Hobbies and Crafts

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What hobbies

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

littlelegs

littlelegs Report 27 Feb 2017 21:34

Do you do

I've tried
Cross stitch
Glass engraving
Knitting
Crochet

I now need a new hobby

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Mar 2017 09:33

Mine are card making and scrapbooking - both papercraft Annx makes lovely jewellery, Jane's husband paints neautiful pictures.

littlelegs

littlelegs Report 1 Mar 2017 15:39

Hi Ann
Well I've done jewellery not my kind of thing

Painting no good at it

Thank you for posting

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 1 Mar 2017 18:33

I am about the least "crafty" person you could possibly want to meet. I used to knit and when my children were young and we didn't have much money I taught myself to sew so that I could make my daughter's clothes. OH had to cut them out for me as I am incapable of cutting a straight line.

I tried cross stitch and did a couple of half decent pieces, then I started another one and got bored. It's still unfinished over 20 years later. I don't think my talents lie in handicrafts!

You sound as though you are good with your hands. Ann mentioned card making. Have you tried that? People love getting hand made cards. Or what about patchwork or quilting?

Enjoy whatever you decide to do.

littlelegs

littlelegs Report 2 Mar 2017 14:04

Hi Vera

I do like making things but you can only make so many if you are keeping them
The cross stitch pictures I've done are upon the wall

Tried card making not into that
I am going to do knitting again I think :-D

Island

Island Report 3 Mar 2017 13:22

Hi littlelegs, I've taken up weaving again and really enjoying it.

littlelegs

littlelegs Report 3 Mar 2017 20:23

Hi island
I've not tried weaving is it easy

Island

Island Report 4 Mar 2017 11:21

Hi LL, weaving can be as simple or as complicated as you wish and projects as small - e.g. key ring fob - or as large as you want.
Looms can range from homemade, e.g. small cardboard box to purchased, mostly wooden, ones. There are narrow bead looms, lap looms for short pieces, looms with rollers for continuous lengths and circular looms.
Materials can be whatever takes your fancy. Yarn would be the easiest to start with, using various thicknesses creates an interest. Once you've got the hang of it use anything that can be cut/torn into strips - I've used scrunched up lengths of wrapping paper.
You are limited only by your imagination. Have a look on line at pinterest, FB etc.

littlelegs

littlelegs Report 5 Mar 2017 12:21

Thank you island
Will take a look <3

littlelegs

littlelegs Report 8 Mar 2017 22:22

Knitting again making Bertie Bassett
Enjoying it at the moment

Treehunter

Treehunter Report 21 Apr 2017 10:11

I do cross stitching when my hands let me. I run cross stitching group in my library every Wednesday afternoon.

But my main hobby is Family history. :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Apr 2017 20:23

Hi Hazel, you did very well setting up your cross stitch group, it has been going a while now hasn't it?
Littlelegs did you finish Bertie Bassett?

Treehunter

Treehunter Report 13 May 2017 10:46

Hi

Yes group is doing very well. Had a show at the library last week of some of the work me and my ladies have done. Going to do another one from the 1st to the 22nd Dec. Of our christmas work.

Had some very good feed back on our work.. Had another 6 new people join this week.

I am up looking after my gand daughter this weekend. But havent been able to do any stitching as my hands have been very bad.

Speak again when i can.

Take care all.

Hazelx

Annx

Annx Report 17 May 2017 17:52

Thank you AnninG.

Yes....... I do

Jewellery making......mostly beadwork.
Photography
Painting
Fused Glass

The fused glass is the most recent and I really enjoy it.

In the past I have done knitting (get too hot to wear woollies now!) and macrame.

What I want to try next is needle felting after seeing some lovely pictures done with it.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 May 2017 21:04

Ann I have a horrible feeling I was going to put something of yours on the craft blog. I don't think I did and now can't find it. If you want to re-send it I will do it. :-)

TheBlackKnight

TheBlackKnight Report 12 Jun 2017 09:39

I do Photography. I knew nothing about it as I started out, but now I have entered competitions & won some, & some of my photos have been published in newspapers & magazines . If I can do it anybody can. :-D

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 22 Oct 2017 22:39

If you've done a lot of knitting you must have a lot of different coloured wools over. Why not try pom pom making. I have made fairies and little dolls with pegs and pom poms, hedgehogs and a fairy garland for a friend a big. I have all the sizes of the plastic makers and its so easy.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Nov 2017 14:49

Mel takes me back to when I used to make ducks out of pom poms to hang on prams. (a long time ago.)

Annx did you try the felting?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Dec 2017 12:42

I have just put some photos of lovely paintings done by Annx onto the craft blog. If anyone wants the address to see them please PM me.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 11 Feb 2018 12:40

I have seen Annx painting and they are really really good. She's such a clever girl.