Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ENH: Add tree merge facility

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Catherine

Catherine Report 29 May 2011 04:34

When family links have been identified and confirmed why is it not possible to merge these into my tree. It appears that when a link is found, I have to view the tree and then add each person individually onto my tree - this is a time consuming task. If there was a select and merge on these links it would make the Hot Matches a much more valuable tool.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 29 May 2011 08:30

One thing I hate about Ancestry site is the merge to other people's tree. There are so many copied trees with the wrong information in because of it and tree owners not verifying the information for themselves and blindly merging.

I see other people's trees as possibilities and do not add without confirming source information otherwise what is the point of this fascinating hobby if all we are going to do is copy

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 May 2011 18:56

I would NEVER merge anyone else's tree with mine

Nor would I expect anyone else to merge my tree with theirs.

That is one reason why I only have a small fraction of my tree on here.

I have spent a lot of time verifying information, buying certificates, etc, and I see no reason why everyone and his aunty should be able to just "take" that information.

I do not open my tree to anyone

................. BUT I do exchange pms, and often emails, with anyone who contacts me re a name.

I want to establish that we do have a true connection, and once that is established ......... then I extract the names on my tree that are specific to that branch, and I will send everything that I have.

I see people who want to "take" trees willy-nilly as possible name collectors ............ they cannot defend any of the information they have collected.

Sorry, Catherine, but that is my take on it.

If that facility is brought in, I may well remove my tree from on here.

I do have a tree on ancestry, with far more names than on here ........ but it is private, only one name can be seen by a searcher, and they have to contact me to find out anything else.

sylvia

David

David Report 29 May 2011 19:55

I Totally agree with Tootyfruity.
I was given permission to view a tree of a GR member who has 14536 relations in his tree,two of which are my Gtgrandfather and his sister. He has them with five siblings and different parents,my gtgranfather and his sister were the only children of my Gtgtgranparents whos names bear no resemblance to the names on his tree