Success Stories

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Long Lost Family

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Roger

Roger Report 12 Aug 2013 21:42

Following a 20 year fruitless search and disappointing news that my adoption records have been lost, I found my birth family by complete chance. In 2007, I entered the only information I had, i.e. my birth name and dob and my mother's name, onto a family tree on the Genes Reunited website. Although I had tried to do research there was very little to go on, however, in March 2013, I received a message that someone who wanted to look at my family tree. I gave my permission while explaining there was very little information on there and back came the reply, "....I believe you are my cousin who was adopted at birth..."!!

Since then we have had a great deal of correspondence, and so much information and photographs on my mother and her family that it is hard to take it all in. I recently met up with 2 of new-found cousins and without Genes Reunited, we would never have found each other.