General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The world's "example of democracy" ...

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Jan 2021 23:06

...... is no longer any better than any other.

Absolutely disgusted at the scenes from Washington, DC today.

We know who's responsible for it .................. and it's par for the way he behaved in business, if every story is to be believed.

Let's just hope the Inauguration goes ahead without any problems on the 20th, and life in that country returns to something more like normal.

It's also good to hear that there are 2 new Democratic Senators, so the Democrats have control of the Senate, which means Biden should have an easier time at getting his bills and laws through.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Jan 2021 23:56

Pence is covering his tracks - he's changed his Twitter background to a picture of Biden and Harris - as if that would result in leniency!
All as thick as pigs in the proverbial :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Jan 2021 01:03

Pence did finally have the courage to "disobey" Trump, and said he would uphold his oath, and not refuse to accept any of the states' results.

Took him a long time ....... but then he apparently has "presidential aspirations".

Linda

Linda Report 7 Jan 2021 02:19

I was shocked at the scenes on tv I think normal republicans seem to be very angry like most people but I also think it might put the Republican Party back like the Labour Party over Blair taking us to war in Iraq

Allan

Allan Report 7 Jan 2021 04:17

For once words fail me :-0

I could not believe what I saw on the TV this morning, and Trump in his message to the 'patriots' was still insisting that the election results had been stolen from him.

Since then, nothing!

Is he beginning to realise what he has unleashed or doesn't he care?

It's no longer God Bless America, but God Help America :-(

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 7 Jan 2021 07:09

I agree with all that you've said above.

I watched it on tv before I went to bed and was surprised at the restraint of the police - no one drew guns as far as I could see.

One thing I hope never comes to pass, as I wrote near the end of the 'All over Wednesday' thread yesterday evening - I have heard mention that Trump is laying the groundwork for one of his children to become President some time in the future. I truly hope last night's shocking scenes prompted by his rabble-rousing and his babyish, dummy-spitting behaviour have put the kybosh on that idea.

Good luck to Biden and co. As you wrote, Sylvia, an easier ride now that those two seats went in the Democrats' favour - something I, too, was hoping would happen.

EDIT: have just heard on the news that shooting did occur, so I missed that.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Jan 2021 08:19

Twitter locked Trumps account.
So far 4 people have been killed.
One woman was shot while three others died in 'medical emergencies'.

Do we now await one of his weasely children to actually condemn his actions?

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 7 Jan 2021 08:47

Fat chance of any of his children doing that, Maggie. They'll probably be fighting among themselves for the unenviable position of being Trump's choice! :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 7 Jan 2021 08:52

Disgusting scenes for a supposedly civilised country. But, being followers of Trump after his recent behaviour, what does it say about them?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 7 Jan 2021 09:36

Why won’t his kids condemn him — Money!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Jan 2021 09:38

So true. Not an ounce of moral fibre among them :-|

Dermot

Dermot Report 7 Jan 2021 11:23

A few never progressed from barbarism to civilisation.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 7 Jan 2021 14:41

Trump announced the other day that he was going to come to Scotland and play golf!

Nicola Sturgeon's immediate reaction was "Oh no you're not. If other people can't fly in from America, why should you?"

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Jan 2021 14:42

Good old Nicola! :-D :-D :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 7 Jan 2021 15:06

I thought it was more on the lines of ‘Golf is not an essential journey’.

I’m sure lots of ‘golf widows’ now think it is ;-) ;-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Jan 2021 17:57

Latest news here was that Trump has posted on Twitter, via an aide*, that there will be an orderly transfer of power in 2 weeks time .................... BUT he still won the election and it was stolen from him :-(

* via an aide because Twitter and another social media banned him from posting for 12 hours, and Facebook banned him for 24 hours.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Jan 2021 17:58

namelessone .......

yes, that was what she said, that golf was not an "essential" journey, but she added that he was the same as anyone else ............. it was not an "essential" journey and he would not be allowed into Scotland.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 7 Jan 2021 20:40

"Unto that Power he doth belong Which only doeth Right while ever willing Wrong"

Goethe

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 8 Jan 2021 09:38

From my hilarious and oft-vivid imagination:

Trump flying in on his private jet and trying to sneak under the radar - just to prove he can beat Scotland's lockdown rules. He is, after all, still the real president of the 'world's greatest democracy' - ;-)

Nicola and company chasing him up the highlands and down the lowlands, skirts-a-twirling, bagpipes going like the clappers, skean dhus at the ready.

Gawd, I have gone over the top. It must be lockdown fever! :-D

(It really must be lockdown, folks, because I can imagine Melania kicking him out of the door half-way over the Atlantic too.)

BrianW

BrianW Report 8 Jan 2021 10:04

At the start of Trump's term in office I thought that he was a good candidate to be the next President to be assassinated.

Now I am even more worried that one of his fanatic supporters will consider it their patriotic duty to bump off Biden.