Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

James roe

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley

Shirley Report 8 Aug 2022 20:13

hi
trying again to find the death or abscond of James roe. He married Rebecca fewson barker in 1872 in Northampton. Hardingstone. They had a son Thomas Edward in 1873. the next time she appears is in Burnley in 1882 ish marrying Charles pickles. I can't find a death for James roe. Rebecca was born in 1850 in Hull daughter of Edward salter barker and miriam. She lived with her grandparents John and Rachel nee and fewson on the 1861 census in Hull. Then I'm presuming she went to live with her parents again at some point who were living in Northampton still in 1871. I just can't find a death for her first husband James roe. Some trees have confused the issue by presuming James and Rebecca roe still lived together in the 1881 census in either Lincoln or Sheffield but these are not my James and Rebecca. We'll definately not my Rebecca at least, who was on the 1881 census with Charles pickles in Burnley. I doubt she was able to travel between both Lincoln or Sheffield and burnley thst easily so doubt she had a bigamous marriage but I guess you never know.
the answer would be to find a death for James roe in 1872 until 1881. or if he went abroad or died in a war?
can anyone help pkease :-D

greyghost

greyghost Report 8 Aug 2022 20:26

For our info

1871 England, Wales & Scotland Census
Althorp Street, Hardingstone, Northamptonshire, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Bi, rth year Occupation Birth place
Edward Salter Barker Head - Male 43 1828 - Hull, Yorkshire, England
Miriam Barker Wife - Female 47 1824 - hull, Yorkshire, England
Rebecca Lewson Barker Daughter - Female 20 1851 - Hull, Yorkshire, England
Hannah Mary Barker Daughter - Female 10 1861 - Northampton
Frederick Mottemole Adopted child - Male 4 1867 - London, Middlesex, England

Edward's occupation looks like Oilcake ...... (Presser) !!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Aug 2022 20:27

Did she marry Charles Pickles ?
If so what did she give as her marital status

Shirley

Shirley Report 8 Aug 2022 20:34

thanks guys. Yes. that's them. I think I found the answer. Does anyone have access to newspapers on here? In September 1880 in Duston Northampton James roe had a fatal accident. It says Rebecca roe his wife. Then I looked on deaths again and found in 1880 September quarter a James Rowe aged 36 dying. So probably him Can anyone access the inquest details to see how he died? I'm happy now it was not an abscond or bigamous marriage ?? :-)

greyghost

greyghost Report 8 Aug 2022 20:35

When and where was James Roe born?

The 1881 census you mention - again for our info

1881 England, Wales & Scotland Census
37, Curzon Street, Burnley, Lancashire, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Elizabeth Robertshaw Head Widow Female 68 1813 Hairdresser lodging housekeeper Burnley, Lancashire, England
Joshua Knowles Boarder Single Male 38 1843 Cotton weaver Burnley, Lancashire, England
William Fielden Boarder Single Male 35 1846 Coal miner Burnley, Lancashire, England
James Gorden Boarder Single Male 51 1830 Cotton weaver Ribchester, Lancashire, England
Moses Taylor Boarder Single Male 34 1847 Iron moulder Burnley, Lancashire, England
Emma Harwood Boarder Single Female 35 1846 Cotton weaver Bristol, Gloucestershire, England
Charles Pickles Boarder Single Male 28 1853 Cotton weaver Todmorden, Yorkshire, England
Rebecca Pickles Boarder Married Female 30 1851 Charwoman Hull, Yorkshire, England
Thomas Roe Boarder Single Male 8 1873 Scholar Northampton, Northamptonshire, England
Pauline C Robertshaw Grand daughter Single Female 9 1872 Scholar Todmorden, Yorkshire, England
Robert Hargreaves Boarder Single Male 21 1860 Butcher Padiham, Lancashire, England
John Eastham Boarder Single Male 47 1834 Cotton weaver Whalley, Lancashire, England

Odd that Charles is stated to be unmarried - presume a mistake as they married Q1

Shirley

Shirley Report 8 Aug 2022 20:36

apparently the oil cake presser is making linseed cake for animal food I yhink. Edward salter barker moved about a lot and died in Hackney London. I was wondering if he was named Edward salter barker after the artist or maybe the politician. I'll never know :-S

Shirley

Shirley Report 8 Aug 2022 20:38

yes the 1881 census details are correct. Charles married Rebecca in 1881.Thomas Edward was born to James roe and Rebecca in 1873 :-)

greyghost

greyghost Report 8 Aug 2022 20:39

When and where was James Roe born - do you have him in a census pre marriage to Rebecca. Might help locate him

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Aug 2022 20:39

Sons marriage

Name: Thomas Edward Roe
Birth Year: abt 1872
Event Type: Marriage
Event Date: 7 Oct 1893
Parish: Gannow, St John, Lancashire, England
Search Photos: Search for 'Gannow, St John' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection
Spouse: Susannah Hargreaves
Spouse Age: 20
Father: James Roe labourer deceased !
Spouse Father: Richard Hargreaves
Register Type: Parish Register

Shirley

Shirley Report 8 Aug 2022 20:40

ah yes didn't spot thst. Charles and Rebecca married in 1881 or 1882. but I belueve she was seemingly calling herself pickles by then in the lodging house. Probably to mske it look seemly as a widow perhaps?

Shirley

Shirley Report 8 Aug 2022 20:45

I do think Thomas roe is definately Thomas Edward roe born in 1873 in Northampton. I know its not 100 and one shoukdnt assume in family history . From the wedding and ages etc it seems correct. I can't think of another option just as yet. I have no idea how old James roe or rowe is, only thst it says 36 in the death and newspaper reported inquest. But on the census she is down as 30 in 1881 with Charles. Big difference six years. Unless she lied about her age which has been known.

greyghost

greyghost Report 8 Aug 2022 20:51

Article downloaded and sent as a PM - look out in your in box

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Aug 2022 20:51

First name(s) James
Publication place Northampton, Northamptonshire, England
Last name Roe
Other names W. Tomalin, Rebecca Roe, A. H. Jones, E. S. Sanders
Periodical Northampton Mercury
Record set People In The News
Location Northampton, Northamptonshire, England
Category Directories & social history
Publication date 18 September 1880
Subcategory Newspapers & Magazines
Page number 9
Collections from Great Britain, Ireland, England

He was working in the ironstone works and got onto one of the wagons which was going to the works and was on a downward incline
He was standing on the buffers and it was the custom to steady the wagons before it they went into ab archway

James stood up but slipped off an the wagon went over his legs cutting off one of them and giving fractures to the other leg
He died 20 minutes after admission to hospital

Shirley

Shirley Report 8 Aug 2022 20:56

Rebecca, died in Burnley in 1927. And it states she was 78years so that makes her born approx 1851. I yhink she is the Rebecca tewson barker born in sculcoates in 1850.
maybe she pretended to be older to marry James roe and he was older than her perhaos?
I need to get the marriage certificate really for both marriages. especially the Charles pickles wedding at St John's gannow and which is my local church. Or was, it's gone now. But it's on lancs online parish clerks. :-)

greyghost

greyghost Report 8 Aug 2022 20:56

Article says 36 years old so b c 1844. also says had been working at Duston for c 12 years, so this may well be him.

Run over by trucks carrying Ironstone

Marriage cert. should confirm Father's name and occupations of him and Father

1871 England, Wales & Scotland Census
Main Street, Duston, Northampton, Northamptonshire, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Thomas Roe Head - Male 56 1815 - Leicestershire, England
Mary Ann Roe Wife - Female 44 1827 - Northamptonshire, England
James Roe Son - Male 24 1847 - Duston, Northamptonshire, England
William Roe Son - Male 10 1861 - Northamptonshire, England

Thomas an Ag. Lab and James an Ironstone Labourer

Kay????

Kay???? Report 8 Aug 2022 21:02

An Inquest on James Roe, labourer, who was killed at Duston, on Saturday, was held by the deputy-coroner, W. Tomalin. Esq., the Infirmary the same day. The deceased was the husband of Rebeoca Roe, aged 36 years, and lived Old
18 September 1880 - Northampton Mercury - Northampton, Northamptonsh,

Inquest report of James Death- ----

ViewNorthamptonshire, England, Church of England Burials, 1813-1912

View Map
Add or update information
Report a problem
Name: James Roe
Birth Year: abt 1843
Burial Date: 14 Sep 1880
Burial Place: Duston, Northamptonshire, England
Parish as it Appears: Duston
Register Type: Parish Registers
Search Photos: Search for 'Duston' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection

greyghost

greyghost Report 9 Aug 2022 11:38

If correct Roe family in 1871 -

1861 England, Wales & Scotland Census
Cottage, Duston Village, Duston, Northampton, Northamptonshire, England

Thomas Roe Head Married Male 45 1816 Agricultural labourer Leicester, Leicestershire, England
Mary Ann Roe Wife Married Female 34 1827 - Harpole, Northamptonshire, England
James Roe Son - Male 15 1846 Agricultural labourer Duston, Northamptonshire, England
Mary Roe Daughter - Female 9 1852 Scholar Duston, Northamptonshire, England
William Roe Son - Male 0 1861 - Duston, Northamptonshire, England (4 months)

Name: Mother's Maiden Surname:
ROE, JAMES SMITH
GRO Reference: 1846 S Quarter in NORTHAMPTON UNION Volume 15 Page 291

ROE, MARY SMITH
GRO Reference: 1850 J Quarter in NORTHAMPTON UNION Volume 15 Page 331

greyghost

greyghost Report 9 Aug 2022 11:49

Thomas Row
in the Northamptonshire, England, Church of England Marriages, 1754-1912

Name: Thomas Row
Event Type: Marriage
Marriage Date: 1 Oct 1840
Marriage Place: Duston, Northamptonshire, England
Register Type: Bishops Transcripts
Parish as it Appears: Duston
Search Photos: Search for 'Duston' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection
Phillimore Ecclesiastical Parish Map:
View this parish
Father: William Row
Spouse: Ann Smith

Extra, from original - Ann's Father's John Smith a Weaver
Both of Duston
Both said to be of full age
Witnesses - William Smith and ?.... Smith

-----------
Ages in 1861/1871 census can't be right for (Mary) Ann if she was if full age in 1840

greyghost

greyghost Report 9 Aug 2022 11:50

More like an age for Ann

1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census
Village of Duston, Duston, Northampton, Northamptonshire, England

Thomas Roe Head Married Male 35 1816 Ag lab Leicestershire, England
Ann Roe Wife Married Female 35 1816 - Duston, Northamptonshire, England
James Roe Son - Male 4 1847 Scholar Duston, Northamptonshire, England
Mary Roe Daughter - Female 0 1851 - Duston, Northamptonshire, England

greyghost

greyghost Report 9 Aug 2022 11:56

Fairly newly married, living with her parents

1841 England, Wales & Scotland Census
Duston, Northampton, Northamptonshire, England

First name(s) Last name Sex Age Birth year Birth place
John Smith Male 60 1781 Northamptonshire, England Weaver
Sarah Smith Female 45 1796 Northamptonshire, England
William Smith Male 25 1816 Northamptonshire, England Ag. Lab
John Smith Male 22 1819 Northamptonshire, England Ag. Lab
Charles Smith Male 20 1821 Northamptonshire, England Ag. Lab
Sophia Smith Female 16 1825 Northamptonshire, England
James Smith Male 15 1826 Northamptonshire, England Tanner's App. ?
Mary Smith Female 14 1827 Northamptonshire, England
George Smith Male 13 1828 Northamptonshire, England
Thomas Roe Male 25 1816 -
Ann Roe Female 25 1816 Northamptonshire, England
Sarah Roe Female 0 1841 Northamptonshire, England