Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Desperately seeking my father

Page 0 + 1 of 10

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gemma

Gemma Report 14 Apr 2008 19:58

Hi I was hoping that someone may help me? I am looking to locate a David Long aged roughly between 47-49, he used to live in Rotherhithe old road in southwark district of London (near camberwell and surrey quays) . He knew my mother shirley lawman, she had 1 sister April & brothers, Alan, Barry & Derreck. My name is Gemma Louise Lawman and I have tried everywhere except the library resources this is due to him having lived in southwark and me now living in Dorset. Please can somebody help... i am losing faith x

Lindylu

Lindylu Report 14 Apr 2008 20:39

Gemma
I cant help I'm afraid but whatever you do dont lose faith, have you tried looking for a telephone number on 192.com?

Gemma

Gemma Report 14 Apr 2008 20:44

Hi Linda,

I have tried 192, traceline, tracesmart etc... ive looked at schools in his area on friends reunited and I would say that I have gone to the point of messaging every David Long on Facebook and Bebo websites.. no luck! Plus my mother does not approve of me finding him, he left her so she probably has bitter feelings.. I even paid some website to locate and no luck

Gypsy

Gypsy Report 14 Apr 2008 20:55

Gemma,
you say that you have tried Traceline, Could they not help? They were great when they located my father about 6 years ago.
Do you have any brothers or sisters names or parents?
Pat

Gemma

Gemma Report 14 Apr 2008 21:01

Hi Pat, no they came back as saying "No contact made" I had to keep calling them and pesting them for answers, they sent me a really lame email saying they couldnt help. You see the problem is, is that my mother never married David and he is not on my birth certificate.

I do not know anythiing but old address, rough age, name and thats its. I heard that he's mum died from his old aged neighbour but he had no clue on Davids Whereabouts

Gypsy

Gypsy Report 14 Apr 2008 21:05

I take it that you have tried contacting the people with David Long's in their tree on here?
There are a few born in London.

My mum and dad were not married either and he's not on my birth cert, so that shouldn't be a problem.
I did know my dads DOB though.
Have you tried talking to your mum, I bet that she knows more than she's telling you. I don't mean that to sound disrespectful, But I had the same with my mum.

Pat

Gemma

Gemma Report 14 Apr 2008 21:05

sorry Pat, I did not try traceline it was Tracesmart and I found Traceline too expensive at £75... I am not exactly rolling in money and can afford £20 max!!

thank anyway

Gypsy

Gypsy Report 14 Apr 2008 21:08

Gemma,
I know it is expensive. I think it was £75 for me too.
They did find my dad though. As a result of me finding him, He has now moved down to Kent ( he was living in North Wales) to be near me.
Pat

Kay????

Kay???? Report 14 Apr 2008 21:29

Gemma/

try and save a little money for a few weeks then do as Pat did,,,it maybe worth it better than paying eroll sites,,,,

Gemma

Gemma Report 14 Apr 2008 22:01

i will do that

thanks guys x

Kay????

Kay???? Report 14 Apr 2008 22:06

Gemma/

Traceline will need some personal information on hin,,,,,,,,,,date of birth, full name .....last known address )possibly)

Gemma

Gemma Report 14 Apr 2008 22:11

i have an old address, no dob or mothers maiden

Nicki

Nicki Report 15 Apr 2008 05:44

Gemma

I would try to locate the registration of the death of his mother. If you obtain that you can order the death certificate. You could then contact the informant - they may have some info for you.

The following are females with the surname LONG who passed away in Southwark between 1985 & 2006 - (Your own mother would probably know Dave's mother's christian name). Once you have info of her maiden name you will then be able to track down Dave Long's birth certificate. Having her maiden name will also aid you in the search of any possible siblings.

LONG, Annie Amelia Southwark 1997 June (DOB 3 MAR 1915)
LONG, Catherine Cairns Southwark 1988 March (DOB 5 SEP 1922)
LONG, Emma Eliza Southwark 1985 June (DOB 16 MAY 1916)
LONG, Helen Louise Southwark 1990 September (DOB 9 FEB 1926)
LONG, Ivy Lilian Southwark 1994 November (DOB 4 NOV 1919)
LONG, Kathleen Vivienne Southwark 2001 November (DOB 0 1922)
LONG, Lillian Ethel Southwark 2003 January (DOB 11 OCT 1918)

Additionally I would contact the local library and ask them to look at electoral rolls for the address you have.

Hope this helps.

Nicki

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 15 Apr 2008 06:23

Have you tried Joan Allan? She's helped lots of people on this site.

http://www.myfolks.org.uk/AboutUs.htm

Rose

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 15 Apr 2008 06:42

You could look at the electoral roll for the road for the years he was there, call the local library to the address and ask for the local studies department. They will be able to give you all the occupants of the address, and you'll then hopefully have his mothers christian name.

Tracey

PS trying to find his birth reg for you now

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 15 Apr 2008 06:46

ok, i'll add to this as i find them...

David A Long, mmn WOOTON, Camberwell, 5c 91, 3Q 1959.
David Long, mmn KEY, Camberwell, 5c 157, 2Q 1961.

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 15 Apr 2008 06:53

They are the only 2 i would consider relevant, someone else is welcome to verify this for me!

I have also only looked for the years 1959 - 1961, as per Gemma's thought tht he's 47 - 49.

Tracey

Lindylu

Lindylu Report 15 Apr 2008 10:25

What about the salvation army - dont they try to trace people?

Gemma

Gemma Report 15 Apr 2008 11:02

hey guys thanks for all your tips and advice, i have a lot to do now haha

Nicki

Nicki Report 15 Apr 2008 11:04

Gemma

Keep us updated with how you get on.

Good luck.

Nicki