Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mary Costello

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Midlands

Midlands Report 18 Sep 2017 16:05

See my threads on James Holmes and Harriet Cotton ! How can I find a Birth in Ireland c1814 for Mary Costello ? her Maiden name don't know where she was from in Ireland I have all information from her Marriage in 1835 to a James Holmes

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Sep 2017 16:10

You would be best adding this to the existing thread otherwise people will spend time looking for info you already have

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 Sep 2017 16:14

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1363745

Other threads have apparently been deleted.

Paul, Unless you know where in Ireland she was born you have no chance really, is her county of birth on any of the later census?

http://registers.nli.ie/
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 Sep 2017 16:34

1861 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
37, Russell Street, Longton, Stoke-Upon-Trent, Staffordshire, England

Joseph Emery Head Married Male 44 1817 Coal Miner Longton, Staffordshire, England Transcription
Mary Emery Wife Married Female 50 1811 - Ireland
Joseph Emery Son Unmarried Male 15 1846 Potter Longton, Staffordshire, England
Mary Ann Emery Daughter Unmarried Female 13 1848 Potter Longton, Staffordshire, England
William Emery Son Unmarried Male 10 1851 Potter Longton, Staffordshire, England
Thomas Emery Son - Male 6 1855 - Longton, Staffordshire, England

The children do not appear to have MMN Costello though?? edit, maybe Mary Ann? Staffordshire Birth indexes for the years: 1848

COSTELLO Mary Ann COSTELLO Longton Stoke-On-Trent LGN/013/013

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 Sep 2017 16:46

I know this is repeating what you have but I am just looking for a clue to birthplace?

1871 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Russell Street, Stoke upon Trent, Staffordshire, England

Joseph Emery Head - Male 54 1817 - Staffordshire, England
Mary Holmes Living As Wife - Female 62 1809 - Ireland
Mary Ann Holmes Daughter - Female 23 1848 - Staffordshire, England Transcription
William Holmes Son - Male 20 1851 - Staffordshire, England
Thomas Holmes Son - Male 18 1853 - Staffordshire, England
James Holmes Son - Male 2 1869 - Staffordshire, England

1881 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
37, Russell Street, Stoke upon Trent, Staffordshire, England

Joseph Emery Head Married Male 67 1814 Coal Miner (Unemployed) Longton, Staffordshire, England
Mary Holmes Housekeeper Single Female 70 1811 Housekeeper (Dom) (Servant) Longton, Staffordshire, England
James Holmes Nephew Single Male 12 1869 Scholar Longton, Staffordshire, England
Alice Holmes Grand Daughter Single Female 6 1875 Scholar Longton, Staffordshire, England
Wilfred Holmes Grand Son Single Male 4 1877 - Longton, Staffordshire, England

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 Sep 2017 16:56

It doesn't look as though the maiden name was given on the birth certs ( looking at GRO) .

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 Sep 2017 17:08

for example of how impossible it will be, just in Co Kerry ( from the Irishie site) the following options

Baptism of MARY CUSTOLOE of WOODFORD
on 4 March 1809

Baptism of MARY COSTELLO of TRALEE
on 5 December 1809

Baptism of MARY COSTELLO of LAHARN
on 28 January 1813

Baptism of MARY CUSTOLLOE of NR
on 4 March 1813

Baptism of MARY COSTELLO of NR
on 4 April 1812

Baptism of MARY CUSTELLO of KEULUD
on 20 April 1812

Midlands

Midlands Report 18 Sep 2017 22:55

Costelow

greyghost

greyghost Report 19 Sep 2017 08:19

Paul, I really don't think you can be so adamant about the spelling of her surname. She made her mark at the marriage 1835 (noted on other thread), so was almost certainly illiterate. Whoever wrote down the name would have done so as they heard it and may well have been incorrect - she certainly wouldn't know one way or the other.

I think we all have examples in our trees where the same persons name is written/spelt differently. Any or none of the spellings for the baptisms Nyx has posted above could be correct. You have to be prepared to "look outside the box" and sometimes realise that it may not be possible to confirm an earlier generation. My own family surname has been spelt more than a dozen different ways down the generations and I can't imagine that anyone who heard it, even today, would write it down spelt correctly.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 19 Sep 2017 08:48

Paul.....I personally have never seen Costelow spelt in that way....greyghost is totally correct...
.Costello or Costelloe is the usual although the former is most common.
You have details from her Marriage...do you want to share...?

Midlands

Midlands Report 19 Sep 2017 08:53

I have the parish records for the marriage in august 24th 1835 between Mary Costello and James Holmes both sign with X

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 19 Sep 2017 08:53

http://members.pcug.org.au/~ppmay/cgi-bin/irish/irish.cgi?requestType=Search&ship=Henry%20Porcher%20(2)%20[1835]

(above were also about, Staffs. in case they related)

Mary looks to have an S at end of her signature 1835, don't rule out spelling variants Costelloes either, as comes up also in newspaper item 1834, referring to above convicts, 'Lane End, Costelloes', and another article relating mentions a Catherine Costelow and James Carrick for aiding and assisting)

Chris :)

Edits (below from google search on Lane End, not familiar with area myself!)

http://www.thepotteries.org/location/districts/lane_end.htm

http://www.thepotteries.org/did_you/009.htm

Midlands

Midlands Report 29 Aug 2020 13:26

Can anyone help with this ?I've traced Mary Costello to Castlereagh or Kilkeevin co Roscommon Ireland they gave me c 1805 to 1813 for her Birth I have her Death at 1897 in Stoke on Trent Staffordshire Penkhill workhouse Hospital I've fully researched this family over several yrs just need Baptism for Mary on her marriage cert she's Maria that was 1835 don't know who her parents were so it's proving difficult Thanks Paul Markham

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Aug 2020 13:29

What was her age at death?

Midlands

Midlands Report 29 Aug 2020 13:30

On her Death cert it's 83 it's Birth I'm unsure of as age on death cert may be inaccurate later information I found out incorrect age on cert she was born 1808 so in 1897 she was 89

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Aug 2020 13:40

Is the age at death consistent with censuses?

You may have to accept that the info simply isn't availalble - vast amounts of Irish records were destroyed at various times

Where did she marry?

Midlands

Midlands Report 29 Aug 2020 13:45

No age varies on census I've got varying ages from 1808 to 1814 she married in Stoke on Trent in 1835 Married a James Holmes

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Aug 2020 14:30

This must have been posted on one of your deleted threads.............FMP shows I've accessed it before

First name(s) Mary
Last name Holmes
Relationship Inmate
Marital status Widow
Sex Female
Age 85
Birth year 1806
Birth town -
Birth town as transcribed CASTLE REAGH***********************************
Birth county Roscommon
Birth county as transcribed ROSCOMMON
Birth place Ireland
Occupation Potters Lathe Treader

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Aug 2020 14:33

Joseph Emery Head - Male 54 1817 - Staffordshire, England
Mary Holmes Living As Wife - Female 62 1809 - Ireland
Mary Ann Holmes Daughter - Female 23 1848 - Staffordshire, England
William Holmes Son - Male 20 1851 - Staffordshire, England
Thomas Holmes Son - Male 18 1853 - Staffordshire, England
James Holmes Son - Male 2 1869 - Staffordshire, England

A shame they didn't marry - might have got a father's name - if she knew it, of course.

Some imaginative recording on the census - James certainly couldn't have been her son.. Most likely Mary Ann's child

EDITED

HOLMES, JAMES - No MMN given, therefore illegitimate
GRO Reference: 1869 J Quarter in STOKE UPON TRENT Volume 06B Page 244

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Aug 2020 14:37

19 baptisms for the name in time-scale on Ancestry - NONE in Co. Roscommon

Some info simply isn't available -especially for Ireland