Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mary Lynn nee White ' Not answered'

Page 0 + 1 of 8

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Deborah

Deborah Report 1 Feb 2018 14:55

Hi, I am trying without success to trace my Great Grandmother. She was Mary White. She married my great grandfather on 29th March 1897, his name was William Lester Lynn. Her fathers name was James White.They were married at Albertbridge Road Congregational Church, Ballymacarrett, Down, Belfast.

As far as we know there was only one child, John Campbell Lester Lynn (my Grandfather) and she was at his wedding on 5th October 1929, in Fulham.

She died in the last quarter of 1958 at a residential nursing home in Hampton Court. I assume she was buried very near by. I emailed the nursing home that I think it was but they did not reply.

We ' believe' that her best friend was Lady Guiness, and that it was the Brewery who paid for her nursing home fees.

During the 1950's she lived at 54/56 Seaford Road, West Ealing, London. W5. Where she was housekeeper. I have found that information on the electoral roll, but I also know it for fact as my father used to go there to visit. This would have been from 1949 and her death in 1958.

The 1911 census for Ireland shows a Mary Lynn living at 7 Curran Street, Larne, Antrim, with what definatly seems to be her husband and in laws.

I have two problems, I cannott find any record of her birth, I dont even know the name of her mother, my Dad seems to think she was also known as Mary moore White Lynn, so it maybe that Moore was her Mothers maiden name and;

I cannot find any trace of her between 1911 and the 1940's apart from when she popped up at my grandparents wedding in 1929.

My cousin and myself have spent many days over the past months trying to find the missing pieces, but we really do not know where to go from here.

Dont know if you can help, or give some pointers as to where to go next,

Thank you,
Deborah.

greyghost

greyghost Report 1 Feb 2018 15:54

For an idea of ages - 1901 census
(this would appear to be the census you indicate was 1911 in your OP)

Residents of a house 7 in Curran Street (Larne, Antrim)

Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses
Lynn Mary 21 Female Daughter in Law Presbyterian Antrim - Read and write - Married -
Lynn John J 1 Male Grand Son Presbyterian Antrim - - - Not Married -
Lynn John 56 Male Head of Family Presbyterian Antrim Master Painter Read and write Married -
Campbell Mary 35 Female Sister in Law Presbyterian Antrim Seamstress Read and write Not Married
Lynn William 31 Male Son Presbyterian Antrim Painter Read and write - Married -
Lynn Margrate 55 Female Wife Presbyterian Antrim Housekeeper Read and write - Married -

greyghost

greyghost Report 1 Feb 2018 15:58

Probable birth of son

Name JOHN LYNN
Date of Birth 03 January 1900
Group Registration ID 83720
SR District/Reg Area Larne
Sex Male
Mother's Birth Surname WHITE
Image(s) 1 2

From image - John Campbell Lester Lynn b 3 January, Barnhill, Larne. Son of William Lester Lynn, Barnhill and Mary Moore Lynn formerly White. Father William L Lynn a House painter, registered the birth

greyghost

greyghost Report 1 Feb 2018 16:08

1911 - this looks to be the family. Although William Lynn says he's married, Mary is not in the household at the time.

It seems that William and Mary had had 3 children but 2 had died.

Residents of a house 7 in Coopers Lane (Larne, Antrim)

Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses Years Married Children Born Children Living
Campbell Mary 55 Female Head of Family Roman Catholic Antrim - Read and write - Married - 35 5 5
Campbell Patrick 22 Male Son Roman Catholic Antrim General Labourer Read and write - Single - - - -
Lynn William 42 Male Boarder Presbyterian Antrim Painter Read and write - Married - 12 3 1
Lynn John 11 Male Boarder Presbyterian Antrim School Read and write -

greyghost

greyghost Report 1 Feb 2018 16:28

The 1901 census shows her as aged 21 so b 1879/80. (age as given by her at the time)

If this is her death then it shows her as born 1876/77 (age will be as known to informant)

England & Wales deaths 1837-2007 Transcription

First name(s) MARY
Last name LYNN
Gender Female
Birth day -
Birth month -
Birth year 1877
Age 81
Death quarter 4
Death year 1958
District Middlesex South
County Middlesex
Volume 5F
Page 3
Country England

Deborah

Deborah Report 1 Feb 2018 16:31

Thank you, that is very sad, it means my Grandfather had 2 siblings who both died. Grandfather was born in 1900, I know he left home at about 14, joined the Home Guards then went into the Merchant Navy, we know he lied about his age, this is also the time when his Mother disappeared. Maybe it was all too much for them all.

The information is very helpful indeed, do you have any suggestions as to how I can find where Mary Lynn then went, iuts like looking for a needle in a haystack, but at least I now know possibly why it happened.

It would be helpful to find a copy of her birth certificate, but thats another needle in a haystack.

Deborah

Deborah Report 1 Feb 2018 16:35

That looks like its her, she died in Hampton Court, which did come under the County of Middlesex at that time.

greyghost

greyghost Report 1 Feb 2018 16:44

What is the occupation given for her Father James on the marriage certificate and what were the names of any witnesses and also the addresses at time of marriage

Deborah

Deborah Report 1 Feb 2018 16:51

Father James White- Labourer

Very difficult to read names of witnesses looks like;

Something (could be Sam) P Adai

Lizzie Something (could be Maedy)

really very hard to read

Deborah

Deborah Report 1 Feb 2018 16:53

There is an address for James White 21 Dock something-looks like Street. Marriage was in Belfast

Deborah

Deborah Report 1 Feb 2018 16:58

Address for William Lester Lynn just says Larne

greyghost

greyghost Report 1 Feb 2018 17:03

I wonder if this is one of the children who died
https://www.familysearch.org

William Lester Lynn
Ireland Civil Registration Indexes

Name William Lester Lynn
Event Type Death
Event Date Oct - Dec 1909
Event Place Belfast, Ireland
Registration Quarter and Year Oct - Dec 1909
Registration District Belfast
Age 0
Birth Year (Estimated) 1909
Volume Number 1

Yes - https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie

Died 24 November 1909 aged 9 months @ 38 Malvern Street
Father William Lester Lynn Housepainter
Cause - Zymotic Enteritis for 14 days and Convulsions
Registered by Mary Lynn, Mother on same day as death. She was present at the death

greyghost

greyghost Report 1 Feb 2018 17:07

Working backwards from death to the birth of William Lester Lynn.

Born 5 February at the Maternity Hospital.
Father - William Lester Lynn of 75 North Queen Street a Painter
Mother - Mary Lynn formerly White
Registered by (?J or I) H Kelly, Occupier of Maternity Hospital

Name WILLIAM LYNN
Date of Birth 05 February 1909
Group Registration ID 601557
SR District/Reg Area Belfast
Sex Male
Mother's Birth Surname WHITE

alviegal

alviegal Report 1 Feb 2018 17:08

Do you have this for your grandfather? Sorry I know it's not what you're asking for.

1939 Register Transcription

Lynn Household (4 People) 21 Homefarm Road , Ealing M.B., Middlesex, England

First name(s) Last name(s) DOB Sex Occupation Marital status Schedule Schedule Sub Number
John C L Lynn 03 Jan 1900 Male Stoker At Hospital Married 140 1
May Lynn 02 May 1908 Female Paper Tubes Assembler Married 140 2
Doreen P Crosby (Lynn) 27 Oct 1930 Female At School Single 140 3
Sorry, this record is officially closed. Check if you can open a closed record.

Deborah

Deborah Report 1 Feb 2018 17:11

Oh dear, yes, I think it is, William Lester Lynn was my Great Grandfather and he was a house painter.

Very sad, but I feel we are at last getting some answers.

None of this was ever spoken about, even my Dad doesnt know this. I still have both my parents, they are in their mid eighties, my Dad is desperate to know about his family, his mother forbid any of us to research the family. She died 10 years ago.

Deborah

Deborah Report 1 Feb 2018 17:15

Them, May Lynn was my grandmother, they lived at 21 homefarm road,, doreen is my dads sister, she passed 2 years ago.

alviegal

alviegal Report 1 Feb 2018 17:25

Name: Mary Lynn
Year: 1946
County or Borough: Ealing
Ward or Division/Constituency: Ealing South West
Street address: 56 Seward Road (should be Seaford Rd)
Reference Number: MR/PER/C/0710

Deborah

Deborah Report 1 Feb 2018 17:27

On the 1939 register the third person would be my dad, brian lynn 17/8/32

Deborah

Deborah Report 1 Feb 2018 17:27

Sorry 4th person

Deborah

Deborah Report 1 Feb 2018 17:29

Thats my great grandmother. My dad used to visit her at Seaford road, she was housekeeper there. The went into a nursing home from there in Hampton Court, not sure what year but she died there.