Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding a Death in another country

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nadia

Nadia Report 12 Dec 2018 19:56

You may be able to suggest where I start looking for this person's death.
Tree I am doing for a friend. I could not find her grandmother's death record
Edith Mary Warner born 8 April 1909
Married 1931 to Cecil Henry Wood.
By 1939 he is on his own and she is nowhere to be found

Ediths eldest daughter Isabel M Warner was born in 1930 - I do not know if she was Cecil's daughter but she married Aylwin C Quintin in Paddington in 1955 and moved out to the West Indies.

I found that one of Ediths boys was in a school in Hitchin in 1939 Brian Patch. I also know that my friends mum was in a school run by Nun's.

My friend has just told me her nan was murdered in another country !

She doesn't know where or when or how. I've asked her if she thought she may have gone to West Indies to visit her eldest daughter but she's not sure.

I'm not sure where to start looking do any of you have any ideas ?

malyon

malyon Report 12 Dec 2018 21:00

where was cecil in 1939

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 12 Dec 2018 21:10

If she died abroad, her entry on the 1939 may still be closed. Technically it should be open but sometime the open / closed records are inaccurate.

malyon

malyon Report 12 Dec 2018 21:15

Results:
Name: Mother's Maiden Surname: Order:
WARNER, EDITH MARY EDWARDS Order
GRO Reference: 1909 J Quarter in ROYSTON Volume 03A Page 786

Nadia

Nadia Report 12 Dec 2018 21:39

Cecil was on his own in Royston in 1939 on his farm. The entries either side of him are other families. One of his boys is in Hitchin at school.

Married I have the certificate 30 May 1931 parish church of Royston.

Ediths birth certificate I have to mother Elizabeth Warner formerly Edwards 8 April 1909

Apparently the daughter Isabel lived in Boney Lane Tunapuna Port of Spain (Trinidad and Tobago)

I've searched and searched I don't know where to look anymore. Full membership on Ancestry Genes Reunited and Find My Past

Nadia

Nadia Report 12 Dec 2018 21:48

It's really not making a lot of sense to me.
If I can't find Edith in 1939 even after cross referencing loads of possible marriages too.
She wasn't living with her kids anywhere because they were all in school.
I've even looked to see if she was living with any of her brothers or sisters in 1939

However if she did go to Trinidad it would not have been until after 1955 because that was the year Isabel married.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 12 Dec 2018 22:23

I tried looking on the 1939 register using her DOB and no surname but no sign of her. That was why I was thinking that her record was still closed.

If she emigrated after 1955 we probably won't find any travel records for her.

Nadia

Nadia Report 12 Dec 2018 22:57

Oh yes I've done all that too removing names and so on and just adding dob on the 1939 register and also on the death records.

I was also thinking if she went out after 1955 I wouldn't find anything.

I have searched electoral rolls London and Bedfordshire. Some parts of her family moved to Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Northamptonshire.

I've absolutely wracked my brain for stuff !

I suppose there will always be one elusive family member. The truth will come out one day !

Thanks for your help. Nadia

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 13 Dec 2018 01:15

Are there family photos of the 1955 wedding which show whether or not Edith was there?

Could Edith perhaps be in a hospital in 1939, maybe a mental hospital, after the children's births and a story woven to explain her absence, at a time when depression / post natal stress was little understood.?

When is she last KNOWN to be at the family home?

Have you looked for her remarrying, either as WARNER or WOOD?

Have you eliminated this death on freebmd

Deaths Sep 1974
WOOD EDITH MARY abt.1909 NEWPORT 28 323

or one in Biggleswade district in 1952?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Dec 2018 02:21

My brother lived and died in Spain
He is still a closed record on the 1939 register because no death will be picked up from the uk records

He died 2001 and our sister in 2002 . She is an open record because she died in the uk

I can't get a copy of brothers death cert as it wasnt reg at the British consulate

He is buried in spain

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 13 Dec 2018 06:06

Worth noting that Isabel used Woods when she married and was the maiden name listed when she had her first child.

Births Dec 1955
QUINTIN Artie B WOODS Kensington 5c 1400

Deaths Dec 1956
Quintin Artie B 1 Willesden 5f 244

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 13 Dec 2018 06:10

Still in the UK in 1965 and using Warner as a maiden name:

Births Sep 1965
QUINTIN CARLOS A WARNER PADDINGTON 5D 1034

Deaths Sep 1965
QUINTIN CARLOS A 0 PADDINGTON 5D 441

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 13 Dec 2018 06:32

Where and what years were Edith's children born?

Rose

Nadia

Nadia Report 13 Dec 2018 12:51

Right thank you been looking at all this again.

I'm curious about the Biggleswade death record and have been looking to see if I could rule that out anywhere. I'm sure I did look at it before but so many Ediths and possibilities ! So I will keep searching until I talk myself into ordering the death certificate !

Isabel - my friend just told me she had a cousin called Carmen ! I already asked her if Isabel had any children ! I found them in Bedfordshire in 1969. I also found another marriage record for Isabel - Aldwin Quintin that lead me to find him incoming in 1955 from Port of Spain Trinidad age 22.

Still no idea when the family left the UK but Edith is not with them on any of the electoral rolls from London or Bedfordshire.

This with Edith is probably right in front of me, everyone I ask my friend something she comes out with yes that's right. Then I think why did you not tell me this before aaagggghhh !

As for mental hospital for Edith I had considered that and had searched with Edith M and dob and taken out all family members on the 1939 census but nothing showed. I will have another go on that.

Stanley Wood born 1934 Hitchin mother Warner
Stanley Woods 1939 Brian Patch other entries below that are closed but dob is 23 Feb 1934
Stanley Woods death record Cirencester Gloucestershire dob 23 Feb 1934 died 1998
But now I'm not sure if Stanley Wood and Stanley Woods are the same person.

So if that is wrong where are Stanley and Donald in 1939 they may be still alive somewhere.

Need a break to clear my head !

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 13 Dec 2018 16:06

When was Donald born? Not seeing his birth

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Dec 2018 16:26

This may be the 1939 record for the woman who died in Biggleswade.

I can't tell from your posts whether you had considered this one or not, so will post it just in case. She was a patient in the hospital:

Edith M Wood
in the 1939 England and Wales Register
Name: Edith M Wood
Marital Status: Married
Birth Date: 1909
Residence Year: 1939
Address: Three Counties Hospital, Arlesey
Residence Place: Biggleswade, Bedfordshire, England
Schedule Number: 1
Sub Schedule Number: 1115
OVSPI: Patient
Enumeration District: DQHE

Nadia

Nadia Report 13 Dec 2018 16:56

Yes I've been looking at that 1939 in Biggleswade. I see the others on there Lilian Wood and Eunice Warner but I've looked them up and they don't appear to be any relation to her.

I think that combined with the Biggleswade death gives me enough reason to order the death certificate now. A lot of her brothers and sisters were in Bedfordshire. Biggleswade is a stone's throw from Royston really.

Donald I have him as Warner

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Dec 2018 17:02

So was Donald born 1931 in Battersea, middle initial V ?

Or 1935 in Stepney?

Presumably the Battersea birth, as Edith married Mr Wood in 1931.

EDIT:
No, not the Battersea birth.

Here's Donald V with parents in 1939:

Donald V Warner
in the 1939 England and Wales Register
Name: Donald V Warner
Marital Status: Single
Birth Date: 20 Aug 1931
Residence Year: 1939
Address: 233
Residence Place: Wandsworth, London, England
Schedule Number: 93
Sub Schedule Number: 3
Enumeration District: AXXM
Registration district: 24-5
Household Members:
Name
Bertram O Warner
Rose Warner
Donald V Warner

Nadia

Nadia Report 13 Dec 2018 17:32

Yes the Stepney one I have.

Apparently Donald used to live in a mobile home on Gammons Lane in Watford. He then moved into a house and had a landlady. He was a park keeper.

She does not know where he is now or if he is still alive.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Dec 2018 18:04

How long ago was that, Nadia?