Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

May evelyn coombes

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 15 Mar 2021 13:57

I have a photo here of my aunt may ,the uniform she is wearing looks like RAF to me ,I did not know she was in the military ,May was born in 1922 ,could anyone please help me here ,she married my mams brother in 1946 in grimsby ,where my uncle was born but May was born in shoreditch ,any info on her military days I would be grateful ,I do have the photo of her in uniform with 2 other girls but cannot see where I can attach to show you ,regards sandra

greyghost

greyghost Report 15 Mar 2021 14:33

Try uploading the pictures to Keepsafe (see header top of this page) and then make them available for other members to view and put the link on here. Helpers may be able to determine the uniform for you.

Service records post 1920 / WW2 records are still with MOD - once you know which Service, you can apply for copies here -
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

and take quite a long time to get to you. I believe the system is meant to be changed at some point this year to make it easier and quicker to obtain them.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Mar 2021 14:47

Google for info and pictures of service uniforms

You will need to know which Service she was with to be able to apply

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

Sandra

Sandra Report 15 Mar 2021 15:40

Thank you everyone for your tips, I will put the photo on aunt May profile on my tree ,then try to put it on this post ,regards Sandra .

Sandra

Sandra Report 15 Mar 2021 15:41

Thank you everyone for your tips, I will put the photo on aunt May profile on my tree ,then try to put it on this post ,regards Sandra .

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 15 Mar 2021 17:42

If you think her uniform looks like an RAF uniform, perhaps she was in the WAAF.:

https://tinyurl.com/4a5j2bmz

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 15 Mar 2021 17:50

Someone named mporritt79 (a child or grandchild?) has her on their tree on Ancestry, and the photo is viewable on the tree.

It does look like a WAAF uniform to me.
The girl on the left of the photo also has wings on her jacket sleeve.

This link to the photo will only be of use if you have Ancestry membership:

https://tinyurl.com/2sb9bbc4

The tree gives her service number as 426216

forces-war-records.co.uk shows this result:

May Evelyn Coombes 426216 1940 Royal Air Force

Sandra

Sandra Report 15 Mar 2021 20:06

Thank you everyone for your help, I now know May was in the RAF, going to browse now to see how aunt May and uncle Allf met up, must have been though military connection s with her being from South England and my uncle being a Grimsby man, must have been stationed together somewhere. Regards Sandra.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 15 Mar 2021 20:59

??? From forces-war-records.co.uk -

Clarence Porritt 4058498 1946 Royal Air Force

There's no other Clarence Porritt of a suitable age to be the above man.
There was one born in Dec 1900 - but I don't think that's likely to be him in 1946.

Although one should never assume that info on someone's tree is accurate, this one seems well researched.
It says -

"
Military -
Clarence Alfred Porritt served in the military in 1940 in Hollande, Hainaut, Belgium, when he was 19 years old.
Clarence Alfred Porritt served in the military in 1940 when he was 19 years old.
1940 • Africa "