General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Pretty little tale from history

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Oct 2021 20:23

Here is a little thing I picked up that I wasn't looking for.

The Battle of Stamford Bridge in 1066 was really fought over a bridge which was being held steadfastly by a huge Norse warrior who would not yield to anything that was thrown at him, arrows, battle-axes or anything else.

Those wily Saxons had not walked all up there to be held back by one dirty great Norseman so the crafty little sods got themselves a boat and floated up underneath him where they had a good poke up at him with sharp things underneath where his chain mail covered.

That soon shifted him.

They do say that all is fair in love and war but I can't imagine he was much use for either after that.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 18 Oct 2021 20:26

They don't like up 'em Mr Mainwaring :-D :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Oct 2021 20:33

:-D :-D :-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 19 Oct 2021 00:02

And they said that they wouldn't touch him with a ten foot barge pole :-0

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Oct 2021 05:15

:-D :-D :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 19 Oct 2021 08:26

I never knew that Sharron and I visited Stamford several times after friends moved there - once, even staying overnight with them.

It’s a pretty little place (not far from Pocklington) with the ubiquitous duck pond and pub next to it which, of course, we visited on more than one occasion.

I have to qualify that somewhat - I hope it is still pretty but I have not been back for forty years as our friends moved on after a few years while we were living overseas.

You are never too old to learn, are you? :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Oct 2021 08:52

I love the fact that they resorted to 'schoolboy' tactics :-D
I wonder if they were sniggering while they did it. :-D :-D :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Oct 2021 10:23

And here we are still 'sniggering' at it :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Oct 2021 12:48

Ah, Pocklington, that is interesting. We are hoping to visit there at some point because the village adopted HMS Volage, the destroyer Fred was on.

I am hoping I might eventually pass his medals and his blue nose over to them as there is no family to give them to.

While we ar there I can go and have a bit of a snigger as well!

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 19 Oct 2021 15:31

Having lived for about twenty years on the far side of the bridge from York I don't think many improvements have been made over the centuries. The brigde is very narrow and access is controlled by traffic lights so very long queues form. Over the last few years some improvements have been made to the flood defences so the middle of the village does not "go under" so often. If you vist Pocklington have a look at Burnby Hall Gardens. The countryside of East Yorkshire is very pleasant, less dramatic than the Dales and Moors and also much less crowded.

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Oct 2021 17:41

Do you still have boats and sharp things?

Is Pocklington in the Vale of York? I have been there and it is very much like the land around Winchester.Bit like home really!

If nothing else, there will be a Bettys within striking distance and that is worth travelling for!

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 19 Oct 2021 19:16

It's in the East Riding, Sharron, and there's a well-known private school there.

There is a Bettys in Harrogate and in York both of which I've been in to a few times. (Not saying that there's not a Bettys anywhere else - just that I don't know!)

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 19 Oct 2021 21:03

RHS garden Harlow Carr near Harrogate has a Betty’s tea room.

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Oct 2021 23:23

Sorry,I could have taken the trouble to look on a road map couldn't I?

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 20 Oct 2021 16:57

Not everyone bothers, Sharron. Personally, I like looking at maps and it could be catching because when my granddaughter (now a grown woman) stayed with us for a night or two I used to drive her home with her sitting in the child seat in the back of my car. Believe it or not, I had to get out the AA roadmap book, open it at the right page and point to where we were so she could follow the route home on the map.

She got to know all the landmarks on the approximate 45-minute journey and it kept her quiet all the way!

It must have been something about lines that she liked as she also loved checked dresses when she was a small girl !

Weird sometimes, innit? :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 Oct 2021 17:55

Have you see the Gough Map? That is worth a look, it's a real connoisseurs map.

You do need to get your eye in because it is pre- Mercator and centred around Jerusalem.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 20 Oct 2021 22:00

No, I haven’t, Sharron, but I see it’s in the Bodleian - unless it’s out on loan somewhere.

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 Oct 2021 22:25

It is free to consult on-line.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Oct 2021 22:50

Here's a link to one version:

http://www.goughmap.org/map/

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 Oct 2021 22:55

Thanks Maggie. You know I don't know how to post that bit.