Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

No replies from messages

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

William

William Report 19 Aug 2016 11:49

I have , for some years been trying to get replies from my intended contacts, with reference and details of names of same DOB and areas of abode.
It would seem, most don't want to have the effort of replying, and make the system useless in 90% of efforts.
Do Any other members have this problem.?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Aug 2016 17:24

William .......

EVERYONE has problems with this

Look on General Chat or Genealogy Chat and you will see lots of threads on this topic.

No point in posting on this Board as hardly anyone looks here ....... it was intended for suggestions TO G for improving the site, but they no longer check on here.

Only a few members check when they see a new post

Simple one line answers for you ..............

Member is dead, unable to post or no longer interested

Member has changed email address and not notified GR

Membership is free if all you want to do is build your tree, if a subscribing member neglects to pay their sub they are dropped into the free category.

GR NEVER deletes a tree, only the member or someone who knows their password can do that.

Many members will not reply if all you say is "tell me" ...... you must share details as to why you might be connected.

Some people simply do not want contact, this is / was a site where it was convenient to build their tree.

No-one can force anyone to reply if they do not wish to.

Thelma

Thelma Report 28 May 2017 12:42

I'm also having the same problem.Thinking of cancelling my subscription.
Thelma

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 May 2017 18:09

Thelma .....................

Read the above reply to William ...............

It's true.

Please check to see if the envelopes have been opened .... go to your SENT MESSAGES.

If there is a green envelope to the left of the name, the message has not been opened.

If there is no envelope, the message has been opened, and you just have to wait and hope.

But also, please go to the boards General Chat or Genealogy Chat to find many other threads on the same topic.

However, for your information, I do not believe you can cancel your subscription once you have been using it ...... you can only make sure that you do not renew.

Note that the automatic default for GR is AUTOMATIC renewal.

Go to your account (at the very top)

Click on My Account

Click on Subscription Details

Make sure Auto Renew is OFF

Peter46

Peter46 Report 19 Jul 2017 20:37

When a member dies they can't ask for their tree to be deleted and the last thing on the minds of their relatives is contacting GR or similar websites. If a tree appears to have become dormant and the tree owner does not respond to emails from the administrators or moderators or emails bounce. My suggestion is that the tree is marked as inactive. So if a member clicks the button to send the tree owner a message they see a warning that they will probably not receive a reply as the tree has been inactive.

In view of SylviainCanada's comments below which I take on board please ignore my suggestion.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Jul 2017 20:44

GR will not take responsibility for that ..................

it is up to the member or someone nominated by the member to do ANYTHING ot the tree.

How do you know that a person is dead or not interested just because emails bounce ............ they forgot to change their email address.

As a side line ............... is it purely an English thing to continually change your email addresses?????

Notice of changes from my friends is certainly about 90% English, people living in other countries seem to keep the same address for many years.

Also please remember that some members do not a) look on GR at all for years, or b) do not make changes to their tree.

For example ......... I have literally made no changes to my tree for at least 10 years, and I have not looked at it for at least 3 years. Yet I am on the site almost every day.

Remember, no member is under ANY responsibility to respond to any pms if they do not wish to do so.

Many of us used this site as a place to start our tree ......... I have a larger tree on another site, but at least 80% of what I have is not in any public place, only on my computer.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Jul 2017 11:41

Sylvia, re changing email addresses.

Some of it is probably linked to our chasing the cheapest internet provider. As far as I'm aware, they all insist you use an email address which they provide. Once you change supplier, either that email address is no longer available or you have to pay to access it.

We've been with BT from the start. Originally their email addresses ended @yahoo. Then they decided we had to pay for that but could have a free address ending @BT.

Although I had a subsidiary BT address - the a/c is in OHs name - it got lost in the ether when we were told to change passwords after a hack. I had to create a new one!

Although I think I've updated everyone & every site it was linked to, there's always the chance that some were missed.

I also have a free hotmail & a free google address. If they started to charge, they'd be closed.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Jul 2017 17:35

DET

That is interesting ........

....... people here seem to either use gmail or hotmail or other free, or tend to stay with the same provider.

I've been with the same company that provides our cable service since we first got internet back in 2003 ........ we'd been with that company since about 1977. I could have chosen to go with the phone service, which we'd been with since 1968.

Most of the people I know here and elsewhere are the same as me ...... we tend to stick with the one company.

OH still has access to the email account that was provided at the university, he can access it from home. There have been a couple of changes to that due to the university's own IT people tightening up on safety and access ........ the last change was the most complex and difficult to notify to everyone.