General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can I just put a different view.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 May 2020 13:44

A little girl of four comes from a family in the north of England but she lives with Mummy and Daddy in London because that is where Daddy works.

Mummy is showing the symptoms of a very unpredictable illness that is sweeping the country. Because of this illness, Daddy is out at work a lot and it is very possible that he might catch the illness himself and, if Mummy becomes very ill, nobody she knows well will be able to look after her when she really needs security.

Rather than involve anybody else, Daddy drives the little girl and Mummy, in his own car, to the place where the family live so that she can be with family who love her and who she and Mummy feel comfortable with. If Mummy becomes very ill and needs to go into hospital, she will know that her little irl is with people she knows and trusts.

I honestly think I would have done the same.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 24 May 2020 13:47

OK. But would you have driven yourself that far if you, yourself, were feeling really grotty. Which is what some reports have made out.

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 May 2020 14:02

Probably.

Try to get there before I was too ill to get there at all.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 24 May 2020 14:09

And would you have had a trip out to another nearby town while you were supposedly suffering from the virus and supposed to be isolating?

Then would you have taken another long trip returning to the same place after you'd got back home?

Both of these incidents occurred according to news reports.

There were two of them with the child. Did they really have no childcare or standby family in or near London who would have cared for the child if the worse came to the worse? Who knows, but, on telly, I saw a young, single mum who had recovered from the virus but had had to isolate with a young child as her family lived many miles away and were elderly anyway. As she put it, he was in the wrong.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 24 May 2020 14:27

Does his sister not live round the corner from him
in London or have I got the wrong person?

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 May 2020 14:27

I don't know if he went out or not but I can understand why he would have taken the little girl back to where the family is because she needed security and people she was comfortable with if both her parents became ill and unable to care for her

Maddie

Maddie Report 24 May 2020 14:38

sharron, i totally agree and wish the media would get all the facts right before whipping up a storm of speculation
compared to the idiots who think mass gatherings are acceptable
eg

More than 50 people were caught drinking and sunbathing during lockdown - leaving a beauty spot completely trashed.

A group of more than 50 were spotted gathered together at Stoney Bank lake, off Stones Bank Road, in Egerton on Wednesday as temperatures soared in the region.

they should have been arrested and forced to clean up their mess but then should the police be exposed to potential carriers

of the two which is the worst "crime"
but then politics don't come into the latter

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 24 May 2020 14:40

They mentioned this morning on TV that he also has relatives close by in London. Surely they could have helped if and when needed.

I don't know if it is true but it was reported that the weekend he went up to Durham happened to be his mother's birthday.

Kath. x

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 May 2020 14:50

To be honest, Kath, none of us know what is true but the newspapers are making a mighty fine meal of it.

Can you wonder Meghan Markle is taking several of them to court for reporting things about her of which they really only know a tiny bit?.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 24 May 2020 17:31

The parents at home should have stayed there and rung Social services for help in either taking or getting in touch with her family to come and get the child if they were ill.

No Sympathy with them still needs sacking.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 24 May 2020 17:39

It is a vendetta against him by the lefties who dislike the fact that he had a lot to do with fully supporting Brexit and is also talking about sorting out the dross on the civil service :-|

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 May 2020 17:44

That would have involved contact with people from the Social Services and the need for family members to travel, in their vehicle, to place where they might have contacted infection and the little girl would have been disturbed by all sorts of strange thing in her life.

That little girl travelled, with her parents, to a familiar place to see people she was happy and comfortable with, who could have supported her through whatever traumas might arise from her parents being ill.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 24 May 2020 17:47

Sharron, has Meghan M not hit a bit of a brick wall already with the court case? I have a feeling that I read something about that situation several weeks ago - possibly near the beginning of lockdown, but I can't quite remember exactly what it was, sorry.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 24 May 2020 17:52

I thought the guidelines said that, if one person was ill within a household, the WHOLE household locks down for 14 days. There seems to be no concern that they could have spread the virus amongst their relatives in Durham.

You can argue that he has been true to the 'law' (if other trips are proved false) but he has NOT been true to the spirit of it. It's a kick in the teeth to all those people self isolating, not seeing family, not visiting sick and dying relatives in hospitals and care homes, not going out at all. What sort of message does it send to the front-line workers, those care home workers who've moved into their work places to protect their own families, those who put themselves at risk through their own (vital) jobs.

Stand outside and applaud and then give 'two fingers'.

I am not pro or anti this government, I don't particularly like Boris & co but don't envy any cabinet and advisers in their position, but this has really stuck in my craw.

And it is MY opinion so I don't expect anyone to agree with it :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 24 May 2020 17:54

Emma, I heard something similar about relatives living near them.

Kath, if you're right about his mother's birthday it could well be why he's making his suffering an excuse for a visit.

But I don't think you mean that we can all visit mothers and fathers for their birthdays during lockdown, do you? There'll be plenty of people who have followed the rules and not made such visits for special occasions.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 24 May 2020 17:57

I agree with Sue in Yorkshire and Sheila West Wilts.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 24 May 2020 18:00

A lot of people would have heard or read the stay home etc rules, but will have completely missed the get out clause because it wasn’t pushed alongside the rules.

They will have found it very tough suffering the virus And looking after the kids. If one finds oneself too ill to look after the kids the help should come to you not the other way round.

Also many people seem to have gone down very quickly,so was it really safe to start a long journey knowing that, actually, you may be too unwell to finish the journey.

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 May 2020 18:05

Four year olds don't understand the spirit of the law or that having the very overstretched social services, who are very busy dealing with children whose parents have no consideration for their feelings, are doing things for their welfare.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 24 May 2020 18:25

Something struck me about the whole situation.

At first, I got the impression BoJo and some cohorts were trying to deny it happened or questioned those who were saying it had happened. That's when I felt they were beginning to sound like Trump, 'It's fake news.'

Gawd, I hope we don't get into that sort of situation

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 May 2020 18:37

Is it being blown up to hide something?