Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Canadian Marriage records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Virginia

Virginia Report 16 Oct 2023 08:46

My aunt married a Canadian Army Doctor in 1958 in Germany. I am trying to obtain the marriage certificate but cannot find details of the marriage. Does anyone know ho to find marriages that took place in Germany by the Canadian military.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Oct 2023 15:44

Has this question been posted before..............it seems very familiar
What nationality was your Aunt............................please?

Have you considered googling for info?

Virginia

Virginia Report 16 Oct 2023 15:54

My aunt was British and was a British Army Nurse her husband was a Canadian Army Doctor. I have checked the British Oversees marriage records but there was no trace. I do not know if they have such a thing in Canada, I have tried googling but with no luck.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Oct 2023 16:03

Canadian records of such recent vintage are much less readily available than UK ones.

WAS there another post? Or is it sheer coincidence that it seems familiar?

What was the bride's name?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Oct 2023 16:41

I didn't imagine it.....................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1400243

You didn't respond to the posts added by helpers :-| :-| :-| :-|

Virginia

Virginia Report 16 Oct 2023 17:56

No I have not posted about this before. The groom was called John Lawrence Thompson (1935-2019) and my aunt was called Jean Lyle (1934-2019)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 16 Oct 2023 18:16

Yes, you have posted before.

ErikaH has posted the link to your previous thread.

In that thread, last year, you said that you wanted to know "whereabouts in Canada they live now".

However, I see that since then you have found that they both died in 2019.

greyghost

greyghost Report 16 Oct 2023 18:54

From your previous thread - have you tried QARANC's Association.

Try contacting - https://www.qarancassociation.org.uk - the Queen Alexandra Royal Army Nursing Corps Association

Your Aunt may be or have been an Association member or someone who knew her might.

They may be able to access her service records, doubtless if serving she would have had to have asked permission to marry and his details may be in her records or a note to say when /where the wedding took place. She may have had to leave the service however as back then married females may not have been allowed to remain in service.

Virginia

Virginia Report 17 Oct 2023 07:36

I have just sent an electronic message to the Queen Alexandra Royal Army Nursing Corps Association.

Thank you.

Virginia

Virginia Report 17 Oct 2023 11:20

I heard from the Queen Alexandra Royal Nursing Corps Association. They could not help but suggested I get my aunt's service record. They did say that at the time my aunt married she would have been made to leave the service on marriage so it may not have the certificate.

What I need to now is wait for people like Find My Past and Ancestry Com who put new records on all the time. So it will appear at some point.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 31 Oct 2023 13:54

The sites you name can only add records which have been made available and Canadian authorities are very strict about adhering to rules about time-scale.

I would be surprised if these records were to be released before 2059