Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage records

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

June

June Report 13 Nov 2019 20:28

On marriage records you have references eg. Volume, Page & Entry number. Will these numbers be identical for both the wife and husband. I thought I had found a match for a married couple but the Line Numbers are different.

Rambling

Rambling Report 13 Nov 2019 21:28

They should be the same, unless there is a mistranscription

You should be seeing something like this. from freebmd

Marriages Dec 1882 (>99%)
Baker Frederick John Chelsea 1a 545
Copas Mary Ann A Chelsea 1a 545 <<<<<<
Crabb Louisa Mary Chelsea 1a 545
KEATING Daniel Chelsea 1a 545 <<<<<

Kay????

Kay???? Report 13 Nov 2019 21:31

Yes they will,,,,,,but it can apply to more than one couple if their event fell inline with another couple and took place in that registration district,although their marries may have taken place on different days and different venues.and been a few miles apart.

example,,,,,,,,
June 1900.
Smith John,,,,7a---64,
Brown Amy...7a,,, 64,
Jones Jim,,,,,,7a,,,, 64.
Green Jack,,,7a,,,, 64,

Is this what your enquiry is about.?

In later year GRO indexing it shows the surname of the spouse,

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Nov 2019 22:20

If you aren’t sure who married who then if it’s before 1911 then look on the next census to see who is the spouse of the male

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 13 Nov 2019 23:36

You can order a marriage certificate just giving one name and the reference numbers for that person if you are not sure of who they married.

Kath. x

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Nov 2019 00:50

In fact it is often best to use only one of the names when ordering ............

and do remember that the names and all other information has to be EXACTLY the same as GRO has in their Register.

If you cite both names and one is spelled incorrectly even though it is the correct certificate, GRO will not send it.

June

June Report 14 Nov 2019 06:49

Thanks for all the inputs.
This is my problem, I have the marriage certificate of Benjamin Davies & Elizabeth
Jones dated 23/12/1858 Ref Cardigan11b 13 and they are on the 1871 census with their children Mary 9, Ester 8 & Owen 6 and I know these are my relatives. However Benjamin was a widower and I am trying to find info on his 1st Marriage.

On the previous 1861 census I again have Benjamin Davies & Elizabeth Jones with 3 children John 9, David 8 & Joshua 5. These are all older than their marriage so assume they came from Benjamin's previous marriage.

Now this is where the problem is, I have a marriage record of a Benjamin Davies getting married to Jane Thomas nee Evans 12/9/1850 and she was a widower and also have their individual records but they do not match. Benjamin's ref. is 27 49 17 whilst Jane is 27 49 2 . She also had at least one son called Joshua which ties up with one of the above children Slight deviation Benjamin had changed from a coal miner to a labourer. So this is where I am presently stuck.

June

June Report 14 Nov 2019 06:54

Forgot to mention most revolve around Cardiganshire Wales. Mainly Cardigan &,Llandygwydd.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Nov 2019 07:03

Have you tried looking on the gro site for births of the children. This would give mmn

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Nov 2019 07:08

This seems to be the baptism of one of the children

John Davies
Baptism Date: 5 Sep 1852
Baptism Place: Llangorwen,Cardigan,Wales
Father: John Davies
Mother: Elizabeth
FHL Film Number: 105173

Maybe it’s a different family

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Nov 2019 07:09

And ?

David Davies
Registration Year: 1853
Registration Quarter: Jan-Feb-Mar
Registration district: Cardigan
Parishes for this Registration District: View Ecclesiastical Parishes associated with this Registration District
Inferred County: Cardiganshire
Volume: 11b
Page: 2

DAVIES, DAVID DAVIES
GRO Reference: 1853 M Quarter in CARDIGAN Volume 11B Page 15

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 14 Nov 2019 07:17

Below looks to relate here...

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1380295

Chris :)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 Nov 2019 08:17

There is another thread about this family in addition to the one highlighted by Chris

Kay????

Kay???? Report 14 Nov 2019 09:36

Marriages Sep 1850 (>99%)

Davies
Benjamin

Cardigan

THOMAS
Jane

Cardigan

They both seem to carry the same index as per----freebdm.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 14 Nov 2019 09:56

The son Joshua who is aged 5 in the 1861 census seems to have the mother's maiden name Evans, so the above marriage mentioned by Kay would seem to fit.

On the marriage to Elizabeth Jones in 1858, does Benjamin name his father? If so you could ring the GRO and say that you would like the marriage certificate to Jane Thomas but only if the father's name is correct.

Kath. x

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 14 Nov 2019 10:13

(yes, Father was John Davies, Shoemaker. Both Marriage details posted on other 'Thread' link above)

Chris :)

Kay????

Kay???? Report 14 Nov 2019 11:19

Marriages Sep 1850

This is how it is written in the GRO original indexes ,then it Roman numerals was used,

Davies
Benjamin
Cardigan
XXVII

Davies
Benjamin
Cardigan
XXVII

Rambling

Rambling Report 14 Nov 2019 12:02

For ref those helping the image for 1858 marriage is on FMP as mentioned on other thread

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBPRS/M/876010165/1

Rambling

Rambling Report 14 Nov 2019 12:10

1850, father shoemaker as previously Benjamin's signature looks to be the same (slanted)

Benjamin
Last name Davies
Age Full
Birth year -
Event year 1850
Banns year -
Marriage year 1850
Marriage date 12 Sep 1850
Marriage place Llandygwydd
Father's first name(s) John
Father's last name Davies
Spouse's first name(s) Jane
Spouse's last name Thomas
Spouse's age Full
Spouse's birth year -
Spouse's father's last name Evans
Spouse's father's first name(s) David
County Cardiganshire
Country Wales
Event Marriage
Page 43

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBPRS/M/876013070/1

I notice that the marriage image below it is for one Owen Jones, ( father or brother of Elizabeth) who is a witness on the second marriage for Benjamin.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 Nov 2019 13:51

The other thread, to which I made reference

Couldn't C&P before..................

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1380265