Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

RE WW2 BURMA

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Debbie

Debbie Report 14 Feb 2024 22:47

Hi, I'm looking for anyone who has information on a Sergeant Major who was in the Royal Engineers and was stationed in Burma and India during WW2.

His name was Albert Peddle and I'd really appreciate it if a family member of anyone had a photograph with him in it or any info regarding him. My mum would love it.

Thanks,

Debbie.

greyghost

greyghost Report 14 Feb 2024 23:30

It's unlikely that a family member will just happen by your posting.

If you go to "Search" at the top of this page and then "Search all members trees" There are men of that name listed in other peoples trees - one would be too old to be serving in WW2.

Send messages explaining why you are looking for info about him to the people who have him in their tree, if you think one of them is a possibility. Not all people wish to be contacted though and may not reply, or it can take a long time to be answered.

An A G Peddle 14841015 is listed on Find My Past under their header of British Army, Royal Engineers 1900-1949, showing he was discharged no longer physically fit for Service in 1946. No other information.

If you're related, you may be able to send for his service documents -
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-records-of-service
You could try getting in touch with the Royal Engineers Museum or RE Association , both have details via google.

There may be a story about him in the Aberdeen Evening Express Tuesday September 10th 1991 - a 75 year old man collecting for the British Heart Foundation, referred to as a retired engineer. That man would not tie in with any of the 3 in search trees.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Feb 2024 09:09

He is is five trees other than yours. Try making contact

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Feb 2024 10:47

No second forename on any of his BMD records

Died 1951

How much does your mother know about him?

Have you researched his family?

Jink20

Jink20 Report 15 Feb 2024 12:34

WW2 (REME) Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers records are held at the National Archives. The WO reference is what you need to access this record, if you choose to order a copy.

WO 420 - War Office: The Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers Other Ranks: Service Records

Reference: WO 420/39773
Description:
Name: A Peddle.
Service number: 13084875.
Date of birth: 26 March 1908.

Date: [1942-1963]
Held by: The National Archives, Kew
Former reference in its original department: ARO000007955
Legal status: Public Record(s)
Closure status: Open Document, Open Description
Access conditions: Closed Until 2024
Record opening date: 01 January 2024

National Archives content reads:

"Ordering and viewing options.
This record has not been digitised and cannot be downloaded.
This record requires preparation for production. It will take four working days to prepare.
You can order records in advance to be ready for you when you visit Kew. You will need a reader's ticket to do this. Or, you can request a quotation for a copy to be sent to you.
Book a visit
Order a copy"

Order Copy

"Before you start
Please note that the record copying service is not a research service. We allow 15 minutes per page check to identify and cost the information required. Before placing a page check, you need to have a reasonable expectation that the selected document will contain the information you require the relevant information will be easily identifiable
If your enquiry is speculative, your page check is unlikely to be successful. If you do not have the full information required, please consider contacting an independent researcher or our own research services to obtain the information you need.

The record copying process takes approximately 24 working days from start to finish. This is due to the high volume of requests that we receive each day.

There are two separate fees as part of the service:

1. the cost of a page check (£8.40)
2. the cost of making copies of a record, if it is possible to do so

Requesting a page check
Send us detailed information about what you would like copied, and we will carry out a page check to determine whether it is possible to make a copy. A page check involves a member of staff collecting the relevant record from our repositories, looking for the information you’ve specified and assessing the record’s suitability for copying. The page check costs £8.40 and is non-refundable. This covers the cost of the service and is agreed by the Treasury.

Ordering your copy
If the page check shows that we can make a copy we will email you with a full breakdown of the cost of copying the record. If not, we will email you to explain why we are not able to make a copy.

If you choose to go ahead with your order, you can decide whether you would like to receive a digital copy via email, or a hard copy by post."

Hopefully you will find this useful to your decision making process

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Feb 2024 16:55

REME is not the Royal Engineers, so perhaps Debbie has misunderstood the info passed to her about her grandfather

Jink20

Jink20 Report 15 Feb 2024 17:05

Apologies, as REME was established in 1942 and drew ranks from the Royal Engineers I put the usual numbers together and came up with 3.....

Debbie

Debbie Report 20 Feb 2024 12:49

Hi Greyghost, ErikaH and Jink2o,

Thank you all for your help. Sorry I'm on my mobile at the moment so my message may be a bit up in the air.

Jinko, you're right, it was the REME. ErikaH, that's the right man, no middle name, died in 1951. He died from stomach cancer, my mum was 16 at the time. Thank you Greyghost for your useful tips too - really appreciated.

ErikaH, do you know what trees he's in? I am just so useless on here, I'm actually surprised I managed to post correctly.

Many thanks,

Debbie.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Feb 2024 13:31

Just go to 'search all members trees' under the SEARCH button at the top right, and input his name

That's the only way to make connections with other tree owners