Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Leslie, Fife, 1842 Isabella Steele

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jack

Jack Report 25 Feb 2009 15:15

I am trying to find information on Isabella Steele (single I believe in 1842 ) in leslie Fifeshire Scotland. If any one has information on this person please let me know.

Cheers,

Jack Steele
Ontario, Canada

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 Feb 2009 17:21

1881 - the only one I could find - a possible connection maybe?

James STEELE Head M Male 45 Scotland Paper Merchant
Sarah STEELE Wife M Female 43 Scotland
James STEELE Son U Male 22 Scotland Paper Merchants Assistant
Sarah STEELE Daur Female 20 Scotland
Isabella STEELE Daur Female 18 Scotland Scholar
William STEELE Son Male 17 Scotland Clerk
Janet STEELE Daur Female 13 Manchester, Lancashire, England Scholar
Francis STEELE Son Male 9 Manchester, Lancashire, England Scholar
Ronald STEELE Son Male 2 Manchester, Lancashire, England

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Dwelling Shrewsbury Street 6 Balmoral Terrace
Census Place Stretford, Lancashire, England
Family History Library Film 1341928
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 3886 / 85
Page Number 41

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 Feb 2009 17:23

you must have more information than you've given I think Jack - did she have sblings, or children, do you know the name of either of her parents, every little bit of information helps

Ann

Jack

Jack Report 26 Feb 2009 03:51

Hi, Sorry for the delay . away for the day. Again thank you to all for the help. Now to get on. The Isabella Steele that I am interested in had her first son in 1842 (James ) and her second son (John ) 1842, both I believe in Leslie Fifeshire. So that MIGHT make Isabella about 20 to 25 years of age and that would make her birth date 1817 to 1822 but alittle wider latitude may be required.. Now I dont THINK that she was married, but I dont know. The document that I have to support my thoughts is from some church sessions with Isabella accusing some one else of being the father. But who knows.

She was apparently dead by the time her son John was married. (1876) as stated on the marriage certificate.

(also the father John Steele was named as being dead too ? )

That is all I know of Isabella Steele.

Cheers,

Jack Steele
Ontario, Canada

Vicci

Vicci Report 26 Feb 2009 04:34

this might be her in 1841
this is assuming that Steele is her maiden name.
Have you found anything for her on www.Scotlandspeople.gov.uk or for her children births?

Name: Isabella Steele
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1821
Where born: Fife, Scotland

Civil Parish: Inverkeithing
County: Fife
Address: East Loan
Parish Number: 432
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Jane Steele 64
Isabella Steele 20

Vicci

Vicci Report 26 Feb 2009 04:41

this looks like the children in 1851

Name: James Steele
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1843
Relationship: Lodger
Where born: Leslie, Fife
Address: High Street
ED: 1
Page: 26 (click to see others on page)
Household schedule number: 130
Line: 7
Roll: CSSCT1851_89
Margaret Moodie 42
James Steele 8
John Steele 6

Source Citation: Parish: Inverkeithing; ED: 1; Page: 7; Line: 26; Roll: 694;

Vicci

Vicci Report 26 Feb 2009 04:52

Can you clear up one thing
do you believe Steele to be her maiden name?

Jack

Jack Report 26 Feb 2009 17:08

HI Victoria,

Thank you for the information and for the interest in my plight.

I can't seem to get into Scotlands People. I can get to the home page and no further.

Yes I have seen the Isabella Steele Born 1821 Inverkeithing and she might well have been the mother of the two boys, James b 1843 and John B 1845 in Inverkeithing. The one son John is most probably my GG grandfather. He named some of his children;s middle name as Moodie and also took in a couple of Moodie boys born later on. I wonder what happened to Isabella as the two children were in care so to speak, Or Also on John Steele's wedding cert the parents were named as John Steele and Isabella Douglas both deceased. And cannot find them at all. A little confusing. In the latter which makes one wonder.

So I have to determine whether Isabella Steele had her t wo boys in Leslie or inverkeithing if she had any at all, or did John Steele and Isabella Douglas have two boys in Leslie or Inverkeithing, and why were the boys seemingly abandoned.

Conundrun after conundrum.

Cheers, and thaks again.

Jack Steele
Ontario, Canada

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 26 Feb 2009 18:46

Jack

Are we looking for thebirth of Isabella Steele or Isabella Douglas now I am a bit confused. If it says Isabella Douglas on the marriage cert of her son and not Isabella Steele ms Douglas then she obv was not married and this is why we have been unable to trace birth details so far. I will go back onto Scotlands People when I know for certain who I am looking for

Regards Jackie

Jack

Jack Report 26 Feb 2009 22:57

Hi Jacqueline,

Thank you for the interest in my family quest...
To answer your questions In full.

Information given to me by Scots Ancestry Research Society in 1886 before I became interested in genealogy they reported at the first marriage of John Steele Black smith was 14 July 1876 son of John Steele millworker and Isabella Douglas (His wife was Margaret Green.) His parents John Steele and Isabella Douglas were reported as Deceased.

The 1891 census showed John Steele and second wife Isabella Wilson . John was reported as born in Inverkeithing Fifeshire.

A search in the 1851 census for Inverkeithing showed John Steele age 6 and his brother James age 8 boarding with Margaret Moodie.

NB. In the 1881 census it is reported that There was a William Moodie living with the John Steele family as well as an Elizabeth Moodie age 25 domestic servant .
And one of John Steeles sons middle name was Moodie.

In the 1851 census transcription available on Ancestry .com it is reported that in the parish of Inverkeithing there were John Steele age 6 and James Steele age 8 boarding with Margaret Moodie. And the children were suported by the Parish council.
Also it stated that John and James were born in Leslie Fifeshire.
Question What happened to the parents?? Who knows. I cant find them alive or dead at 1851 or later.

NOWS. I also have a copy of the Leslie church sessions that show an Isabella Steele accused a man of being the father of her child John in 1845. and that she had had an earlier child as well. No further information was found.

Now you know the reason for my previous questions, and I am sorry that I did not provide all the information for you to use..

Again Thank you for your interest.

Cheers,

Jack Steele
Ontario, Canada

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 27 Feb 2009 00:20

Jack

Thankyou for the info
here is what I have viewed so far and I can send images to an e-mail address of both marraige certs if you pm me

John Steele was 30 when he married Margaret Greenwas 31 his parents were both deceased at the time of the marriage John Steele Millworker and Isabella Steele nee Douglas in Glasgow
He remarried on 8 Jan 1884 to Isabella Wilson the witnesses at the wedding are noted as John and Elizabeth Wilson. The wedding took place in the Gorbals Glasgow

I have not been able to trace the birth of the boys anywhere near the dates that you gave me. The children born between 1842 and 1845 with the names John and James do not match I am afraid.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 27 Feb 2009 01:29

Jack

I have just realised that Isabella Steele having her first child in 1842 must have been the one that is married to the older John Steel the nee Douglas. It cannot possibly relate to the one who was married twice as in 1842 he was not even born. I think that somewhere along the line there has been a mix up as the younger John was married in Glagsow on both occassions. I have not managed to find a marraige for his parents ie John and Isabella or a birth for him. Going by previous information that you gave Victoria I looked for an Isabella Steele born between 1820 and 1823 and there were 4 all at the oposite side of the country from Glasgow. I am now thinking that these people are not releated in anyway.

Jackie

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 27 Feb 2009 12:49

Hi Linda

I thought that it would be easier to start at the beginninglast night and thats why I started looking for the marriage of the younger of the two John's. I cannot find any John or James registered in the Fife are around the dates quoted. with either of them as parents. There are a number of children registered and the index search gives parents names Isabella was not present on any of them and the ones that had a John had different female names and it would therfore be difficult to tell if he was the father of them or not.
1 15/06/1842 STEELE JAMES PETER STEELE MARY COUTTS FR5422 M St Andrews and St Leonards /FIFE 453/ 0190 0157 VIEW (5 CREDITS) ORDER
2 08/01/1843 STEELE JAMES GEORGE STEELE/JEAN WRIGHT FR1092 M Currie /MIDLOTHIAN 682/ 0040 0186 VIEW (5 CREDITS) ORDER
3 04/09/1844 STEELE JAMES JOHN STEELE/JANE MCARTHUR M Auldearn /NAIRN 121/ 0040 0192 VIEW (5 CREDITS) ORDER
4 09/05/1844 STEELE JAMES JOHN STEELE/MARY ANDERSON M Auchterarder /PERTH 329/ 0040 0131 VIEW (5 CREDITS) ORDER
5 05/10/1845 STEELE JAMES JOHN STEELE/AGNES BELL FR612 U Old Monkland or Coatbridge /LANARK 652/ 0020 0524 VIEW (5 CREDITS) ORDER
6 07/09/1845 STEELE JAMES WILLIAM STEELE/ALISON DICKSON FR385 U Humbie /EAST LOTHIAN 710/ 0030 0049 VIEW (5 CREDITS) ORDER
7 10/06/1845 STEELE JAMES HUGH STEELE/LILLIAS SCOTT FR217 M Greenock East /RENFREW 564/002 0020 0287 VIEW (5 CREDITS) ORDER
8 04/12/1845 STEELE JAMES DUFF WILLIAM STEELE/ M Gamrie and Macduff /BANFF 155/ 0030 0483 VIEW (5 CREDITS) ORDER
9 23/08/1844 STEELE JAMES GREY JAMES STEELE/MARGARET ANDERSON M Kinnettles /ANGUS 297/ 0020 0083 VIEW (5 CREDITS

1 03/05/1845 STEELE JOHN JOHN STEELE/JANET LEIPER FR629 M Kilbarchan /RENFREW 568/ 0030 0084 VIEW (5 CREDITS) ORDER
2 25/03/1845 STEELE JOHN JOHN STEELE/ALCIA FORBES FR3955 M Edinburgh EDINBURGH CITY/MIDLOTHIAN 685/001 0590 0128 VIEW (5 CREDITS) ORDER
3 25/02/1845 STEELE JOHN MARJORIBAN WILLIAM STEELE/MARGARET DICKSON M St Vigeans /ANGUS 319/ 0040 0301 VIEW (5 CREDITS) ORDER
Thats the only matches that came up for the childrens' names.

I had a look for Isabella Steele too but as mentioned there were no matches in the timescale. I have som credits left so I am willing to look up some more if any light can be shed on it. I have the images of the marraige certs for John Steel jnr which I can arrange to send to Jack for his records if he needs them.
i did wonder about dates though because accoding to what has been posted Isabella Steel woud have given birth to her first child in 1942 but going by John Steel's marriage cert he wasn't born until 1945/46 which would have made her a lot older. Its a tad complicated.
Regards Jackie

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 27 Feb 2009 15:32

Hi again

I did a search for marraiges between male surname Moodie and female forename Margaret but there are far too many to even start looking at them I think a bank loan would be needed for the credits. I did have a look at the image of the census and if definately states that Margaret is married. The address was 130 High St Inverkeithing so pehaps somebody who has access to all census could look further

Jackie

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 27 Feb 2009 17:43

Hi Jack and Linda

I asked a lady on here if she would do a search on other census for Margaret Moodie she found two in the same year living in High St Inverkeithing

Margaret Moodie
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1811

Margaret Moodie 30
James Moodie 25
John McCormick 15
Margaret Moodie
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1811

Robert Moodie 70
Margaret Moodie 30
Richard Baird 7
Andrew Blaick 3 Mo
Elizabeth Moodie 73
Elizabeth Marshall 21
Elizabeth McQueen 11

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 27 Feb 2009 18:26

This I found on google relating to Inverkeithing

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.
The relief of paupers after 1845 was carried out by the Parochial Board and later by the Parish Council. Their records are at the Fife Council Archive Centre

Schools
School Board Records and / or school logbooks are held at the Fife Council Archive Centre.

Jack

Jack Report 27 Feb 2009 19:52

Dear Linda and Jacquie,

Golly you two have been busy, Thank you.

Re all the dates.

As I have them
John Steele jr born circa 1845 according to the 1881 census he as born in Fifeshire, Inverkeithing, He also had a brother James born circa 1843. According to his (John's ) weding cert, his parents were John Steele and Isabella Douglas whom I cannot find.
The two boys. John jr and James w ere boarding with Mrs Margaret Moodie and their board/ schooling was paid by the parish, I can not find any direct link between Mrs Moodie and the Steele family but who knows. Yes John Jr did have several Moodies in his household in the 1881 census and John's son William's middle name was Moodie. Census stated that Margaret Moodie was born in Inverkeithing.

Also in the 1851 census Inverkeithing it stated that the boys John Jr and brother James were born in Leslie Fifeshire. That is why Have been looking at Lesle Fifeshire documents. All, I have found is minutes from 2 Kirk sessional meetings . Dated. I believe 17 September 1844, " Moderator James Henderson.
Voluntarily compeared Isobella Steel confessing that she had brought forth an illegitimate child . After being serously admonished to tell the truth she declared that John Baillie , a married man, residing at Liston, is the father of it. she also confessed that she had brought forth another illigitimate child about 3 years and 4 months previous to this date, that she then lived at Haugh a Hill in the parish of Markinch and William Anderson, a carter there is the father of it. That she had never made any application to William Anderson as she was able to support herself and child by her own industry. The officer was ordered to summon John Baillie to appear to the session on the 1st of Decenber at which time Isobella Steel was also summond to attend.
Leslie 1st December 1844

The session having met and being instituted by prayer, John Bailie after being summoned by the officer appeared and Isobella Steel did not appear. After the declaration of Isobella Steele had been redd over, and after being admonished to tell the truth declared that he was not the father of her child. etc.

As you can see this might or might not be information pertaining to My Steele family. But who knows.

Again I want to thank you all for your interest and effort on my behalf. Please do not spend any money or time on this. It is just one of those "brick walls "

I think that I will see if I can find anything on James Steele b 1842 or 3 and then call it a day on the Steele family.

Oh yes. I should not call the Kingdom of Fife Fife shire. They get upset about that. :>)

Jack Steele
Ontario, Canada

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 27 Feb 2009 20:42

I had another look on Scotlands People for info on Margaret one of the two was the widow of Daniel McCormack so I am assuming it is the one with John McCormick and the spelling is an error in the Census records. She died in 1880 aged 74 when I keyed in Moodie she showed up but on the death cert she is listed as McCormack it may be that she reverted ot her maiden name after being widowed I ran out of credits so I have not found out any info about Daniel to see if there is any connection with the Steele surname her parents were James Moodie and Agmes Moodie nee McLaghlan. Ofcourse this info is only good if that was the Margaret that the boys were staying with and as two show up in 1841 nothing can be certain.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 27 Feb 2009 20:50

Jack
There is a list for James on here born between 1842 and 1845 but I couldn't tie any of them into the information that you have posted.

Jackie

Jack

Jack Report 28 Feb 2009 03:15

Jackie and Linda.

Thank you for your interest in my problem. I am going to leave this problem for a while and see if new information comes available later on.

Thank again.

Jack Steele
Ontario, Canada