Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Nottinghamshire Archives Up date

Page 0 + 1 of 33

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 28 Apr 2011 18:03

Edit 7 Feb 2018

Hi All,

My sub to this site is up on the 11 March and I'm not going to renew it.
I'm still happy to do look ups at Nottingham Archives so Please click on my name to send me a private message with your request, and I will reply to your message. Or if you perfer I can give you my email addy if you message me before 11 March.

Wendy

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 5 May 2011 19:55

Wendy, this would be stupendous if it means you can look in parish records -- marriages/baptisms around 1825? (And who knows, if you get lucky, even farther back!)

Actually, it's probably Calverton area I'm looking for. When you say Nottingham archives, does that mean for Nottinghamshire?

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 6 May 2011 18:55

Hi JeneyCanuck,

Yes it does, let me know what you are looking for Calverton Records are at Nottingham Archives as I have looked at those for my own tree.

Wendy

Elaine

Elaine Report 6 May 2011 19:17

can you see records for Langold; Worksop, wendy?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 6 May 2011 20:20

Terrific, Wendy! Any Coopers or Smiths from Calverton in your tree? (Yes, sigh, Hills and Smiths from Cornwall, Coopers and Smiths from Nottinghamshire. I'm just lucky that way.)

I'll get at it sometime next week. If you can figure out where my grx2 grfather Reuben came from, I might even give you a hug. ;)

ps -- I'll trade you any pre-1837 Northamptonshire marriages you might be in need of!

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 6 May 2011 21:36

Hi Janey,

There are lots of Coopers from Calverton and a couple off them married into the Baguley family of my tree and I have a friend who has some of the Coopers on his tree too so fire away with your names, Smiths not on my tree but will look those up too. also give me the surname of Reuben.

Elaine

Langold only from 1943 before that it was the Church at Blyth give me details of who you are looking for and I'll see what I can do.

Wendy

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 6 May 2011 22:51

Don't I know there are a lot of Coopers in Calverton.

I met a cousin via my notes at Ancestry -- she and my mum both have Reuben as their gr-grfather.

She has adopted the line about Reuben's parents' marriage, but I don't necessarily buy it ...

I have a thread!

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/ancestors/cooper/thread/980840

It boils down to:

Reuben Cooper was supposedly born c1825, son of Sarah Smith and Robert Cooper.

He names Robert Cooper, frame work knitter, on his 1872 marriage certificate (he and Mary Ann Fallowell married several years after their last child was born, but I can't find any pre-existing marriage to explain that).

Sarah Cooper, apparently his mother, lives near him in a couple of censuses.

I can't find Reuben or Sarah in 1841.

There is a Robert Cooper in Calverton in 1841 who fits the description, with a different wife (or "wife") and younger children.

Submitted "records" show a Robert Cooper + Sarah Smith marriage but I distrust them completely. There is also a raggedy assortment of records in the IGI for other alleged children of the couple.

If you're feeling like it, have a look at the thread. Otherwise, it's just: who was Reuben Cooper??

;)

edit

Wendy -- I knew the name Baguley sounded familiar. I've run across something in my scratchings and what I'm going to do is add it to that thread of mine so as not to clutter up yours.

Elaine

Elaine Report 7 May 2011 18:49

thnx wendy....my grandads brother,fred evans married a mary collins 1921 or mary e lathom 1918. my 88yr old aunt remember the name collins,so will try and prove that. apparently she had quite a few children when they got married. went on to have mi aunty pearl. the only ones i know about is pearl and also aunty vronk(veronica?) woild love to know who the other are. we used to visit em when i was little..over 50yrs ago,in langold;worksop;nottingam. mustnt have been too far fr. sherwood forest,cos we were taken there to pick the hazelnuts when they were soft.

Elaine

Elaine Report 7 May 2011 18:51

fred was born 1896...pearl was borm c1922

Elaine

Elaine Report 7 May 2011 18:59

wendy,please ignore the 2 marys above....just read through my notes and found fred married mary(molly) picton. oct nov dec 1921. leigh.lancashire. also the address in langold was markham rd. surprising what snippets of info my aunty comes out with when pressed!

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 7 May 2011 19:04

Hi Elaine,

Found this on Freebmd

Surname First name(s) Mother District Vol Page
Births Jun 1932 (>99%)
Evans Pearl Picton Worksop 7b 54

Wendy

Elaine

Elaine Report 7 May 2011 19:59

oh...so it was 1932,not 1922...that prob y i couldnt find owt!...thnx wendy. any suggestions on how i find mollys' other children? dont know if mi uncle fred was dad to any other of her children,even though i think she was married to someone else at the time. mi aunty seems to recall that he "left town" in rather a hurry(maybe an angry husband?...lol)

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 8 May 2011 16:25

Hi Elaine,

Looking for the marriage of Fred and Mary, right you said you found it as Mary Picton and Fred Evans Dec 1921 Leigh, I looked for this and could not find it but this which is the one I think you mean: we know Picton is her maiden name.

Surname First name(s) Spouse District Vol Page
Marriages Dec 1921 (>99%)
Collins Mary E Evans Leigh 8c 417
Evans Fred Collins Leigh 8c 417

found those possible children for them:

Births Jun 1922 (>99%)
Evans Kenneth L Picton Leigh 8c 492
Births Dec 1923 (>99%)
EVANS Ivy Picton Leigh 8c 456

first Marriage of Mary Picton:
Collins William Picton Wigan 8c 12
Picton Mary E Collins Wigan 8c 12
Children:

Surname First name(s) Mother District Vol Page
Births Dec 1913 (>99%)
COLLINS Ann E Picton Leigh 8c 482
COLLINS William Picton Leigh 8c 483
Births Sep 1916 (>99%)
Collins Thomas Picton Wigan 8c 248
Births Sep 1919 (>99%)
Collins Veronica Picton Wigan 8c 246

This answers all you asked.

Wendy

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 8 May 2011 16:28

Janey,

I left a message for you on your thread.

Wendy :D

Elaine

Elaine Report 9 May 2011 11:25

thnx a million wendy....sorry i didnt reply yest...had bad back and was laying flat in bed all day! presume from dates that ann e and william were twins? wonder if there any children born between ivy in 1923 and mi aunty pearl in 1932(i put 1922 above,but that incorrect)?

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 9 May 2011 11:41

Hi Elaine,

That's OK, I only did a bit myself yesterday. Doesn't look like any were born between Ivy and Pearl.

Hope your back is better today.

Wendy

Elaine

Elaine Report 9 May 2011 12:13

thnx...i sitting in chair in mi jammies(cant bend enough to dress!),with a heat-pad on mi back! seemed strange that someone who had so many children,had a gap of 9yrs(unless there were stillbirths?) i found a mary picton on 1911 census,living at 183,heath road. ashton-in-makerfield(not far from leigh), but couldnt find picton at same address in 1901 census...all i could find was a picton family in owen st.,? in wales census. there a dau called mary,born in correct year(i think!)1892...says all born in pembrokeshire. there elizabeth,wife.1856; john.1888; james.1890; philip.1891; MARY.1892; george.1894; elizabeth.1896 and joseph.1899. could this be same mary? no mention of the husband.

littlelegs

littlelegs Report 9 May 2011 12:29

hi wendy
could you look at a marriage for me
albert freeman
married 22 5 1899 sneinton st philip
mary ann pollard
[fathers name and witnessess ]
please
thank you so much
lorraine

Darklord

Darklord Report 9 May 2011 12:43

Hi

Just a sighter at the moment, would you have access to Colston Bassett records around the early 1800s

Br

DL

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 9 May 2011 14:45

Hi Darklord,

Yes, let me know who you are looking for.

Wendy