Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 12 Apr 2018 18:07

Does anyone here who may have served in the irish Guards in the 1950's and toured Cyprus in 1958 remember a Timothy O'Brien . He left in 1959 following a Cyprus tour and was based at Victoria Barracks I believe just before he was discharged. I know its a long shot but anything is worth a tryt. The archives have no information other than his name, service number and discharge date.
Thanks
Linda

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 13 Apr 2018 16:17

You won't be able to access his army career as MOD has all the files from 1920. Only the person themselves can access their files. After death next of kin can access the files and then when the person has been dead 25 years anyone can access the files.There is a charge.

I would suggest you try Forces Reunited as a better bet than on here.

https://www.forcesreunited.co.uk

Linda

Linda Report 13 Apr 2018 17:02

Thanks. Already tried that. No luck there.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 14 Apr 2018 17:50

You can actually get limited access to his military records earlier than 25 years after death - but you have to produce his death cert.

Your other thread says you haven't found a record of his death in order to buy a copy of the cert.

It's quite possible he hasn't yet died (unless you know different) - or maybe only very recently, in which case it won't be shown online.

Other thread:

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/military_chat/thread/1368791

Info from the online application form:

Note that if you are not the immediate Next of Kin or do not have the consent of the Next of Kin* then for a period of 25 years following the date of death the only information that will be disclosed to you is surname; forename; rank; service number; regiment/corps; place of birth; age; date of birth; date of death where this occurred in service; the date an individual joined the service, the date of leaving; good conduct medals (i.e. Long Service and Good Conduct Medal (LS&GCM)), and any orders of chivalry and gallantry medals (decorations of valour) awarded, some of which may have been announced in the London Gazette.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

EDIT:
Actually, probably only what the archives people have already told you.