Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Army Numbers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mavis

Mavis Report 5 Sep 2018 10:57

Is it possible to say from a army number to say when that person joined up ??

Harry/Henry S Saunter born june 1892 joined the Royal Horse Art. number
67285 no records survive for him apart from medal card

It was thought that he joined the army aged 16 which would have been 1908 --

we have a picture dated 1911- of the best turned out Gun team with silver cup --- which is thought Harry was in --- won for the 2nd time.

But on 1911 census in Burwash Harry is entered with his family as a farm worker ?

Mavis

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 5 Sep 2018 11:15

My grandfather in 1907 aged 16 joined the special reserves of his local regiment the South Staffs. There was a national call to join up and be trained but then go back to civilian life. It was an early version of the territorials. He was later called up for WW1. They did have to go back at intervals for more training so perhaps he was part of the gun team as well as being back at home for the census.

At this time the army numbers belonged to each regiment so you would not only need to know which regiment he ended up in during WW1 but also if he started WW1 with them. I have found that due to depletion of men in particular regiments survivers were transferred to other regiments and acquired new numbers.

Did you know that over 70% of the WW1 docs. were destroyed by fire in a bombing raid during WW2?

By the way I found no docs. for WW1 for my grandfather even though I know he fought and survived. I did however find his special reserves attestation docs. from 1907 online :-D

Mavis

Mavis Report 5 Sep 2018 11:37

Thanks to all who have looked but just discovered on FMP a record and details
of when he tried to join up again 1939 it give his old number and the date he 1st
joined up 19.09.11

Mavis

Kay????

Kay???? Report 9 Sep 2018 22:27

John Edward
Last name Lindfield
Age 20
Birth year 1899
Birth town Portslade
Birth county Sussex
Service number**** 67285*****
Regiment Royal Fusiliers
Unit / Battalion 5th, 2/1st Battalion
Year 1919
Residence town Steyning
Residence county Sussex
Residence country England
Series WO 363
Series description Wo 363 - First World War Service Records 'Burnt Documents'
Archive The National Archives.

The service No belonged to the Regiment Royal Fusiliers.

Mavis

Mavis Report 10 Sep 2018 21:17

thanks you Kay????? I have found out from FMP

that the person in question joined up 19 Sep 1911

Mavis