Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Security of Genes website?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heathergs

Heathergs Report 12 Oct 2018 03:22

When I try to use some sections, I get a message to say "your connection is not private". This has been happening for a long time now, resulting in me not using Genes Reunited to search, or add info to my long-held tree.
What is happening? No other site or action brings up this message. :-0

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 12 Oct 2018 11:11

Unfortunately no-one from GR ever seems to look at this board. The best thing would be for you to email them with your query. Don’t expect an immediate answer but you should get one in a few days. Email:

[email protected]

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Oct 2018 20:34

It is well known that anything posted on GR boards could be found by googling ............ this sometimes happens within minutes.

I think the presence on here of a tree could be found by Googling a name BUT no-one can see your tree unless you give them permission ........ which helpers usually recommend that you do with caution, and only after determining that the person asking has a legitimate reason to think they are connected to you and not a "Name Collector".

GR themselves recommend that you do not post any contact numbers (phone or email) or your home address, because this is NOT a member-only safe site.

You contact members through GR's internal mailing system (pm)

so to sum up ...............

this is not a secure site ........... but then neither is ancestry or FMP. Names in trees can be found on those sites (and many others) by Googling)

Your tree is safe, and nothing can be seen by anyone unless you give them permission ...... this is unlike Ancestry, where you have make your tree private otherwise it is open for anyone to see.

I am NOT GR staff, just another member who likes to help .........

....... as SuffolkVera says, GR staff do NOT monitor these boards, and you will not get a reply from them on here. If you want to contact them and see what they say, use the email address she has given you.