Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

RE:Can we have a like button please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GenealogyResearchAssistance

GenealogyResearchAssistance Report 28 Apr 2013 12:21

I know I've been back less than a day and here I am making suggestions. What am I like ;-)

I think being able to like individual posts , similar to facebook, but is also available with SMF(simple machine forums) like this one, would be an asset.

Renes

Renes Report 28 Apr 2013 13:47

Good idea

It's a nice way to acknowledge researcher on a thread ....

I know one thanks fior help, at the end , but it is nice to how appreciation

As the thread progresses

GenealogyResearchAssistance Report 28 Apr 2013 13:54

On a work related forum I visit regularly, we can earn Kudos points as a like and equally lose Kudos with a minus button. Works well

EDIT: GR staff could also benefit from a like button because they could use it to mark a post on this board as read so showing that they are around.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Apr 2013 03:48

Good idea, Toots

I know I've found myself several times recently "reaching" for the like button!

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 29 Apr 2013 23:59

I think a like button could/would be detrimental to the site, It could be seen as a tool to compete with others to get more "likes" especially when people disagree, thus trying to get one up on another.

You see this happening all the time without a "like" button so adding one would just make matters worse IMO

Roy

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Apr 2013 00:55

Roy

you do have a point there :-)

GenealogyResearchAssistance Report 30 Apr 2013 18:37

I can see where you are coming from Roy but on other sites I frequent it comes in handy for example sometimes you may wish to acknowledge agreement with a post without writing a comment.

Whether or not there is a like button will not deter the trolls, it just means that you have to vocalize your displeasure at what they are saying instead showing your agreement with an opposing view by just pressing a like button.

Perhaps having a dislike button will be enough to deter a troll if they get enough dislikes. It may be enough for them to reflect on their behaviour. After all nobody likes to be disliked.

Kense

Kense Report 1 May 2013 07:40

I like Roy's post.

I have seen sites where a question is asked and replies giving a correct answer have far fewer likes than one with an incorrect answer.

Graham

Graham Report 2 May 2013 15:28

good idea :-) <3 ;-)

Joy

Joy Report 2 May 2013 19:01

No, thank you; one can add a smile :)

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 3 May 2013 20:31

I agree with Roy. I think 'like' and 'dislike' buttons are a bad idea.
They could give the impression that information is accurate and correct whereas it may not be.
There is also too much scope for people 'voting' in accordance with how much they like the poster.

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 4 May 2013 21:15

OMG - As somebody who is continually being kicked to the curb regardless of what I write can't imagine getting many likes - more like a flood of dislikes. I'll stick to a smile thanks. :-D :-D :-D

GenealogyResearchAssistance Report 4 May 2013 22:10

The purpose of a like button is nothing to do with a popularity contest, it is about being in agreement with a comment without then having to go and vocalise that agreement by using an emoticon or words. On many occasions the tick of a like button is sufficient.

NanaSue you give the impression that you are victimised no matter what you post on the boards yet earlier today you ridiculed my typo on a thread on Genealogy Chat. Thankfully I am not a newbie to the boards and am not deterred by your comment.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 4 May 2013 23:04

TootyFruity, The problem for me is as I said regardless of what a like button is used for it will inevitably end up being used and accepted in other ways

As you say; " it is about being in agreement with a comment without then having to go and vocalise that agreement by using an emoticon or words"

if someone posts asking for help and someone answers with a incorrect answer but it is ticked as "like" by one or more members then some people will think it is "liked" so agree with the answer given, So in "agreement" implying its the correct answer

This could cause a serious problem because we are all researching our family tree and if the wrong answer is accepted to be correct it can have the affect of sending a fellow member in the wrong direction and being ill informed,

Genealogy to most is a serious and can be a very expensive hobby I would hate to think I had spent months possibly years and god knows how much money going in the wrong direction with my tree,

The other thing to take into account is the age range of users that are not as up to date with technology and various web sites such as FB

Roy

GenealogyResearchAssistance Report 5 May 2013 00:01

I can understand your concerns Porkie_Pie about people liking incorrect information following a request for help on the boards.

However, the fact that some may "like" a post of incorrect information will not deter the helpers from continuing the search. They will continue, as they do now when incorrect information is posted until they are happy that they have unraveled the ancestral history of the request.

I agree genealogy is serious and something I have been pursuing for many years. Like buttons are not just a face book phenomenon, they are used in other forums, SMF also supports quoting of others posts which is very useful when having a discussion.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 5 May 2013 14:54

TootyFruity, I understand that other sites have these functions that's why I said various web sites such as FB, "implying" more than one site

If we want to see genuine improvement on GR as a site then a better suggestion would be to use the notification system as other sites do when people add to a thread, This would help new members in particular as it would alert them and direct them back to their thread. it would also remind others they are still receiving help/info on that thread, Although it may also be of benefit for the more experienced to have the ability to turn the function off

The present system of (add to my watched threads) is very annoying and relies on people checking their email, when I used the function it drove me to despair and just cluttered my inbox up

Roy

GenealogyResearchAssistance Report 5 May 2013 15:15

Sorry Porkie_Pie, I misread your post late last night, the sand man was dragging me to bed.

I agree that notification would be preferable to the watched thread function which seems to be hit and miss as to whether or not it works.

Jean

Jean Report 28 Jan 2014 14:26

Suggestion How about getting access to the Support Team which I have been trying all day to contact used to be easy its not now.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Jan 2014 20:38

Jean - on your other thread (actually there are 2 exactly the same)

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/suggestions/thread/1336771

[email protected]

To send via this site
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/help/faqs?key=106

Then click on the blue underlined type in the first paragraph where it says 'Clicking Here'