their 30's.
The Jennifer Adamson/Whittaker that 'patchem' suggested has not replied to my question.
The only information I am sure of is that Kay E Adamson, born 1948 and Jennifer A Adamson, born 1950 are the children of George and Margaret K Mcpherson Adamson (nee Archibald). Margaret died in 1991 and George in 1998.
Jennifer A Adamson married Andrew J Whittaker in 1970.
I am sure we share the same mother.
I have no idea if the marriages of Kay are applicable to the Kay I am looking for.
.I cannot find a joint address for the Whittakers on the electoral roll.
I cannot find if there were any children born to them in the first 6 years of their marriage (that is if the marriage continued) because no Whittakers born in that period have a mothers maiden name of Adamson listed on the records available here, half of them seem to list the maiden name as Whittaker, so I assume they are not too accurate.
I have not paid to look at the probate/will of Margaret as I don't know how that could lead me to knowing where they are now.
I feel lost and don't know what to do next.

patchem

patchem Report 31 Jan 2017 06:52

There is also probate- grant and will- for George Alfred Adamson in 1998, if this is the correct George?

The will may name children in married names and possible grandchildren etc etc for confirmation and further information.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 31 Jan 2017 11:39

If you really want to pursue all leads to try to find these people, I'm afraid you are going to have to spend some money, Robert, on probates/ wills / BMDs, although it's a gamble.

Ancestry shows two Whittaker/Adamson births, one in Nuneaton in 1970, (who may also have married in Nuneaton in 1990) and one in Chiltern & Beaconsfield reg district, Bucks, in 1975.

The only way to know if either of them is a child of Jennifer would be to buy the certificates. I haven't found anything helpful about them on 192.com.

And the only way to know if the Kay Adamson marriages are relevant to your search is, as already suggested, to buy the marriage certs - another gamble.
The mention of Kay as male on the GR transcriptions is only that, a transcription, and probably a mistranscription. As has been said, the original index doesn't state male or female. Allan Arnaud can't possibly be female.

It depends how desperate you are to find these people.

But if they have opted out of the public ER, or have gone to live abroad, I fear we'll never find them from what's available to us online.

Don't give up hope yet re the message you sent to Jennifer Whittaker / Adamson. Sometimes it takes people ages to reply, for all sorts of reasons.
Admittedly, sometimes they just don't reply at all.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 31 Jan 2017 16:57

Have you discounted Campbell Adamson 1959 Wirral as a possible relative?

- and the Jennifer Adamson/ Merry marriage in Cheshire? (Possibly now living Devon)