Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

East Yorkshire Parish records

Page 0 + 1 of 8

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Derek

Derek Report 7 Mar 2009 22:17

I have recently acquired the following Parish records for east Yorkshire:............
Holy Trinity hull Baptisms 1792-1812
Sculcoates (hull) Baptisms 1790- 1806
Sculcoates (Hull) marriages1830-1837

They give participants and witnesses.and of course dates.

I also have a disc "English Parish records" yorkshire East riding.....not quite as good as it sounds......
if you think any of these may help you......give me a yell

Derek ( the same Derek who does derbyshire)

GeordieCath

GeordieCath Report 7 Mar 2009 22:27

Thanks for the offer .
Is there anything on any of these records for the Smelt family , they all came from the East Yorkshire area .

Thanks

Cath --- Who is off to bed now so will check back tomorrow .

Derek

Derek Report 7 Mar 2009 22:43

Hi Cath..more details and dates would help.........the only mention i can find of anyone called Smelt in East yorkshire are very early:

Beverley SMELT Wilson was inducted asd parish priest of BRANTINGHAM 23.11.1892

John SMELT son of Geroge SMELT of Howden ..30.01.1621

William SMELT was vicar of Settrington in 1784

I'll have a look on Census returns 1841-1901 for you..but i need some names and sates to really be of help.

Derek

Derek

Derek Report 7 Mar 2009 22:46

Yep..just checked Census records.........loads sand loads of SMELTS..Beverley. Driffield etc.......got to narrow it down fro me!

Derek

GeordieCath

GeordieCath Report 8 Mar 2009 10:24

Derek ,
Don,t worry about it as i have Ancestry for the census myself .
Just thought that some of the records you have might came up with some extra info especially the marriages .

Thanks again
Cath

Sherbert Rose

Sherbert Rose Report 8 Mar 2009 11:13

Hi Derek,

How far north do the Parish records go. I don't suppose they cover Scarborough do they?

Sandra

Derek

Derek Report 8 Mar 2009 16:45

Sherbet Rose..Hi Sandra.not heard from you for a long time!!..No they don't cover Scarborough...but i have some interest in the EastCoast myself..so if you have any dates and names I'll have a crack at it for you.

Derek.

Derek

Derek Report 8 Mar 2009 16:48

Hi maggie..there are no Smajes in the early records......If they are alive in 1901..they would have to be pretty old to appear in the records that I have....I've detailed the dates that i have.........also if they were originally Jewish..then perhaps in the esrly 19th Century they would not have been baptised in Anglican Churches. Do you know when they arrived in this country??

Derek

Derek

Derek Report 8 Mar 2009 17:52

Norfolk Dumpling...........Hi Ann..nice to hear from you.......since you ask.....................lol.....
Francis Storry is a nightmare.........1841 he is there..married to Susannah Robinson, with the children that will subsequently be taken with Susannah to her marriage with William Gilchrist......
I've a feeling there is some name changing going on here because Francis Ellott Bottrill married Susannah Robinson 5th march 1832..which is right..........and Susannah called herself Ellott when she married William....and her children were Storry/Elliott Storry/Storey......Francis Storey/Storey..the undisputed father of her children died 1847..I have the`death certificate..and Susannah Gilchrist (nee Robinson, previously Storry) died 1855.again I have the death certificate...................
.and that, my dear, is how its going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Francis Ellott Botterill is a grocer......Francis Storry is, in 1841 a provisions merchant..and on his death certificate he is a salt merchant..as he is on all the birth certiciates of his children........
Any help wold change my life!!!!!!!!

Derek x

Sarah

Sarah Report 8 Mar 2009 17:59

HI DEREK

CAN YOU LOOK TO IF IF A MARRIAGE OF A NATHANIEL CLARKE TOOK PLACE IN KEIGLEY EAST RIDING ABT 1908 -1911 HE WAS FROM WOODHOUSE LEICESTER B 1852

MANY THANKS

Derek

Derek Report 8 Mar 2009 18:03

Hi dewdrop..sorry I can't help you.....In the first place Keighley is near leeds in the West Riding..and at this stage i can only offer records for the dates i have said.......late 18th and early 19th century
I have found you man on the 1861 Census in leics.

Derek

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 8 Mar 2009 18:47

Hi Derek does East Yorkshire do Scarborough ?

*hangs head in shame for not knowing*

PME

PME Report 9 Mar 2009 00:29

Hi Derek

If you have time I would really appreciate it if you could have a look for the following event on the records you have access to:

Baptism for John Hurd, DOB according to census 1800, on every census I can find him on claims he was born in Hull. Athough on all the census's he's not living in Hull.

Ironically his grandson was born in Sculcoates and his son married in the parish of the holy trinity hull, both these events happened after 1837, luckily they are both registered so I have GRO copies of the certificates.

Thank you in advance for any time and effort you put into looking for my 3x Great Grandfather.

Michelle (PME)

Sherbert Rose

Sherbert Rose Report 9 Mar 2009 10:44

Hi Derek,

I am giving Derbyshire a rest at the moment and jumping around to other parts of the country. However, as you have been so helpful with my derbyshire ancestors I thought it might be worth asking for my East Yorkshire lot of which there are numerous. However, as Scarborough and Pickering are the nearest to Hull then this may be where you might be able to help me the most. I have William Dobson born Pickering 1809 and living in Scarborough 1861. There after him and his wife Hannah dissappear of the radar. I am not sure whether they died, moved or were simply mistranscribed.

Sandra

Derek

Derek Report 9 Mar 2009 11:25

Michelle (PME)..Hi michelle..........

John Edgar Hurd........bapt Holy trinity 09.07.1800

Mahalleel Hurd..bapt Holy trinity 21.03.1803

George Hurd bapt holy Trinity 27.11.1804

All children of Benjamin and Elizabeth Hurd......

I'm sure the second name is a mistranscription.....but its there!!

Hope this helps.

Best wishes

Derek

Derek

Derek Report 9 Mar 2009 11:26

Uzzi...........no its not east Riding..but it is east Yorkshire..so no need to hang your head.......

sorrry

derek

PME

PME Report 9 Mar 2009 12:12

Thank you so much Derek,

espically for going the extra mile and hunting down John's siblings too, I hadn't found either of those, but that doesn't surprise me as I am still using the census records.

The second name, might not be a mistranscription, as on the 1841 census the John Hurd you found a baptism for has a daughter enumerated as Mahelah (aged 7), I thought it was a mistranscription but looking at the orginal thats what the enumerators written down, and now it looks like she was her Aunts name sake.

I am going to get a copy of the records you've used to help me, if thats possiable (if you have any reccommendations as to where to get them from feel free to PM me), as I'd like to see what else I can find out about the Hurds, as I suspect there's a few other events listed but it would be too much to ask someone else to do all my research.

Once again thank you for your help.

Gigi

Gigi Report 9 Mar 2009 13:09

Hello Derek,

Thanks for the offer. Are there any Johnson baptisms parents Richard (schoolmaster) & Jane Balne East Riding. Period 1860-1870.
Thanks in advance,

Gillian

Chrisu

Chrisu Report 9 Mar 2009 13:49

Hi Derek

Any members of the Northend family please? I know some of them lived in the Sculcoates area

Thanks Chris

Helen

Helen Report 10 Mar 2009 20:29

Hi Derek,

I have the baptism of Isabella Dunn at withernwick in 1818 to parents Thomas and Ellen Dunn. Is it possible for you to see if there are any other children born to them or if there is a record for their marriage (any help would be fantastic). I am also stuck with Isabella's husbands family Thomas Johnson born in approx 1810 at Bewholme/Nunkeeling. I have found his baptism to parents william and amelia johnson and two brothers but don't know what amelia's surname is (on of thomas' brothers was called dickinson so I wondered if that could of been amelias surname?) Is it possible to see if there is any marriage for William and Amelia (she was from the Bewholme parish also).

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks Helen