Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

INFO

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 10 Oct 2020 00:25

I would be grateful if someone could help me please my father was in the fleet air arm between 1941/1952 I know that he got married to my mother in his uniform and he several photos of him in uniform but when he died our mother got rid of them I have his medals and was wondering if there was any chance the fleet air arm would still hold his files.

Thank you

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 10 Oct 2020 08:40

There could be a long wait for documents

From 1920 onwards service documents are with MOD.

You will have to pay £30.00

Death cert required, you do not need service number or NI number if you have date of birth

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

Linda

Linda Report 10 Oct 2020 19:55

Thank you we have got a copy of his records my mother wanted to see them so brother sent away for them and got a copy but like every thing else she got rid of them so glad we have copies I just want a photo of him in uniform

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 11 Oct 2020 10:23

If you have copies of his service records and there is no photo with them then I expect your only other option is to see if any of your father's relatives (brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles etc.) have any photos of him.

You are not likely to find any online.

Kath. x

Linda

Linda Report 11 Oct 2020 19:18

Have asked around the family none has a photo of him it's very sad none of us can understand why mum would do that but her answer to some more albums she was going to throw out and I stopped her and took them home was who will want them when I'm gone I'm glad I've got them

Allan

Allan Report 12 Oct 2020 02:34

I obtained my dad's RAF records for his war service. Fortunately I had his service no from his discharge papers as the date of birth on the main records was incorrect.

There was no possibility of him altering his age to enable him to join up as he enlisted aged 24.

Linda

Linda Report 12 Oct 2020 11:03

It looks has if I will have to get in touch with the fleet air arm again thank you all for your help

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 12 Oct 2020 12:09

Do you know where he served?

A lot of ships/shore stations have associations, usually with photo collections. They are unlikely to be photos of an individual, but you should at least find a group photo.
Perhaps a passing-out parade, or more likely in wartime photos on an airfield somewhere.

Also, the Imperial War Museum has a huge collection of photos - a lot of them the ones that you see on TV programmes.

Good luck.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 13 Oct 2020 21:43

I can remember various wedding photos of close friends of my parents. We children back in 1950s used to refer to them as Aunties and Uncles.

Did you have similar friends of your families, who you may find on a member's tree on this site.?
You might find someone held on to wedding photos as my parents did.