General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Better Grammar

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 21 Jan 2020 12:21

The phrase 'for free' never fails to annoy me. Nothing is for free, it is either free of charge or for nothing and it always jumps out at me when it is misused.

The Farm Foods adverizement has always had elderly, apparently reasonably educated, people telling us that their frozen meals are delivered for free when you know that person would never say that in reality.

The Farm Foods advert came on last night and the lady said her food had been delivered free.

I was delighted.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 Jan 2020 12:55

It seems to creep into the language, like 'should of' - which really, really annoys me.

I've even seen it in newspapers :-|

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 21 Jan 2020 12:57

'Heavy fog' :-S :-S

Thick or dense, please...

Rambling

Rambling Report 21 Jan 2020 13:16

I can cope with the grammar, but I can't cope with the letter H being pronounced Haitch.

Sharron

Sharron Report 21 Jan 2020 13:45

I went back to listening to The Archers for a short time when they highlighted a narcissistic relationship.

There was a court case and one whole episode was set in the jury room where one member of the jury was supposedly an older lady who was an academic It was gripping until the academic said "We would not be sat here" when I kind of stopped believing.

Annx

Annx Report 21 Jan 2020 14:12

I hate 'shot dead' instead of shot and died or killed.

A neighbour of ours has renamed their house and put up a very smart new sign saying 'THE YEW'S'. :-(

Sharron

Sharron Report 21 Jan 2020 14:18

The house must belong to the tree.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 21 Jan 2020 15:09

Don't get me started!!

Laying down instead of lying, less instead of fewer, and OH's pet hate - open 7 days. He always wants to know which 7 days!! :-(

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 21 Jan 2020 15:11

Also

"for sure," instead of certain/ly

A neighbour of ours has renamed their house and put up a very smart new sign saying 'THE YEW'S'.

must be akin to The Larches?

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 21 Jan 2020 15:41

I can handle the grammar because I'm guilty
In how I use it at times. Probably because I'm lazy.

What really gets up my nose is someone saying
" They need closure" and the word infrastructure
these seem to be used a lot.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 21 Jan 2020 16:33

Like Andysmum the one that really gets me grinding my teeth and clenching my fists is less instead of fewer. I also hate "bored of". At school we were always taught to say "bored with". "Iconic" is another one regularly overused; and don't get me going on the subject of people with apostrophe-itis!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Jan 2020 16:49

Annx "The Yew's" If you speak to them maybe ask "what? or where? As in the yew is......".

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 21 Jan 2020 18:50

...and answering every question with "so"

Dermot

Dermot Report 21 Jan 2020 19:21

Apparently, grammer & spilling are regaining there wrightful plaice in some secondary skools.

So, their you have it! :-D :-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 21 Jan 2020 19:52

DERMOT you spelled your first word correctry

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 21 Jan 2020 20:06

I am with Bob wit 'so' :-| :-| :-| and yeh yeh yeh who do they think they are the B****Y Beatles :-|

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Jan 2020 20:40

very unique

.......... something is either unique or not.

he got off of the bus

A pronunciation I sometimes hear from reporters on the radio and TV here is "sowthern" .................

I know south is pronounced "sowth", but I always though it was "suthern"

Allan

Allan Report 21 Jan 2020 21:12

Gotten...…...grr :-|

Sylvia, here in Oz, or at least in Western Oz, many TV reports pronounce words ending in 'er' as though they end with an a.

Likewise, they pronounce words such as grown, known as growen and knowen :-S :-S

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 Jan 2020 22:05

Reminds me of the time I said 'South - ampton' in front of my mother (I was in my 40's).
She 'corrected' me, it was, apparently, 'South-hampton' .
I pointed out it only had one 'h', so was either South-ampton, or 'Sout-hampton'
Okay, she grew up there, but I lived there for a few years, and knew how locals pronounced it!

Thank goodness she never heard me say 'Pee-oorts-muff' (Portsmouth) :-D :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 21 Jan 2020 22:57

I used to enjoy hearing my neighbour tell her children to talk proply.