Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

UPDATE RAF Service Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 26 Feb 2024 08:39

Good morning,

My father, George Ernest Bryant (deceased since 1961) states on his marriage certificate in 1942 that he was a Sgt Air Gunner no: 1375865 RAF. In an outer column is some writing by the Registrar "for Sgt Air Gunner" read AC1, FMA.

I am wondering if there is somewhere that I can look at this Record or, if not where could I apply for his Service Record please?

I would like to add that I was adopted out as George and my Mother weren't married and she could not keep me. George Ernest Bryant is my father though 100%. I have my birth certificate and also a copy of his death certificate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Kathryn

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Feb 2024 10:12

Several threads on here about applying for WW2 service documents..have a browse ;-) ;-)

Jink20

Jink20 Report 26 Feb 2024 10:51

Airmen (not officers) after 1939
Records of RAF airmen who served after 1939, and of men whose service numbers were above 562875 are still with the RAF. Look on the GOV.UK website to find out how to obtain service records.

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 26 Feb 2024 10:53

Thank you for this information. Much appreciated.

Kathryn

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Feb 2024 11:39

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-records-of-service

Couldn't C&P earlier....................

Please be aware that you probably won't learn very much from his records. I obtained my late husband's WW2 RAF service record and it was very short on detail

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 26 Feb 2024 13:38

Thank you ErikaH. Very much appreciated. Will try this now. Can you remember how long it took before you received the same?

Regards,

Kathryn

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Feb 2024 13:58

Several months

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 26 Feb 2024 14:24

Thanks again ErikaH.

Kathryn

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 28 Feb 2024 09:36

Morning all. Just an update. I've received an email confirming receipt of my application for a copy of my Father's Service Record. If it can be located they will email me a copy. At the moment due to the fact that these are now free, there is quite understandably a high demand. I did send a copy of my Father's Death Certificate with the application.

Thank you all for your time and help.

Regards,

Kathryn