Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Oldies

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Acrorat

Acrorat Report 25 Jun 2012 20:48

For persons born before 1000AD there seems to be a problem. For people born before 0AD, this is impossible.

Do we add leading zeroes or not?

It seems to allow changes from leading zeroes to no leading zeroes in the new tree format but then reverts back to the previous date styles, so a very long time has been spent and nothing has been achieved.

Also, when trying to amend children's DOBs of such Oldies, it frequently refuses to allow this, claiming, wrongly, that the children are older than the parents.

Kense

Kense Report 26 Jun 2012 08:43

There was no such year as 0 AD. The counting goes from 1 BC to 1 AD.

Gai

Gai Report 26 Jun 2012 09:30

This may sound like a dumb question but is there really records that go back that far?

Gai

Kense

Kense Report 26 Jun 2012 09:46

If you search trees you will find many instances of Jesus Christ, Julius Caesar and Augustus Caesar although the dates are usually wrong.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 26 Jun 2012 11:30

Gai

The College of Heraldry has trees going back to Adam and Eve!...Someone, a sportsman, was shown his in a series of WDYTYA.

You usually need a 'gateway' ancestor to get there tho'. That is an ancestor connected to someone who was worthy of inclusion by the College......None of mine so far count :-D

Chris

Gai

Gai Report 26 Jun 2012 12:11

KenSE, I have seen trees where people believe they are connected to Adam and Eve and Julius Caesar. Though I have always taken these trees with a grain of salt.

Chris, thanks for your reply. I have never heard of the College of Heraldry and I'm sure none of my ancestors would be included in any of their trees.

Gai

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 26 Jun 2012 15:10

The sportsman mentioned above was Matthew Pinson and the scroll containing some of his proven ancestors went back to God as its root. ;-)

Personally if it makes people happy to fantasise who their ancestors might have been I am perfectly happy for them to put whoever they like in their family tree. It is after all their tree and their business. All that I ask is that they don't expect me to believe them.

Acrorat

Acrorat Report 26 Jun 2012 15:44

KenSE's point is well taken, but the questions remain unanswered :)

For most of us these are academic questions, however, my husband has one Norman French ancestor, who has Nordic Ancestors going back before 1000AD. And another line of his may run to Cunobellus of Britain, pre-Christian era.

I know a lot of those links are highly conjectural, and the dates decidedly so!

Joy

Joy Report 26 Jun 2012 17:04

In GR members' trees there are some Cleopatra, some Abraham, etc.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 27 Jun 2012 10:02

Thanks Jonesy I couldn't remember his name and forgot the God bit :-D

Gai I got the name of the College wrong...It's the College of Arms

http://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/

Funny thing is I have a 'married in' who was the neice of a Herald so I should have known :-|

Chris

Gai

Gai Report 27 Jun 2012 13:05

Thanks Chris for the clarification and that explains when I googled the college I couldn't find anything.

Gai

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 6 Jul 2012 00:45

I found Ig and Og in their caves with their wives and all the little Igs and Ogs.

A few generations later they were McIgg & McOgg

:-D