General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Masks compatible with hearing aids.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 2 Jan 2021 13:53

And glasses, I’m having difficulty finding any that are comfortable and I can’t be the only one. X.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 2 Jan 2021 13:59

I’m not sure comfort and masks are compatible. :-\

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 2 Jan 2021 14:05

I know what you mean, it is a struggle to keep glasses and hearing aids on while taking mask off lol.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 2 Jan 2021 14:07

I don’t have hearing aids but have been known to knock my specs off when removing my mask.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 2 Jan 2021 15:02

Several options here, although some of them look a bit uncomfortable. :-) :-)

https://tinyurl.com/ycjuuufs

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 2 Jan 2021 15:24

I fiind my gogs steam up on a regular basis!

That trick of leaving a film of washing up liquid on them, doesnt work for me. :-(

Von

Von Report 2 Jan 2021 17:08

I’m with you there Maddie. ;-)

Neither does the very expensive stuff I bought from the optician :-(

I made a mask that is a different shape and it is better but not in cold weather :-0

However if you have hearing aids there is a solution if the elastic is threaded through a hem on either side and goes around the ears.

Remove the elastic and get a new much longer piece. Thread it through one side from from top to bottom then across and up the other side.

Make sure that it is long enough to go around the neck and around your head and tie a knot.
This means that it is your head that holds the mask and not your ears.

Lots of masks are made with this arrangement anyway. :-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 2 Jan 2021 17:30

My best fitting masks are 2 that have a continuous sort of bias edging, which also goes over the ears. They fit snuggly, but not so tight or narrow that they entangle with a fine hearing aid wire.
More than once, when wearing one of my other masks, I have had to cling onto my mask and go back outside the shop to readjust it, when I can feel it pulling at my hearing aid.
My daughter did order me some of those back-of-the-head plastic strips, which are OK with one of my masks( thick, handmade, pleated and with round elastic for ear pieces)

I therefore find I use my different masks for different occasions.

Now that it's cold, I have to factor a warm hat into the hearing aid/ glasses / mask mix!

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 2 Jan 2021 17:40

I wish I has seen this post before I went to the pharmacy earlier! I saw a man wearing a mask that would have been ideal - I could have asked him where he had bought it :-)

It narrowed down to a band which went under his ears and did up behind his neck, His did have a metal nose clip which was on the outside!

I have googled to see if I could find it and the nearest I have found is here, 2nd and 3rd row down, black with a black/white print
inner:

https://www.etsy.com/market/hearing_aid_mask

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Jan 2021 18:00

Some masks have removable linings which can be disposed of, and the rest of the mask can be washed! Other masks have an inbuilt lining. These should be washed after every use. These ARE viable.

As for contact lenses - well strangely, not all people can wear them, or even want to.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 2 Jan 2021 18:08

I can't wear contact lens at all and I have to wear varifocals all the time, I am as blind as a bat without them.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 2 Jan 2021 18:10

Same here, except the varifocals.

Lucky that Rollo can afford to keep on buying disposable masks. Others have to make do with washable ones.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Jan 2021 18:13

What RTR - washing masks is a faff? How is that a faff?
It saves people throwing their disposable ones on the floor.
Do you wear disposable underwear for 'ease'? I mean, they're a 'faff' to wash, as is any item of clothing.
Do you really think think putting a mask (or rather asking the partner to) in a washing machine is a 'faff'? It's not difficult - even a 3 year old can do it!

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 2 Jan 2021 18:14

I use washable one which are sterilized after just one use and NO they are not a fashion accessory :-|

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Jan 2021 18:15

I'm wondering what makes RTR's life so busy, he's incapable of doing any washing!!

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 2 Jan 2021 18:18

I could say something but I won't ;-) :-D :-D :-D :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 2 Jan 2021 18:55

I have a medical problem that won't allow the wearing of contact lenses

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 2 Jan 2021 19:08

I can’t be doing with putting anything in my eyes, thankfully I don’t have to. Some of the suggestions I shall be looking into thanks all.

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 2 Jan 2021 19:33

A handy tip for holding a mask on glasses is to thread a tiny elastic band through two holes on a button with the loops at the back of the button it can then be threaded onto your glasses and the mask elastic hooked onto the buttons on the glasses ,so no elastic over the ears .

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 2 Jan 2021 19:33

I was surprised to discover you could just send off for contact lenses. Surely you need an initial input from an optician. Otherwise how do you work out your contact lens prescription. It is not like going to the supermarket and working your way through the reading glasses.

I’ve tried them a couple of times ( under supervision and didn’t get on with them at all.