General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What size do "they" think we are??

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 31 Dec 2020 12:02

I received some vouchers for Christmas, so I have been looking through various websites for something to spend them on.

Some sites (in this case mainly M & S) now say what size their models are. I found something I liked, which looked good on the model ------ who was 5' 10" tall wearing size 8. :-| :-| :-|

Below is a quote from google.

*******Today's British women are 5ft 5ins tall on average, weigh 11st, have size six feet and dress size 16. ******

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 31 Dec 2020 13:08

Depending on where I shop I vary in size from 16 to 20 so I need to try things on in the shop, whatever happened to measurements in inches?

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 31 Dec 2020 13:13

Then of course there is the even more frustrating small, medium, large etc. Hubby bought some tee shirts different sizes but all fitted the same.

Island

Island Report 31 Dec 2020 13:23

That must have been a very generous size 8 that the 5'10 model was wearing! FGS! She must have been skin and bone or was it open down the back?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 31 Dec 2020 14:03

I had great fun in the 1970's - English (but if 'we' have to imply nationality is involved) - half Cornish) 5'3", size 4 shoes, just over 6 stone - and smaller than the (scarce) size 8 at the time :-S
That's when I taught myself to sew! I had no desire to continue wearing children's clothes.
Ny veu kevys sewyans vyth!

When I reached the 'heady' weight of 8 stone, and size 8 in the 1990's,after 2 children, I more or less gave up sewing, though I did have to alter a few items of clothing.

Since then, I have slowly, but steadily gained weight, and not had to sew a thing!.
I find M&S clothes - size 12/14 fit, but many aren't my style.

My youngest - a quarter Cornish - is, at the age of 38, after 2 children, 5'2", size 3 shoes, just over 7 stone, and still, generally a size 6, but may need a bigger size in the bust area :-D

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 31 Dec 2020 14:20

When I married in 1969 I was 5'4" tall and 8 stone and my wedding dress was a size 12, shoes size 4.

51 years later I am only 5' tall (possibly less than that now), 15 stone, size anything from 16 to 22 depending on the brand and my feet seem to have got bigger with the extra weight and are now size 5.

My dream is to be 5'6" tall and a perfect size 12 no matter what I eat :-D :-D :-D

Kath. x

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 31 Dec 2020 14:46

Dream on!

Island, that was my reaction and no, it didn't open down the back!!

I buy what size happens to fit and never mind the label. One of the disadvantages of online shopping, as I don't like returning items, however easy they make it.

As for sizing, the most annoying is unisex :-( :-( :-( when will they learn that men and women are NOT the same shape and certainly have different length arms. The clothes all seem to be sized for men, so it's tough if you don't have skinny hips and a pot belly!!

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 31 Dec 2020 14:46

I’m now in my 60s, 5’ 0, 12 stone and size. 5 or 6 shoe, I was 5’ 3” in. 2003 and 10 stone.

Von

Von Report 31 Dec 2020 15:51

It can work the other way too.

Clothes where sizes start at 10/12 and shoes that start at size 4. ;-) ;-) ;-)

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 31 Dec 2020 16:10

My missis is 5ft tall weighs 6 stone wears size 6 (used to get into 8's)
size 3 in shoes

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 31 Dec 2020 21:30

Makes you wonder where 'Google' got it's information on the 'average' woman.

I wonder what the 'average' size for men is, and whether any of the men comply? :-D

My 'driver' - Irish surname, mother's mother a Croatian gypsy stranded here after transporting horses to Southampton at the start of WWI, thereafter married a 'Forest Lad' (from the New Forest), (that's for the pedant who thinks nationality is important) has a size 28 waist and can't find trousers to fit him anywhere!

Von

Von Report 31 Dec 2020 22:28

Some online Maggie. Marks and Spencer, River Island etc

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 31 Dec 2020 23:08

Oh my, I feel huge now against all you petite ladies!

When I left school I was 5' tall but by the time I was 18 I had become 5'6" tall. Always had skinny legs and big feet ( think Olive Oyl) size 8.. At 34 before getting pregnant I weighed 8 stones but after my son was born I couldn't get below 9 stones and now weigh 13 stones. I had actually managed to lose a few pounds before Christmas but with 6 boxes of chocolate gifts, that might not continue lol

I don't buy clothes on line but tend to be ok buying size 20 from Tesco, Sainsbury, etc. Lidl, and Aldi.

Lizx

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 31 Dec 2020 23:14

Then "fashion" enters into it ...............

I do order clothes online from companies whose sizings I've come to trust over the years, or from stores carrying "designer" names that have sizings that fit me

Until ...............

the last couple of years when, designers for young women decided that clothes should be tight.

I'm not sure why everything should look shrunken and 2 or 3 sizes too small ........... but it looks even more ridiculous when "plus" sizing follows the same pattern

I'm wearing a Ralph Lauren turtleneck sweater that I bought on sale last year from a local department store, in what should have been my size, comfortably loose.

It is a good job that I am flat chested these days or it certainly would not have fitted had the boobs still been there!!

I didn't mind it so mu8ch when the trend was for very long sleeves or long length trousers as I'm tall and have long legs and long arms .................. for once I could have sweaters that really fit my arms, and trouser legs that went as far as the top of my shoes.

But tight and clingy??????

come on!!

As a long-legged person, I've bought trousers for over 25 years online from Land's End, an American company that offers FREE hemming to size for most of the trousers it offers ................... down to the nearest ¼"!!!!

It has never been easy to get free alterations for women's clothes.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 31 Dec 2020 23:19

Note ................. I haven't mentioned the sizes, not because I'm shy about it but the sizings over here do not compare with UK sizings, even shoe sizes are different!!

however, I'm about 5' 6" (was close to 5' 8" once upon a time), and weigh around 170 lbs (ca 12 st)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Jan 2021 00:00

Von, my 'driver' doesn't have any inkling of the internet.

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 Jan 2021 02:03

In the eighties, when the average woman was a size 14, my mate, who was that size explained to me that she needed to get to the shop soon after the size 14s came in because so many people wore them and they would be gone from the racks veery quickly.

I, however, in my fat frocks, had plenty of time to browse the monstrosities that were generally available to me.

BrianW

BrianW Report 1 Jan 2021 09:35

Mens' sizings tend to be much more sensible, you measure your waist and inside leg and order a pair of trousers with e.g, 36" waist, 30" inside leg.

How women ever get the right size clothes I really don't know. Probably because they have to order three of everything in different sizes and send back all but one which is environmentally disasterous.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 1 Jan 2021 11:24

I am not envious of small waists and dress sizes. But I am envious of those who have a full shoe size. I am a definite half size and don’t always find them.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Jan 2021 11:45

I feel for you, nameslessone.
I say my shoe size is 4, but it's actually between a 4 and a 5 - depending on the style of shoe.
I also have one foot slightly smaller/bigger than the other.

Unfortunately, my smaller foot is the right one, and people usually try on the right shoe in the shop, which can make the right shoe slightly bigger than the left!

I use a lot of insoles :-S