General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Has Boris been to Italy?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 21 Sep 2020 07:41

Has he?

One of the questions put to Grant S this morning.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Sep 2020 08:01

Don't know if it's true or not, but if it is then he should resign. I know you can travel for work but it's been suggested that this was a trip to have his son baptised.

Kath. x

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 21 Sep 2020 08:07

I have no idea whether it's true either, Kath. But it was put forward that his partner, Carrie, went with him.

What fleetingly crossed my mind was if it is true was it designed to allow Boris to resign because he broke the rules, thereby giving him an 'out' from his post and his duties.

Passing the buck (poison chalice at the moment) to someone else!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Sep 2020 08:10

I think he'd like a way out at the moment. Being Prime Minister hasn't turned out the way he expected.

However I don't think Downing Street would deny it if it was true - or would they????

Kath. x

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 Sep 2020 09:14

Raab flew to the US - for trade talks. Why they couldn't do them over the internet is beyond me.
Unfortunately, Raab's bodyguard left his gun on the plane.

In February, Cameron's bodyguard left HIS gun on a plane too.

Their incompetence knows no bounds! :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 21 Sep 2020 09:21

I wonder if any of them could even lie straight in bed.

When Boris's possible trip (with Carrie) was mentioned this morning, it appeared to have been a 'jolly' so unconnected with work.

Back later - when we may have found out the truth.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Sep 2020 10:15

I am not sure but he was at the service (It said in the DM) for battle of Britain and was in parliament on Friday. Think there was a virtual link up (zoom maybe on Saturday but he could have been anywhere doing that. However it could be just somebody in Italy trying to cause trouble who knows.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Sep 2020 10:37

The story doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere on the BBC so I think it may possibly have no foundation.

Kath. x

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 Sep 2020 10:40

He was alleged to have gone on 11 September, and returned on 14th - so a week before the Service.

Didn't No.10 initially deny Cummings went to Barnard Castle?

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 21 Sep 2020 10:48

Is Italy currently on the list of quarantine countries :-S

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 21 Sep 2020 11:26

Kath, it was on BBC news this morning when the question was put to Grant S who hedged a bit (no outright denial but no confirmation either) so no one was any the wiser.

I got the impression that the inference was that the trip had been earlier so I have no idea whether it was taken during travel restrictions.

It was the first I had heard of it but I thought it was not right if such a trip had taken place during travel restrictions to Italy and bad form if it was true even though travel to Italy is allowed at the moment - not a good example to set to citizens under present circumstances and conditions.

Mischief-making or whistle-blowing! Who knows?

Also, since you mention DC, Maggie, last night the news showed him leaving No, 10, the camera following him a little way along the street. I wondered why as no questions were put to him. Now, I feel it could have been a lead-up, reminding viewers of his jaunt during lockdown - fresh in our minds when 'the Italian Job' was broken this morning. :-D

The mind works in mysterious ways. :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 21 Sep 2020 13:42

Mischief making as always, probably by the Brexit remainers who won't let go

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 22 Sep 2020 08:13

Westminster Cathedral is where Boris's son was baptised and it has been confirmed he was in UK at his son baptism when he was supposed to be in Italy.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 22 Sep 2020 08:50

It is just the anti Boris crew s**t stirring again. :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 22 Sep 2020 09:13

I saw that, Pat, but when I watched it the BBC mentioned no dates when they spoke with Grant S about it. There have been at least three dates 'thrown about' by other people, so who knows?

Whether it be true or not, I feel that someone at the BBC has the bit between his teeth - much as they did with the Dom C debacle which, as Maggie pointed out, was categorically denied until it became it impossible to refute it.

As the saying goes, we are living through interesting times (and dangerous ones too) ..... but not, I feel, a time where we should throw out the need for transparency and accountability. I don't think it is too much to expect of any government, not just a Conservative one.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Sep 2020 09:30

The dates I have seen were 11th to 14th September evening on the 11th and early morning the 14th.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 22 Sep 2020 09:40

I think I must be missing the point here :-0. If there were no travel restrictions or quarantine required for travellers to/from Italy during the period in question, does it really matter if Boris went to Italy :-S :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Sep 2020 09:54

Well, it does seem a little inconsiderate to not bother appearing with the health experts employed by the Government, when they were outlining new Covid restrictions etc., especially as it now appears he was in Downing Street all the time, and the alleged trip was all a misunderstanding!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/21/from-scandal-to-pr-cock-up-how-the-boris-johnson-perugia-mystery-unravelled

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 22 Sep 2020 10:12

Belle, no dates mentioned by the BBC when they asked Grant S about it so it could have been any time when it would have been frowned upon.

A few dates this month have been bandied about but my impression at the time was that it was earlier - else why question him?

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 22 Sep 2020 10:41

My impression was that the news conference was purposely just held by the 'men of science', without any politician involved, to emphasise the seriousness of the situation that the country now finds itself in. With them telling the public that if we do not stem this situation what the awful outcome could be.

My understanding is that Boris will be heading a Cobra meeting today based on the information provided yesterday by the 'men is science' and addressing the Nation later.