General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

*****Gerry Marsden *****

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbra

Barbra Report 3 Jan 2021 17:54

Passed away RIP You'll Never Walk Alone x Thank you for your Music <3 Barbara <3

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Jan 2021 18:06

GERRY Marsden, please!!!

Gerry and the Pacemakers, another Liverpool group that started round about the same time of the Beatles!

Better known for their song Ferry Cross the Mersey and How Do You Do It to some of us ;-)

RIP Gerry

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 3 Jan 2021 18:30

RIP Gerry <3

You'll Never Walk Alone <3

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 3 Jan 2021 20:23

I had a huge crush on Gerry when I was in my young - mid teens.
So sad :-(

RIP GERRY <3

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Jan 2021 22:27

He was starting in Liverpool when I went to university there.

I heard hi a couple of times, and always preferred Gerry and the Pacemakers or the Beatles and the Rolling Stones.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 4 Jan 2021 00:06

RIP Gerry and thank you for fondly-remembered times. <3

Linda

Linda Report 4 Jan 2021 00:33

I loved Geary and the Pacemakers they were my generation along with the Beatles Cliff Bennett and the Reblerousers along with a host of others the sixty s was the best time to grow up. When my daughter moved up to the Wirral with her partner and little boy the first thing I wanted to do when I went to visit them was to take a return trip from the Wirral to Liverpool by ferry but all the play over and over again is ferry across the Merseyside you do get a bit fed up with the tune

Rip Gerry thank for the memories <3

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Jan 2021 01:51

Wasn't the drummer with the Pacemakers Gerry's brother Freddie?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Jan 2021 02:45

Linda ..........

I rode the ferry many times while I was at university in Liverpool between 1959 and 1964.

It was great fun ................. although the last ferry was usually to be avoided, unless you were in a group

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 4 Jan 2021 08:04

Ah, I remember the Royal Iris and the Royal Daffodil very well and many times I have crossed the water on both of them - especially from my hometown to New Brighton when I was a child.

2020 was the first year my cousins and I were unable to meet up in Liverpool for quite a few years..... but 'We'll be back.' <3

Edit: Ioved that floating pier too; it was a lovely feeling.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 4 Jan 2021 09:24

One of our favourite ferry trips when I was younger was to Bidston Hill. As with New Brighton it meant a walk or a bus at the end but it also meant freedom to a child.

The one place I never visited as a child was Port Sunlight - finally caught up with that abour four or so years ago. This is where The Girls' Club picture (my current avatar) is from. It was particularly interesting because the sister of one of my cousins OH lived there for many years.

Thoughts of one of Liverpool's favourite sons can evoke a lifetime of memories.

Gerry <3

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 4 Jan 2021 10:19

Yes Sharron - Freddie Marsden died some time ago.

Barbra

Barbra Report 4 Jan 2021 12:09

Some great groups bands in the 60s & you could sing along remember the words a great time good memories of a great era RIP <3

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Jan 2021 17:32

as if we didn't already know that!

Barbra

Barbra Report 6 Jan 2021 17:44

It's Liverpool FC *Anthem * the fans sing it with such gusto & when they get back on the Terraces should be a great tribute to Gerry <3

Barbra

Barbra Report 6 Jan 2021 17:50

Rollo only a young man then ?

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 6 Jan 2021 17:57

In his dreams methinks Barbara :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 6 Jan 2021 21:36

Not before my time Rollo. I remember seeing it at the flicks!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Jan 2021 22:59

Barbra ......

it may be the song for soccer

but it is much more memorable when heard in its original setting.

I've seen it both on film back in the day and in a live show not that many years go

I'm sure Rollo is older than 25, which is about the length of time since I saw the stage show!

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 7 Jan 2021 07:50

Sylvia, I love live shows of any sort - they seem to be much more inclusive,

I am not a musical fan but I also remember going to see South Pacific at the flicks when it came out. They were special films that were praised to high heaven in their era and I can remember the anticipation that we felt all those years ago.

Flicks! Always reminds me of my Mum and Liverpool aunts who never ever called them anything else.

Happy memories last a lifetime. <3