Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

MILES FAMILY

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RitaG

RitaG Report 13 Jul 2015 15:42

Does anyone have ALBERT and FLORENCE MILES on their tree? They adopted PATRICIA BERNADETTE MILES in April 1940 and lived in Winton, district of Eccles in Manchester at the time.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 13 Jul 2015 15:54

Look in search trees for their names (Florence in her maiden name, of course)

What is your connection?

Do you have Patricia's permission to post her details on this insecure site?

RitaG

RitaG Report 13 Jul 2015 15:57

I can't, that is the only information I have. I never met my mother's adopted family! :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Jul 2015 16:13

If your mother has her adoption file, does it give her adoptive parents address?

Although there were no electoral rolls taken during the war years, they may have been living there in 1939 when there was one, or even in 1945 when ER resumed.

If you can track them down, the entry may give additional fornames, or they may even have been living with relatives.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 13 Jul 2015 17:56

Rita are you familiar with freebmd?

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

unfortunately there is no Albert Miles marriage to a Florence in Lancashire and it would be impossible to guess which couple of the many with those names who married 1920-1940, say, it would have been ...

RitaG

RitaG Report 14 Jul 2015 12:35

I have an adoption certificate for my mother and it does show the address on it but no adoption file.

Maybe they got married Worcestershire area, they had links there. They were definitely living in Eccles area when they adopted my mother.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Jul 2015 14:35

Have you looked for their deaths

Where did they all live after the adoption

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 14 Jul 2015 16:01

As Shirley says, Rita, do you know where your mother grew up?

that information would give an idea of where to look for their deaths, for instance

you have no idea whether she had any brothers or sisters, born to the couple or adopted?

any idea when her adoptive parents died?

do you want to give the address on the adoption certificate, which could help find them on electoral rolls as mentioned?

for example there are telephone listings for A Miles in the ECCles exchange 1951-1959 (8 Shaftesbury av Brtn)

there is this death in Barton which covers Eccles

Albert W Miles (born) abt 1913 Dec 1965 Barton

but there are too many Albert Miles deaths to guess of course

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 Jul 2015 07:16

When did her parents die ? Their death certs will give age and possibly and date of birth depending on when they died

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 15 Jul 2015 09:20

More information here:

http://www.francisfrith.com/us/eccles/patricia-bernadette-miles_memory-298341

What was your mother's birth surname in case there's a small chance Florence was related?

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 15 Jul 2015 09:28

Is it Campbell or Cambell?

If they lived in Winton, it's Cambell Road.

If they lived in Swinton it's Campbell Road.

Swinton and Winton are both near Eccles.

Rose

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 15 Jul 2015 09:57

Cambell Road in Winton is about 1 mile from Shaftesbury Avenue ...

hopefully Rita will answer some questions

as it seems Patricia spent many years outside the country, Rita may not know when Patricia's adoptive parents died

RitaG

RitaG Report 15 Jul 2015 18:22

Thank you for your comments. I will give you all the information I have.

I never knew my Mother's adoptive parents. She was never in contact with them as far back as I remember. She mentioned that I met them once when I was a baby.

She once commented that they had other children but I can't confirm this.

She related a story that her mother came over from Ireland to give birth to twins. My mother was left in England with family and the twin 'Annie' was taken to Ireland with the father as the mother died of childbirth. She said she went to Ireland (Londonderry) for a little while and attended school there and had a brother called Paddy/Patrick. I can't confirm this story.

She lived in Tenbury Wells for a while and worked in a paint factory. She joined the army, met my father in Singapore where they married. I wonder if Albert and Florence lived in the Tenbury Wells too.

That is all I can think of at the moment. Still looking for our (her children's) birth records on here but not sure what I am doing!!

:-)

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 15 Jul 2015 19:06

You won't find overseas births on here.

Do you know when or where she was born? Was she Patricia Bernadette at birth or given this name later?

Rose

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 15 Jul 2015 20:01

Rita, can you tell us your mum's birthdate?
(not against the rules as she is deceasead)
and where and when she died?

we've figured out her married name assuming it stayed the same, you don't have to put it here

is it a tree of yours where she is shown as born in Ancoats under her adoptive name? if so was that a guess?

odds are that she was born somewhere in Lancashire if her mother travelled from Ireland. If we know the date, and if there really was a twin, we might be able to work it out, or at least narrow it down

RitaG

RitaG Report 15 Jul 2015 20:49

13 May 1937

She died in France and she told me she was born in ancoats

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 15 Jul 2015 21:14

ah, died in France, your family has hardly left a trace in England in recent generations!

still the question of whether you know whether (at least whether she thought) her birth name was Patricia Bernadette

and whether you know anything about where she grew up as that would tell us where to look for records of Albert and Florence

how adoptions worked at the time ... would her parents have been Roman Catholic? I wonder whether she would have been placed with an RC couple ...

RitaG

RitaG Report 29 Sep 2015 17:53

Hi there,

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply but I have been ivestigating!

According to my Mother's Army Records, her next of kin was stated as:

Florence May Miles, living in Ludlow Shropshire including the address. I did a search and found a death in 1968.

As my mother was adopted by Albert and Florence in April 1940 at nearly 3 years old I am assuming her name was already Patricia but may be wrong. It looks like Florence was 51 when she adopted my mother.

Is any of that any help?

RitaG

RitaG Report 29 Sep 2015 17:54

Yes, they were Roman Catholics at that time.

RitaG

RitaG Report 29 Sep 2015 17:55

It also says Campbell Road on Adotion cert so is Swinton..