Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Pte B Prior I D Tag 3477 found near Ypres,

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Diane

Diane Report 19 Mar 2022 01:04

I have seen an old post dated 8th April 2015 posted by Jeffrey, I am the granddaughter of this man and would like to give Jeffrey more information,
Please does anyone have more information re my Granddad or the tag,
Many thanks. Diane,

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 19 Mar 2022 08:27

Welcome to the boards Diane.

This record from Findmypast gives the name as Bert Prior and also gives a second army number for him:-

First name(s) Bert
Second service record Soldier Number: 326262, Rank: Private, Corps: Cambridgeshire Regiment
Last name Prior
Image link http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D4727289
Year 1914-20
Country Great Britain
Service number 3477, 326262
Medal type British Army Medal Index Cards, 1914-1920
Second service number 326262
Archive reference WO372/16
Rank Private,Private
Archive reference description Campaign Medal Index Cards and Silver War Badge Cards
Second rank Private
Record set Britain, Campaign, Gallantry & Long Service Medals & Awards
Regiment Cambridgeshire Regiment
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Second corps Cambridgeshire Regiment
Subcategory Medal Rolls and Honours
Service record Soldier Number: 3477, Rank: Private, Corps: Cambridgeshire Regiment
Collections from Great Britain, UK None

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 19 Mar 2022 08:32

Have you tried clicking on Jeffrey's name and sending him a private message?

If he still has the same email address that he registered with Genes then he will be informed about your message and will be able to reply directly to you.

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 19 Mar 2022 08:39

This Silver War Badge Roll record gives the fact that he served overseas and also that he was discharged because of wounds:-

First name(s) Bert
Whether served overseas Yes
Last name Prior
Badge number 203402
Rank Private
Badge date of issue 28-Jun-1917
Service number 326262
Record set Silver War Badge Roll 1914-1920
Regiment/unit 1st. Cambs.
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Enlistment date 22-Mar-1915
Subcategory First World War
Discharge date 12-Jun-1917
Collections from England, Great Britain
Cause of discharge Wounds King's Regulation 392. (xvi).

Kath. x

greyghost

greyghost Report 19 Mar 2022 11:55

Why 2 Service numbers but only 1 regiment?
By googling

The Cambridgeshires were part of the Territorial Army -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridgeshire_Regiment

The site below explains why Bert had 2 different Service numbers whilst remaining with the Cambridgeshires -

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/renumbering-of-the-territorial-force-in-1917/

This site also states that TF men were not obliged by their terms of Service to serve overseas, although they could agree to do so

An image of the Index card (transcript posted by Kath) shows he was awarded the Victory and British medals (just about everyone got them).

Many WW1 records were lost in a fire during WW2. It would appear that Bert's was one of those unfortunately, so no further information to be found about his War service

There are numerous sites with info about the Cambs via google

This one gives dates as to where they were.
http://www.cambridgeshireregiment1914-18.co.uk/the-cambs-at-war.html

Diane

Diane Report 19 Mar 2022 12:51

Thank you both so much for your time and for all the information and links you have passed on. A little of the info I already knew but thanks to you both I will now be spending time doing more research. Early days but I am really hoping Jeffrey will read my message and I could maybe have a photo of the tag.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Mar 2022 14:07

The old thread:

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/military_chat/thread/1351066

You said, "I am really hoping Jeffrey will read my message"

Do you mean you hope he'll see your new thread here?
I think it's highly unlikely, especially after so long. Bert was not his relative, so he won't be interested in him now.
Bert wasn't even a relative of the friend who found the tag.

Jeffrey didn't bother to return to his own thread in 2015 to comment or to thank the helpers.

However, if you think it's worth trying to contact him, have you tried sending a private message to Jeffrey? (As Kath asked earlier.)

Click on his name in green at the top of his post at the beginning of the old thread and send a message.

If he still uses the same email address, GR will notify him of your message, and if you're lucky, he may perhaps reply.

Diane

Diane Report 21 Mar 2022 14:01

Thank you ArgyllGran
I know it`s a longshot but I shall continue to try. I have done as Kath advised but no luck as yet.

Diane

Diane Report 4 Apr 2022 17:01

Thought you all would be really pleased to know I got a reply from Jeffrey a few days after my post, He will be in contact with the finder of the tag. I have sent him a photograph of Granddad in his uniform before going off to war so the person will now be united with the tag for the finder.
Thank you all very much for your help, it is very much appreciated.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 4 Apr 2022 17:09

Good news!
Thanks for letting us know, Diane.