Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Army

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 29 Dec 2019 01:19

How will I find out where my father served during the war his name was William Thomas harold tibbles from Bethnal Green London. Born May 8th 1918.
Thank you
Jeanette

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 29 Dec 2019 10:04

WW2 army records are not online.

If you know his service number you can apply for a copy of his army record. It will cost £30, and will take weeks if not months to arrive.

Details and application forms here:

https://tinyurl.com/gph5frz

However, it may not give you a great deal of detail, as I discovered from my own father's WW2 record.

If you know what regiment or part of the army he was with, you can research that and see where they were deployed.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 29 Dec 2019 10:15

This is him in the 1939 register with his mother and sister:-

13 Busby Street, Bethnal Green, London, England

First name(s) Last name(s) DOB Sex Occupation Marital status Schedule Schedule Sub Number

Emma S Tibbles 25 Dec 1880 Female Box Maker (Cardboard) Widowed 165 1
Florence Sproule (Tibbles) 17 Feb 1922 Female Gown Machinist Single 165 2
William T H Tibbles 08 May 1918 Male Salesman & Stock Keeper In Boot & Shoe Warehouse Single 165 3<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 29 Dec 2019 10:20

If he was already in the army when he married then you may find his army number on his marriage certificate:-

First name(s) WILLIAM T H
Last name TIBBLES
Marriage quarter 1
Marriage year 1941
Registration month -
MarriageFinder ™

WILLIAM T H TIBBLES married one of these people

Mary Cook

Spouse's last name Cook
District Scarborough
District number -
County Yorkshire