General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Spirit of Christmas?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 19 Dec 2020 10:58

Already the supermarket deliveries have started cutting items from their Christmas deliveries - such as the Turkey. Some won't get their deliveries until after Christmas and the Post Office may not get all their parcels out.

Now there is talk of stopping travel into and out of London and the Southeast.

Happy Christmas to one and all :-(

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Dec 2020 11:04

Where have you seen the info re cutting items from deliveries please?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 19 Dec 2020 11:16

I've had to hunt for the article - it might have been this one:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9067729/Christmas-online-food-delivery-chaos-self-isolating-shoppers-slots.html

To add to the misery South West trains have said they are not going into London but terminating at Basingstoke and Great Western were already having problems as they have had an outbreak in Plymouth.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Dec 2020 12:02

Ah thanks. I have a slot on Monday I pay extra to get advance booking but even so, so far I have had three items crossed off as now unavailable which is annoying when I ordered them three weeks ago. I have no doubt there will be more so, if you have a christmas order booked don't be complacent, keep checking it.

Von

Von Report 19 Dec 2020 12:17

If you are stuck both Co-op and Waitrose do a rapid shop that comes within two hours.

Of course it will depend what is left on the shelves. Marks and Spencer’s are doing a

timed entry for shopping so there might be some of those available but of course you

have to risk going to the shop.

Stay safe

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 19 Dec 2020 13:16

Fingers crossed for you Ann.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 19 Dec 2020 14:05

When I had ordered my groceries the day after the supermarket were telling me by email that some of the items were unavaible. But my delivery was today and go items that they were trying to cover for other items.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 19 Dec 2020 14:19

names, see my entry under thread entitled 'Oh no, not another Press Conference'.

It seems to me that London might be ring-fenced off.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 20 Dec 2020 22:40

We are so lucky that we live 5 mind walk from Morrisons Supermarket and ten minutes drive from three Co-ops. We have never ordered from a supermarket yet.

I think we can get enough stuff in.the freezer and fridge to last over the Christmas period and if not we will have to order a pizza delivery lol

So long as we can all be warm, safe and well fed it will be fine!I

Lizxx

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Dec 2020 22:45

My sister was due a Morrison's delivery yesterday, between 9pm and 10pm.
When she hadn't heard anything by 11pm, she contacted them, only to be told they couldn't deliver her order. When she asked when it would be delivered - she was told it wouldn't be! :-|

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Dec 2020 03:54

Lots of turkeys available in the supermarkets over here, all sizes from small to huge, and going cheap!

I haven't seen that for a long while.

Allan

Allan Report 21 Dec 2020 04:38

Wow! I've never heard of a dead turkey going cheep :-D

My apologies; if you didn't laugh, you'd cry

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Dec 2020 07:16

my delivery should be between 11 and 12 this morning. Hopefully not too much missing but not really anything on there that would be too disastrous.

Dermot

Dermot Report 21 Dec 2020 08:10

Christmas is not a time turkeys look forward to. :-\

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Dec 2020 08:42

And you know that how Dermot :-D do you talk turkey language? (the feathered variety).

Von

Von Report 21 Dec 2020 10:40

Our delivery driver told us yesterday that they had to close the meat counter in the

shop. They had to head off to their warehouse some 60 miles away to get more stock.

As they are only allowed something like 85 people in the store at any one time and

they had a huge queue at the checkout there was pandemonium outside with

people waiting.
Of course there will be people whose plans have had to change and are now faced

with buying a Christmas dinner.I was really grateful that I didn’t have to face that problem.

Dermot

Dermot Report 21 Dec 2020 10:52

AnninGlos - I am fairly confident in speaking 3 European languages although a few of my erstwhile American colleagues reckon my understanding of the (British) English language can, occasionally, be 'suspect'.

Back at you AnninGlos. "Gobble. Gobble". :-P

Happy Christmas. :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 21 Dec 2020 12:12

Me too, Von.

I am awaiting an imminent grocery delivery. An email told me that I had one substitution and that two items were unavailable so I am surprised how lucky I have been when I hear what has been written about availability of grocery items.

The one substitution was a chewy toy Xmas pressie for grandson's pooch - it's just a different toy they're delivering.

The two items for which I had not requested any substitutions were:

a pack of Marmite nuts (drat! - they're for me); and

and a pack of T the Diff Aberdeen Angus beefburgers (OH has Coeliac Disease and these have no gluten in them, so would have been for both of us to enjoy in a burger bun with all the trimmings, while relaxing in front of the telly on a no-cook winter's night).

For a while, I have been stocking up on things that we use regularly that come from the EU. I just don't trust Boris & Co to sort things out amicably by the end of the year.

I still feel for the fishermen because they're on the losing end whichever way the negotiations go.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Dec 2020 12:47

Main roads and motorways in this south east corner are grid-locked in places now that the borders with France are closed.
I pity the poor lorry drivers trying to get back to mainland Europe and now stuck in miles of queues for days.

Those coming into UK won't want to risk being held up after they've delivered their goods here, so whatever they are carrying will not be available until the situation eases.
Being in Tier 4, we are not supposed to be travelling about anyway.

Chance would be a fine thing

What we haven't got now, we will do without.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 21 Dec 2020 15:10

I hear Sainsbury's are restricting shoppers to one trolley each family.

I went to the village today where there is a mini Co-op and bought a turkey crown with no trouble. For the last couple of weeks the main Co-op has had notices on the meat shelves asking customers not to keep asking the staff about turkeys - they would be in on Saturday 19th and not before!!

Tomorrow I shall go into town as usual and do my weekly shop. I only have fresh stuff like milk, bread, veggies etc to get, so am not expecting any bother. However, I am glad that we decided not to travel south for Christmas. :-)