Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Royal Army Service Corps Service Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 12 Mar 2024 11:57

Good morning,

Am searching for an Uncle's Royal Army Service Corps record. I have a number of T/13098858 and he was enlisted in Belfast into the Pioneer Corps on 3rd November 1941. He at some point served overseas in North West Europe 17 March 1943 to 26 January 1945 and then in India between 28 August 1945 to 25 October 1946.

He died in England in 1999.

Would these records be available online somewhere please?

Jink20

Jink20 Report 12 Mar 2024 12:30

WW2 service records are not currently available online.
You will have to make an application to the MOD or National Archives.
Expect a long waiting time 6 months+
Here is a shortcut to the application

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-records-of-service

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 12 Mar 2024 12:38

But don't expect much more info than what you already have, as I found from my father's WW2 record.

Jink20

Jink20 Report 12 Mar 2024 13:06

Here's a shortcut to the Pioneer's website. You may be able to obtain further information from them. The Corps now forms part of the Royal Logistic Corps

https://www.royalpioneercorps.co.uk/rpc/

Jink20

Jink20 Report 12 Mar 2024 13:42

If you know or find out which Company your Uncle served with you may be able to find out more specific information from the War Diary of the unit he served in. I've had a look and the Diaries only appear to be available at The National Archives, Kew. If you can't visit you can request a quotation for a copy to be sent to you.

Alternatively, put his name into the National Archives Discovery search option and it may offer you a result which could include the Company he served with.

HOWEVER

The National Archives catalogue is divided into records which are identifiable by a WO (War Office) prefix

WO 171 relates to records from the Pioneer Corps

BUT

WO 421 relates to
War Office: Selected Smaller Corps Other Ranks: Service Records.
This series consists of 94,242 service records of soldiers (but not officers) who served in 12 different smaller units/corps of the British Army during the Second World War.....
but this series contains those whose SERVICE ENDED in one of the following:

The Royal Pioneer Corps (is listed amongst several others)

Unfortunately, is back to Kew again for these records but if Kew has a copy it would most likely cut down your waiting time for your Uncle's service record.

If you decide to go down this rabbit hole, I would be very interested to hear what result, if any, you achieve from a WO 421 application.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Mar 2024 15:52

Same criteria apply as on your previous enquiry about WW2 records

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/military_chat/thread/1402612

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 13 Mar 2024 04:22

Thank you one and all for your time and input. Much appreciated.

Regards,

Kathryn

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 13 Mar 2024 04:22

Thank you one and all for your time and input. Much appreciated.

Regards,

Kathryn