General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

people born abroad

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian

Gillian Report 16 Sep 2019 22:15

hi how can i find birth details and marriages etc of people born on the continent thanks

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Sep 2019 22:19

Depends when & where.

Try this genealogical portal
https://cyndislist.com/categories/

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Sep 2019 22:22

If they were births born to acting service personnel then the births will be in the army indices on FMP

Rambling

Rambling Report 16 Sep 2019 22:25

Depends on date. Are they British citizens eg army births and marriages may be found on FMP

try https://www.familysearch.org/en/home/

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Sep 2019 23:14

Strange - both my brothers were born in Malta (dad in the Fleet Air Arm), however my mother didn't register them when they came back to the UK.
Younger of the brothers tried to get a passport in the early 1980's, (elder one got a passport with no problem in the 1970's)
Younger brother was labelled an 'illegal alien', and refused a passport.
Mother had to write and explain the situation, then register both boys.
So, they should be on Free BMD even if it was just on the date they were registered - but they aren't.

Gillian

Gillian Report 17 Sep 2019 11:21

they are italian born there i suppose thiis means that i cannot find them thanks

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Sep 2019 11:29

When were they born? We may be able to help if they are deceased.

Try facebook if they are living & likely to use it. People often put Happy Birthday or mention their wedding anniversary. Recent ER online usually give an indication of an age bracket. You could always ask them!!

Have you tried the two links given above - familysearch & cyndislist? Both are free & 'safe'.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 17 Sep 2019 12:59

Maggie your dad should have registered them in Malta and they would have been issued British birth certs. just born in Malta.

My son was born in Cyprus, OH in RAF - he registered him here and a few days later we received a birth cert. exactly the same as ours except place of birth SBA RAF Akrotiri. This is now on his driving licence as well and he has never had a problem in UK or out here.

Registration was via British Consulate in Nicosia but documents handed into my husband's RAF base and dealt with there and details sent to Nicosia.

It was less of a problem than our daughter's Lincolnshire birth. He had to find the registrar in Lincoln, park a long way away and wait ages to see the registrar. :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 17 Sep 2019 13:35

For Italian records try here:

https://www.family-tree.co.uk/how-to-guides/useful-genealogy-websites/150-million-italian-genealogical-records-now-available-free-of-charge

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 17 Sep 2019 13:55

Pat
My son was born in Cyprus too and was registered via Nicosia, like your son.
I know the Sovereign Base Areas were special cases, so wasn't sure whether or not Malta births were the same.
As far as I know, our son has never had any problem and the only time anyone passed comment was when our family returned to UK and had to reregister with GPs and someone in the health authority office asked where he was born, because his NHS number indicated that he was born outside of UK.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Sep 2019 14:31

Our granddaughter was born in Germany when her dad was a serving soldier based there

Her birth is on FMP under the army indices

She didn’t have to be re registered in the uk

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 17 Sep 2019 15:30

Our son was born in Ghana, and has a British Birth Cert., registered with the High Commissioner in Accra. He is on the BMD list of British Citizens born overseas.

He has of course had a passport since birth, and the only problem he has had was a few years ago when he needed a visa for China. I had a phone call asking "Mum, where exactly were you and Dad born? And do you know where and when your parents were born?"

As a result of Family History research, I did, and he was able to prove that none of his ancestors were Ghanaian!!

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 17 Sep 2019 16:01

Gwyn the process is just the same when it's forces children born abroad, it goes via the consulate or the embassy according to where it is.

You are correct with SBA being special as it's technically UK and the 2 hospitals were on it but now there's no military hospitals the babies are born at the local private hospitals on Cypriot soil and the process is still the same.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 17 Sep 2019 16:29

As it stands now and has stood for some years it is no longer possible to register the birth of a British citizen born abroad at the consulate ( they no longer renew passports either ).

Instead parents are supposed to register them according to the rules of the host country and then register them in the UK later on. It is possible to get an interim certificate online but as it confers no rights a bit pointless.

UK birth and marriage details are usually restricted for 5 years after the event. Most other countries apply a restricted period of 40-100 years for non family members. Most countries do not operate a centralised BMD register as in the UK which comes as quite a shock to many UK researchers.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 17 Sep 2019 17:09

Rollo it was not the Consulate who issued my son's birth certificate it was an RAF officer at HQ NEAF. The Consulate just put the birth in the register for an overseas birth. I then had to send them the birth cert, for my son to be put on my passport as we flew to our new posting 26 days after his birth.

They no longer do the passports so heaven knows how we could have gone on a posting that quickly these days. Think it took just over 3 weeks last time I renewed my passport.

Gillian

Gillian Report 17 Sep 2019 17:34

2 people died Marco bertolotti 2003? graziano bertolotti died 2010 in england but was taken back to italy Marco died in italy thanks

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Sep 2019 17:34

GRAZIANO
Last name BERTOLOTTI
Gender Male
Birth day 3
Birth month 9
Birth year 1940
Age -
Death quarter 2
Death year 1999
District Bromley
District number 2221D
Register number D34
Entry number 038
Date of registration mm/yy 0499
County Kent

2 marriages listed in this name - 1965 Camberwell & 1994 Croydon.
If the informant knew, the birth place might be listed on his DC.

Gillian

Gillian Report 17 Sep 2019 17:39

both marriages correct marrried twice he was born in it aly that i know for certain

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Sep 2019 17:43

His estate went to Probate. You can send for a pdf copy for £1.50. It might say where he wanted to be buried. That might give you a clue where his family came from. It’s a long shot but worth a try.
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Is his 2nd wife still alive? Have you attempted to contact her?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Sep 2019 17:47

If you wanted the exact date & place of the marriages, you’ll need to send for a copy of the certificates. The 1994 one may be too recent to order without knowing the exact date to start with.

The registration numbers for the 1965 marriage are on
https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl