Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

contacts

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥ Report 11 May 2011 16:05

One of the suggestions I made to GR (on a couple of occasions). Was to have the facility of filing/sorting your contacts into files for ease of correspondence. I have loads of contacts and would like to sort them into connection with various individuals in my tree. If I had files, I could pick up on previous lines of research much more easily, and catch up with GR members who would benefit from any new information on their trees.

I would also find it useful to have a file for all the people I have helped on GR who have nothing to do with my tree at all. Instead of having to try to remember the names of the contacts I made years ago.

Would anyone else benefit from this idea??

Dee

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 11 May 2011 19:27

Yes brilliant idea .......

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 12 May 2011 11:35

Yes, agreed.

I made a similar suggestion on a survey a couple of years ago, when the boards were given their last major facelift. It is probably less of an issue for those who only have a handful of contacts, but more of a must when you have several hundreds and more.

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥ Report 12 May 2011 15:02

MGH
OK for some, but not for me. I like to refresh my memory of previous contact with any one member on a specific ancestor (depending which one I am researching at the time) keeping it all together on one site is very useful to me. I can also see how long it has been since I last contacted them and drop them a message now and again to update them.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 12 May 2011 18:21

DTNs -- you do know that when you look at a PM to or from another member, you can click on their name and see all correspondence exchanged with them?

Not really what you're after, but it can be helpful.

Another thing you can do is assign 5 stars to any contact with whom you actually share family, and then I think you can sort contacts by stars.

And always put the surname in question in the subject line of your correspondence, for searching and sorting that way!

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥ Report 12 May 2011 20:51

Janey
Thank you, but yes I did know and have done all this, but it is still not an efficient way of doing things when you have so many contacts and so many ancestors with same christian and surnames! Lol.

Files would be much more practical and can be customised by yourself.