General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Coronavirus

Page 0 + 1 of 17

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Jan 2020 15:13

If any of the newspapers are to be believed ( ;-) ) then Coronavirus may already be here.

Lets hope they are ALL wrong.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 23 Jan 2020 15:19

Frightening thought but even if it isn't it will be. And our Grandson is due to start wotk in China (Beijing) next month

Lubeelu

Lubeelu Report 23 Jan 2020 15:21

Extra vigilance with hand-washing
:-0

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 23 Jan 2020 15:24

Yes but, as it is spread by coughing and sneezing the Chinese idea of face masks is probably better, having been sitting in the doctors waiting room yesterday with a man who saw no need for a hankie over his mouth when he both coughed and sneezed.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Jan 2020 15:27

I got told off yesterday by a practice nurse for not getting help with my horrendous cold at the end of December.

I told her I would have cleared the waiting room! No one wants to be in the same room as someone coughing and spluttering the way I was.

Barbra

Barbra Report 23 Jan 2020 16:13

Been reported three in Edinburgh one in Glasgow new cases flown in from China .not nice at all Barbara

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 23 Jan 2020 16:25

Unfortunately not a lot we can do except hope we don't catch it, or if we do we can get over it.
It seems strange that SARS also originated in China?

Caroline

Caroline Report 23 Jan 2020 16:43

Don't your doctors' offices etc give face mask to you if you're coughing when you go in? Here since SARS hit us anyone coughing for any reason has to wear a mask no question.
Sad to say I think it's probably already spread to most countries that have any connections to China etc, trouble is any screening they do at airports will get lots of false positives as early signs are very similar to flu.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Jan 2020 16:49

I don't think they do. They have to start.

There have already, apparently, been complaints that passengers landing were given information leaflets in English and no other checks.

Caroline

Caroline Report 23 Jan 2020 17:06

In that case yes you need to up your game. We kept many things in motion after SARS but that said I'd "worry" we might be complacent...

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 24 Jan 2020 08:53

We seem to be up to about 14 suspected cases.

This will only get worse as Chinese students return for University.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Jan 2020 09:23

It seems that many universities have told their Chinese students that those who travelled home for Chinese New Year will not be re-admitted until they have been quarantined. However it looks as if those who returned to Wuhain(Sp) won't be able to return to UK yet as the whole city is in lockdown, no flights, trains, buses out and roads blocked at toll booths. In an effort to contain it.

Caroline

Caroline Report 24 Jan 2020 12:03

The masks have sold out here in most stores, but public health is saying they're not going to do much good stopping you getting the virus just stopping you spreading it.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1883627

(Just in case I'm told I don't know what I'm on about!!)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Jan 2020 12:04

I seem to remember that from when SARS was around Caroline.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 24 Jan 2020 15:28

Looks as though the UK 14 have been cleared but Chicago seems to have one confirmed.

The French also seem to have found the daft Chinese woman who boasted of hiding her heightened temperature from the authorities.

There will probably be more like her...

Caroline

Caroline Report 25 Jan 2020 04:54

I see they're building a whole hospital from scratch to deal with this...certainly being seen to be doing something.

Allan

Allan Report 25 Jan 2020 09:51

Some cases here in Oz, in the Eastern States.

My Chinese SIL recently returned from a trip to China, but nowhere near the seat of infection

She is fine. :-)

Masks are routinely offered in GP's surgeries here.

Hilary

Hilary Report 25 Jan 2020 13:23

My son, daughter in law & grandaughter live in Beijing, on holiday in Thailand at moment. they are there for 2 weeks, goodness knows how it will be in 2 weeks time, just hope they stay well. Health & hygene in the markets does'nt exist & can be very crowded. D.I.L. shops in them all the time.A lot of Chinese will be displaced & I feel sorry for them as it can be the only time of the year they see families. Think it will get worse before it gets better.

Caroline

Caroline Report 25 Jan 2020 14:22

Sadly I think you're right Hilary, right now doctors and nurses are dropping like flies but that's more to exhaustion than the virus it seems.
Hope your family is safe and well when this is all done.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Jan 2020 21:59

I read yesterday that the UK is now looking for 2000 people who travelled from China to London about 2 weeks ago, and were let in without much checking.

Our Public Health people and pharmacists are saying that the simple masks are no good at protecting you from catching any kind of virus. Protection is provided by the NP95 with respirator.

Plus a Chinese doctor who caught the coronavirus has said that he thinks eyes could be a transmission point, as the only protection he was not wearing when seeing suspected cases was for his eyes.