General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

UK Freedom Movement

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 15 May 2020 15:31

I saw online yesterday on the Kent news about mass gatherings which are set to take place tom(Sat), but not just in Kent but in fact all over the uk in parks etc.

The posters mention a company called UK Freedom Movement.

They are encouraging thousands of people to turn out, bring a picnic, drinks etc and have fun. Its an anti government gathering, saying the lockdown is illegal, anti vaccine and other things.

Good grief I hope people do not turn out to these gatherings! As if the police haven't enough to do as it is.

Has anyone else heard about this event?

Florence in the hebrides

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 15 May 2020 15:40

I don't know any details myself, but I think there is something planned for Folkestone.

My elder daughter and her friend were hoping to meet up ( at social distance ) and resume the walking they enjoyed before lockdown, but have decided to give it a miss in case they come across any of the protesters.
They'll go another day.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 15 May 2020 15:51

Good idea Gwyn. Don't think they would want to get mixed up with whatever will go on.

If any parks have gates, the police should lock them all after 6pm tonight!

Florence in the hebrides

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 15 May 2020 15:53

Wouldn't it be good if the ringleaders were rounded up beforehand and taken to help out hospital porters? It won't happen, of course, but they would get their eyes opened if it did.

When one funeral director spoke yestrday of running out of coffins it ought to have been a warning to them and, indeed, to everyone.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 15 May 2020 16:07

Just looked online for information.
Folkestone park does not have a gate. It was gifted to the town back in 1800s It is used for all manner of public events. It's more or less open ground on all sides.
A bit further south is also an extensive coastline, so it is difficult to stop people arriving.
The police and council are aware, so let's hope they can keep things calm.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 15 May 2020 16:27

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/how-police-deal-illegal-anti-18249420

mostly known as the anti-vaxxers

Florence61

Florence61 Report 15 May 2020 16:32

Yes and I dug a bit further. The leader Jayda Fransen was the former dep leader of the Anti Muslim group Britain First. She has 2 homes, 1 in Belfast and 1 in London.

Linked to her also is Nick Griffin who is encouraging people to "smash the lockdown."

Really not a great bunch of people to get involved with.

Florence in thehebrides

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 May 2020 17:03

Fransen and Griffin are a nasty pair of racists :-|

The irony is, the surname 'Fransen' is of Dutch origin, so she's a hypocrite, as well as being a thick racist!

Just read that 2 weeks ago, Fransen set up a limited company called 'Freedom Movement Ltd', no doubt to encourage 'supporters' to send money to fund the 'company', which will then close.

Tawny

Tawny Report 15 May 2020 17:23

There are two planned in Edinburgh tomorrow. Mr Owl and I will be inside tomorrow removing our last set of shelves in the living room with hammer and chisel and generally avoiding all of it.

The main organisers are a nasty group of people and we will avoid all of it like the plague.

It will be interesting to see what Nicola Sturgeon says to it all.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 May 2020 17:42

The meetings have been advertised quite a bit. I think they recently had a meeting at Glastonbury and Corbyn’s brother was much involved.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 May 2020 17:47

If deniers want to spread it amongst themselves - so be it.
However, they should then self-isolate at home - or prison - for 14 days - and not expect help from the NHS.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 15 May 2020 18:54

Ooh, not the prisons, Maggie. We have three in our immediate area and there has been a death in one that we know of. We are not getting any news about them now but we all know that anything spreads like wildfire in prisons. :-(

Anyway, how would the poor little dears cope with life in prison?

Now if we could find an old unused one and dump the idiots in it and let them fend for themselves, that would larn 'em. :-0

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 May 2020 19:11

A well fenced, dilapidated airfield in tents, perhaps?

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 15 May 2020 19:50

Eminently suitable and plenty good enough for them Maggie. :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 May 2020 19:57

:-D :-D :-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 15 May 2020 20:22

I gather that Shamina Begum returned home yesterday........

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 May 2020 20:36

Where did you hear that, Bob?
...because she hasn't.

https://fullfact.org/online/shamima-begum-has-not-secretly-returned-britain/

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 15 May 2020 22:35

Ah! i bin mis led....then...

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 May 2020 22:44

Happens a lot on the internet! :-(

Florence61

Florence61 Report 16 May 2020 16:05

Well well now! It would appear that there were few and far between mass gatherings. No show by protesters in Leeds, Sheffield and Brighton….

Don't you just love it when something backfires..lol

Well done to the public for staying away.

Florence in the Hebrides.

Ps Of course if anyone knows where a demo did actually happen, let us know please just out of curiosity.